Retirement Visa by the 65K thb method

6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

And many banks now have a 50,000 baht limit.

IMO, Bangkok Bank & Wise transfers, is the best choice for expats using the monthly deposit method.

Plenty of threads on Asean Now on how to set it up properly to avoid any problems.

Edited by bbko

2 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

The Citibank US to Citibank TH did work as proof for immigrations in the past, 3 + years ago,   when I was living Thailand and US embassy stopped issuing the proof of income letters and Immigration wanted documentation.  This has to be the first time ever I can't follow what you are saying.  Rules?  2 or 3 transfers? My plan would be a record of 12 monthly  transfers and independent of the type(s) of visas during that time.   Why would Immigration consider my previous stay and deny my application?  What would previous stay have to do with a new stay?  As I never had any issues with previous retirement visas - 6 years of them.

They wouldn't have an issue with a full 12 months of credit transfers, UJ is pointing out that if you attempted to use 2 or 3 transfers for what would be an initial extension, because you have a history of previous extensions, this might be denied.   I guess that you will be border hopping to maintain visa status until you apply for an extension in 12 months?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pagallim said:

They wouldn't have an issue with a full 12 months of credit transfers, UJ is pointing out that if you attempted to use 2 or 3 transfers for what would be an initial extension, because you have a history of previous extensions, this might be denied.   I guess that you will be border hopping to maintain visa status until you apply for an extension in 12 months?

Thank you! for clarifying UJ's point...and you're the first post that imho 'get's it'. Monthly deposits,  short term visas, visas extended, border happing as necessary - for 12 months.  Pray that it works.

3 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

My bank would provide that in a hot minute and also verify the funds were transferred from outside Thailand.

Sounds you're good to go.

As you reveal more details it becomes obvious you've got a good handle on all the requirements.

Please follow up once you get your "retirement visa".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

I think Supporting Documents #3 says it all.  12 months bank statement, regular deposit, into Thai bank.  My bank would provide that in a hot minute and also verify the funds were transferred from outside Thailand.

My Local Bangkok Bank said 2 weeks to make my 12 month bank statements, so Make sure you agree with your local bank early enough to make sure you get them in time. 

Im not sure every branch bank do the service or you have to do it from where you opened the account? Anyone can confirm? 

I was going to change phone nr and adress, but could only do where I opened my account. 

• Like 1

Nobody has mentioned the proof of income letter from certain embassies. I have never been asked for bank statements by any IMO. Certain embassies will issue the letter based on proof (bank statements showing international transfers) of income with either three or six months of statements. When I applied for my Non-O in Phuket I certainly did not have 800K in the bank but that was 11 years ago. My point is based on your nationality find out if your embassy issues proof letters and if you're lucky you will be Canadian.

1 minute ago, Headgame said:

Nobody has mentioned the proof of income letter from certain embassies. I have never been asked for bank statements by any IMO. Certain embassies will issue the letter based on proof (bank statements showing international transfers) of income with either three or six months of statements. When I applied for my Non-O in Phuket I certainly did not have 800K in the bank but that was 11 years ago. My point is based on your nationality find out if your embassy issues proof letters and if you're lucky you will be Canadian.

I have used Income letter two times from Norwegian embassy.

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Ever heard of SWIFT-transactions from bank to bank, or equal from USA? The only company you need is the banks, and then there is no difficulty at all. And, please do not say that you will cry over losing a few buck on the exchange rate. In that case you can´t afford Thailand. 

Actually SWIFT can be a real PIA using some banks - and some will just not do without a personal visit to sign paperwork.  But for others it can work fine but there can be home bank fee, transfer bank fee, Thai bank fee.  If doing you do want to send home country currency and not have home bank convert to baht (as that will most likely be much worse that "a few buck".

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

My Local Bangkok Bank said 2 weeks to make my 12 month bank statements, so Make sure you agree with your local bank early enough to make sure you get them in time. 

