At least five passengers killed and 30 others injured in bus accident in Thailand

webfact

15732723253644.jpg

At least five passengers were killed and 30 others were injured when the air-conditioned bus, operated by Thailand’s the state-run Transport Company in which they were travelling, crashed into a supporting pillar of as flyover in front of a shopping mall in Muang district of the central province of Saraburi Saturday afternoon.

Police in Saraburi said that the bus, which began its journey in the north-eastern province of Roi-et, was heading for Bangkok when the accident occurred.

Police suspect that the driver might have fallen asleep at the wheel, but the driver denied this and argued that one of the tyres might have burst, causing him to lose control of the vehicle.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/at-least-five-passengers-killed-and-30-others-injured-in-bus-accident-in-thailands-saraburi/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-03-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 11

16 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Your too quick to judge, if you saw the video, you would see that either he is telling the truth and a tyre burst well before the pillar, or he went over something as you can see the bus lean to the left and take out a street light post and then swing him to the right

So, either way you are blaming the bus company. Bad driving or bad maintenance. Though would not be surprised if the state run bus company to say on further inspection all the passengers ran to one side of the bus causing the crash, to avoid the huge pending insurance payouts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

... holy khrap, on the pic that 'bus' looks like a f'n movie prop, you know those Wild West towns which are fronts only, Potemkin villages ...

Made from corrugated cardboard these deathtraps?? 

Yes sir, but we use 2 layers, mostly ... and don't forget the paint ...!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, frankie machine said:

it looks like the bus first struck a light pole, maybe 20 or 30 yards before the pillar.  

you are correct, I wonder was he using his phone which would not be unusual - the cause of many accidents here 

RIP 

• Like 1

Do they ever reveal, after notifying family of course, the names and ages of those who've died, and been injured?

I don't recall this happening here, but then there is little follow-up on stories here.

Without names and faces victims simply become statistics we quote, often in a false-equivalent argument.

With names, faces and ages - one assumes at least one child was injured in this accident - there is no real public awareness, calls for accountability, and thus a stronger public demand for change.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

That statement reminds me of a time decades when I was pulled over by a cop who said to me that I was speeding.

The conversation went like this; so officer, you state that I was speeding, please advise what device you used to determine the speed I was doing, was it a radar device or something like that, not on this occasion, no, we are also trained to determine speed by using our eyes as well.

Do you really want to waste your time writing up that ticket officer because I can see this being thrown out by the judge, besides, you also stated that you were travelling in the opposite direction, when you alleged that I was speeding, all of this recorded here on my mobile.

You can guess how this ended up.

were you speeding ?, I suppose in your opinion that is irrelevant 

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

were you speeding ?, I suppose in your opinion that is irrelevant 

My brother once said to me, never admit guilt, unless they have the proof, otherwise the only thing that will come of it, is you losing your license and paying a huge fine, or paying a huge fine with your license's points being reduced to almost zero for 3 years, depending on the speed you were doing.

That said, I was speeding in a rural area on a highway with no side streets, traffic lights, or anything that could come in my way, just the straight "highway to hell" with a barrier in the centre so that nothing could cross onto my side of the road while I was riding battle star galactica at warp speed.

The above said, the cop had nothing to prove that I was speeding, except his "trained" eye, and I know the judge would say that the burden of proof would lay on the word of a police officer, which one could argue is worth nothing, that is why they are provided with tools to prove people speed, game over.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Do they ever reveal, after notifying family of course, the names and ages of those who've died, and been injured?

I don't recall this happening here, but then there is little follow-up on stories here.

Without names and faces victims simply become statistics we quote, often in a false-equivalent argument.

With names, faces and ages - one assumes at least one child was injured in this accident - there is no real public awareness, calls for accountability, and thus a stronger public demand for change.

Plenty of times victims are identified but it makes no difference to the mentality here.With as many as  25,000 dying on the roads each year means they simply ARE statistics .

• Sad 1

This is where it happened - opposite view to the camera.

bus.JPG.3a88b6c084b83ed4ad773d6f430344e0.JPG

It seems the bus collected the dividing curb, took out the pole in the centre picture and then the 90 k sign just before the overpass.

Opinions on whether he was under that speed in the outside lane may vary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, it is what it is said:

but the driver denied this and argued that one of the tyres might have burst

'might' have burst? maybe if he'd been awake he'd know.

RIP to those lost and swift recovery to the injured.

Did u watch the video? It clearly shows the right front tyre blow out.

• Like 1