Thailand’s liquor vendors want 2-5pm alcohol sales ban revoked

snoop1130

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Think about it ; Kids are in school at 2 PM and its illegal for them to buy alcohol anyway .

Why would there need to be a law forbidding kids from buying alcohol at certain times, when there's already a law stating kids  cannot buy alcohol at anytime ?

Did you know that stores (in my experience 7-11s) near to schools are not allowed to sell alcohol? Not sure what the proximity limit is but there is a 7-11 in Soi 88, Hua Hin opposite a school that does not sell alcohol.

14 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Did you know that stores (in my experience 7-11s) near to schools are not allowed to sell alcohol? Not sure what the proximity limit is but there is a 7-11 in Soi 88, Hua Hin opposite a school that does not sell alcohol.

Well I have news for you try any normal shop or 7/11 in Oz to buy alcohol is a no no you can only buy alcohol in bottleshops but they are open all day not in supermarkets but some have a bottleshop attached but not in a supermarket or 7/11

Edited by Meat Pie 47
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The alcohol ban is for Universities and higher educational sites , alcohol cannot be sold within 300 meters of a Uni or college , that ban doesn't apply to lower schools  

Here's a street view of the 7-11 and school in Hua Hin. Don't think it's higher-ed. Maybe rules interpreted differently by certain juristictions? I asked staff and they told me because of the school. That's what they said (and they definitely did not have any alcohol displays).

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

when folks take Lao Khao shots before they head out to work or drive the kids to school

The worst drivers on the road are those in the รถรับส่งนักเรียน minivans (car to get and send students), packed full of kids, before and after school. Driving too fast, swerving around the other cars. Wife and I say they're definitely on the lao khao. I'd say they're a far greater danger to the kids than them drinking alcohol directly.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

When shopping at Big C, Tesco etc. Its really annoying when you get to the checkout at 2.05pm and they remove it from the belt and say NO ALCOHOL (with a smile).

I reckon, sometimes they enjoy saying that to foreigners.

If I get to Makro or any other place to buy my cases just before the 2pm cut off, I will grab the cases, go to the less than 10 items, get the to scan it, pay for it with 2 minutes to spare usually, and then go back in and do me shopping, too easy.

Truth be told, took me a while to get around the time restrictions as I used to mix them up, e.g. I would think the alcohol sales were between 2-5 instead of 11-2, how many times was I told, no can sell, come back after 5pm, how embarrassment.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

If I get to Makro or any other place to buy my cases just before the 2pm cut off, I will grab the cases, go to the less than 10 items, get the to scan it, pay for it with 2 minutes to spare usually, and then go back in and do me shopping, too easy.

Truth be told, took me a while to get around the time restrictions as I used to mix them up, e.g. I would think the alcohol sales were between 2-5 instead of 11-2, how many times was I told, no can sell, come back after 5pm, how embarrassment.

Agree 

Like a few of the members are saying, you've got to schedule your shopping around the alcohol sale times. Weird law 

At times after my shopping I've stopped of at the Thai bottle shop to buy my alcohol, they're everywhere (they've done well during covid) and sell all the time.

Only problem I've found they don't take credit cards. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

At times after my shopping I've stopped of at the Thai bottle shop to buy my alcohol, they're everywhere (they've done well during covid) and sell all the time.

Only problem I've found they don't take credit cards. 

I don't own a credit card, personal choice for what's it's worth, that said, the particular beer that I buy is about 2 x 330ml bottles cheaper at Makro than the local bottle shop, so I figure why pay for example 680 baht, when I can buy it for 600 baht, 2 free 330ml bottles for me.

The above said, I will buy 2 cases at a time as Makro is an hours drive for me and those 2 cases will last me 6 weeks, believe it or not, yes I am a slow drinker as I respect my liver, laugh if you like, but have seen a few too many go by the waste side from that thing we all enjoy too much, for me, its enjoyment by moderation. 

• Like 2