Im not sure every branch bank do the service or you have to do it from where you opened the account? Anyone can confirm? 

I was going to change phone nr and adress, but could only do where I opened my account. 

Paperwork comes from Bangkok Bank Hqs but believe any branch can request - in my experience in Bangkok a week is about what it normally takes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not clear cut. Some offices are bit anal about source of funds.

They also love the word "PENSION".

Think many guys indeed receive a pension. Others have savings and possibly rental income and general investments.

When income letters became unavailable for some countries it has caused an issue for some folk.

Being Oz (no income letter) and also not entitled to any pension (for me) to use income method could be problematic.

Perhaps depending on how fussy the immigration office is.

Sure, most of monthly income based retirement extension are based upon pension. The reason is simple, because most people in the world that choose to retire do it at the age of pension and do receive such funds. I know it is different depending on what country you are coming from, and also what Immigration office you are using in Thailand.

However, down to the core, as far as I know, there is nothing standing in the immigration law that states more than you might have to show origin of funds regarding country and possible bank account. No where does it stand you have to show who transferred the money to your bank account. That, because the origin of funds, will always be your bank account in another country if you are not sending your pension directly to your bank account.

Just as a small note: What they love or like, has never had anything to do with it.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, fredscats said:

All accomplished two months ago,to no heed,first time to use agent. Top and bottom they want agent use,even agent stated imm change the rules virtually daily

Explain please,

If they force me to use agent, when I have my complete paperwork as requested, I will report them, and if necessary, If that give me trouble, I will move from Thailand. 

I will not be forced to use agent, when I qualify for a valid visa on every request they have! I apply for renewal of my visa 45 days prior to end date, so they can try every trick they want. 

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Exactly! Not that Siam Legal is my superior choice of trust, but it will do in some cases. 

Exactly,  Head of imm informed  no transferwise is acceptable now, only bank to bank,with confirmation from home country of pension is acceptable(his words)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually SWIFT can be a real PIA using some banks - and some will just not do without a personal visit to sign paperwork.  But for others it can work fine but there can be home bank fee, transfer bank fee, Thai bank fee.  If doing you do want to send home country currency and not have home bank convert to baht (as that will most likely be much worse that "a few buck".

What? If you are using SWIFT and that becomes a PIA, then you are really using a <deleted>ty bank.

And, thank you! There it came. You were the first one. I knew it would be complaining about losing soo much. Buuh Huuu! Let´s say like this. You might lose 5k baht a month. People that can´t afford that in exchange for a trouble free bank letter, falls into these two brackets according to me:

• A person that are living on such minimum income and economy, that 5k baht can ruin their possibility to stay.
  • A person that cries when they <deleted>, because they can´t live with the thought of losing 5k of their precious beer money to feed their growing alcoholism every month.

According to me, again, such persons have nothing to do abroad.

39 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Just as a small note: What they love or like, has never had anything to do with it

There are many past threads regarding this ....

This attached thread below proves nothing apart from illustrating the source of the funds can be asked for.

Bit irrelevant if it's a written law or not. 

I have noticed over recent years that some offices are becoming more difficult regarding this, especially for those without embassy income letter.

BTW ..I would suggest that what the immigration office wants/requires, has everything to do with it. 

Edited by DrJack54

6 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

Thank you for that advice.  Would you know, assuming all the transfers are successfully logged as international, if the money once in the account is free to be withdrawn and there are no balance requirements either during the year of depositing or at the end of that period when applying for the retirement visa based on 65K method?

