Labour Min Pushing to Finalise Employment Agreement With Saudi Arabia

snoop1130

6487987ecd296171b44f9504bc764788_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Labour is working to finalize the employment agreement on labour export with the Saudi government following the normalization of diplomatic relations between Saudi Arabia and Thailand.

Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin has disclosed that the ministry is presently pressing for the deal to export labour to Saudi Arabia to be finalized. Key details have already been agreed upon, and the bilateral labour agreement is expected to be signed soon.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Labour cooperation between both countries has strengthened following Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha’s visit to Saudi Arabia, which resulted in the full restoration of diplomatic relations. Thailand recently welcomed Saudi Deputy Minister for International Affairs Adnan Abdullah M. Alnuim, who met with Thai officials to discuss labour issues and strengthen bilateral relations. Labour Minister Suchart will also make an official visit to Saudi Arabia on March 28, 2022.

Meanwhile, government spokesperson Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana stated the Prime Minister is pleased that the Saudi government has allowed Thai visitors to visit Saudi Arabia while permitting Saudi citizens to visit Thailand. The Saudi government has also lifted its ban on Thai chicken and poultry products, opening up a significant trade opportunity for Thai businesses.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-03-17

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

ดอนเมืองฟ_๒๐๐๕๐๓_0013.jpg

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin has disclosed that the ministry is presently pressing for the deal to export labour to Saudi Arabia to be finalized. Key details have already been agreed upon, and the bilateral labour agreement is expected to be signed soon.

Bilateral?

I wonder how many Saudi's will be allowed to work in Thailand?

• Haha 2

someone correct me if I am wrong 

Thailand recently said they had a labour shortage but want to export Thai people to work overseas 

Thailand brings in huge numbers of migrants from neighbouring countries to work (slave) here, were they are not covered by minimum wage etc - which quite frankly I call that abuse

My not get the Thais to work in Thailand instead and let Cambodia and Burma supply overseas workers 

• Like 1

In among all the fancy legalese language you need to spell out that Thais are human being and need things like food, water and clothing from their employers, or the cash to buy them with. Also add a rider that it will nullify the treaty if it is found that employers are depriving Thai workers of their passports.

7 hours ago, smedly said:

someone correct me if I am wrong 

Thailand recently said they had a labour shortage but want to export Thai people to work overseas 

Thailand brings in huge numbers of migrants from neighbouring countries to work (slave) here, were they are not covered by minimum wage etc - which quite frankly I call that abuse

My not get the Thais to work in Thailand instead and let Cambodia and Burma supply overseas workers 

As always: money. Someone (or several someones) high up probably stand to make a nice chunk of change off of this deal. Those people don't give a toss about the labour shortage in Thailand.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 10:56 AM, Pedrogaz said:

In among all the fancy legalese language you need to spell out that Thais are human being and need things like food, water and clothing from their employers, or the cash to buy them with. Also add a rider that it will nullify the treaty if it is found that employers are depriving Thai workers of their passports.

Is it not still standard procedure that foreigners in Saudi, have to hand over their passports to their employers? It was for me. Also to leave the country, your employer has to obtain an Exit permit put into your passport?

On 3/17/2022 at 5:40 PM, snoop1130 said:

The Ministry of Labour is working to finalize the employment agreement on labour export with the Saudi government

Section 93-1 sub-clause 1, paragraph one: all thais must return to thailand with the exact same number of hands that they left with.