I entered over a decade ago on an "O-A Visa" granted in the US. I have only ever used the monthly income method as my funds are invested and earning me money so I do not think parking 800,000 baht in a Thai bank is the wisest choice for me. Every month, I transfer $2200 USD from my US bank to my Bangkok Bank Account via Wise ... on the Wise website, I always "check" the reason for the transfer as "for long term living expenses in Thailand". That assures that Wise will directly deposit into my Bangkok Bank Acct. The bank logs it in as an FTT which is what immigration here in Chiang Mai wants to see for the extension of stay as funds coming into Thailand. I spend the 65,000 baht every month so I assure you there is no remaining balance needed to be shown, nor any "pension" letter needed. I do have an additional Thai bank account for savings but this plays no part in my annual extension of stay documentation. I want to change to an "O" Visa once the borders open but that is another subject.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But the immigration order allowing transfers into a Thai bank account states it does not have to be 12 months if it is the first one.

image.png.12a1f57edc775a4782d021d9e42e0a1a.png 

Does this apply to the first marriage visa extension if showing monthly income from abroad of 40k+?

33 minutes ago, fredscats said:

Exactly,  Head of imm informed  no transferwise is acceptable now, only bank to bank,with confirmation from home country of pension is acceptable(his words)

Wow! Fortunately not applicable to me here in Chiang Mai. As an American, I do not receive any "pension". I draw on my own invested retirement funds, plus my SS (SS under 65K baht a month).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BudRight said:

Does this apply to the first marriage visa extension if showing monthly income from abroad of 40k+?

Yes, same criteria if first extension, regardless of being for retirement or through marriage, but not if you are changing from one to another.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But the immigration order allowing transfers into a Thai bank account states it does not have to be 12 months if it is the first one.

image.png.12a1f57edc775a4782d021d9e42e0a1a.png 

I believe I heard some got trouble after they had used embassy letter, and next renewal tried to use transfers, and a few months was under 65k, even they had transferred more than 65k other months and the total for a year was much higher than 65k in average. 

However, I have heard so much about different minor details making the visa making or renewal. 

Latest was another Norwegian who had all bank transfers, was asked for embassy letter, since he had that last renewal, and when showing up with embassy letter, they wanted the bank transfers as well. 

old man who have been living here for more than 25 years, also been working in Thailand before retire here. It clearly makes additional stress to some, even they have everything and do everything by the “book”

It is as simple as they want pictures from your house with everybody in the housebook present, and from dining room and also kitchen. One year they want it for renewal, the next when you got, they are not interested, so bring everything they asked before, even they did not need it one year, it doesnt mean they will not ask for it next year. 

1 hour ago, fredscats said:

This is quite a bold and definitive statement. And it runs contrary to hundreds if not thousands of first-hand experiences documented here and on FB.

Are you free to share any background, or details?

This "Head of Imm" informed you? Directly? When? Under what circumstances did this conversation arise?

I used WISE once, it was bank (BofA) to Bank (Bangkok Bank).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

This is quite a bold and definitive statement. And it runs contrary to hundreds if not thousands of first-hand experiences documented here and on FB.

Are you free to share any background, or details?

This "Head of Imm" informed you? Directly? When? Under what circumstances did this conversation arise?

I used WISE once, it was bank (BofA) to Bank (Bangkok Bank).

Head imm Jomptien     Used 65k method for years,not this year or by look of it any year from now on   

I used WISE once, it was bank (BofA) to Bank (Bangkok Bank).   This is not bank to bank

40 minutes ago, BudRight said:

Yes it is the same in the order allowing them for extensions based upon marriage. It has the same exact wording.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fredscats said:

This is not bank to bank

Perhaps you or your Head of Imm contact could clarify how using WISE to transfer money from one bank to another is "not bank to bank"?

Is using SWIFT "bank to bank" acceptable? Is having an SSA benefit directly deposited "bank-to-bank" acceptable?

I mean for those of us who are unenlightened?

10 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Perhaps you or your Head of Imm contact could clarify how using WISE to transfer money from one bank to another is "not bank to bank"?

Is using SWIFT "bank to bank" acceptable? Is having an SSA benefit directly deposited "bank-to-bank" acceptable?

I mean for those of us who are unenlightened?

Let imm enlighten you on next renewal

• Haha 1