Thailand drops pre-departure RT-PCR tests for overseas arrivals, allows Songkran celebrations

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

Few insurance I have checked says medically or legally by government regulations necessary. 

Interesting.  Which ones have you checked?  I imagine people will be queuing up to buy them.  The exclusions will be in the small print of the contract which should be studied closely before signing. 

• Like 1

All this talk of widespread scams is a bit over the top. It seemed a few months ago there were some stories of people getting hit with huge bills and hospital stays but none since. I may have missed such articles.

I think the government was likely under pressure to keep the one night Test and Go given the cost to hotels and others in it's implementation, and to keep the money coming,  but to say there is some broad scheme to have false positive tests or similar, does not seem to be borne out by the evidence at this point in time.

I'll be happy to save $150 on a PCR test at the Australian airport, and hours of waiting around, if and when I go to Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

You are not the first one to claim this, yet when prompted so far nobody has been able to provide a link to such a policy.

If you are aware of a policy that covers the costs of asymptomatic enforced quarantine then please share a link. I would be extremely grateful. As would, I'm sure, many other people on this forum. Thank you.

Exactly!  I found one that did but it was a) not easy, b) the company was not Thai, thus, c) expensive.  April International.  Asymptomatic admission to medical facilities (not just registered hospitals) specifically listed as included.  Not one of the 10+ others I checked did (at least not after I asked for a contract / proposal and read it thoroughly).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Onerak said:

Why it won't cover. And if not covered why I would buy the insurance. I will simply refuse to pay telling them I have insurance, approved by the government, and I don't have money.

And then they'll lock you up until you do pay...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

All this talk of widespread scams is a bit over the top.

Any scheme to defraud or mislead involves, at least at the beginning, some sort of rational plan involving multiple players who all understand and cooperate to keep it secret and are on the same page. This is the problem with most conspiracy theories. So I agree with you. All this is beyond these people over more than a short run.

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Until they drop the COVID arrival tests and insurance requirements (especially the arrival test) tourist numbers will remain very low compared to pre-COVID.   Would have been better to keep the pre-departure test in lieu of keeping the upon arrival and 5th day tests.   I think most people would trust their home country test results over Thailand test results.

Tourists just don't want to take the chance of leaving the home country with a clean bill of COVID health but once arriving Thailand they are told they have COVID and must quarantine at selected hotels or hospitals which results in a large bill. 

"Would have been better to keep the pre-departure test in lieu of keeping the upon arrival and 5th day tests. "

Especially as airlines may not change their own pre-COVID PCR test rules (prior to boarding flights for Thailand), regardless of what Thailand say. This is just ridiculous!

Edited by gejohesch
adding a line

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has agreed to cancel the requirement for pre-departure RT-PCR tests for international arrivals, effective from April 1st, and is to allow some celebrations to take place during the Songkran festival in mid-April

In 13 days, how many times will they change their minds? Bets are accepted!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

What did change, NOTHING.

Yes, you save some money by not doing a test before flying but even if your test was negative, arriving in Thailand and testing positive here and off you into quarantine.
They did not care if you were 10-20 hours before tested negative, what matters is if you test positive here.

Now their game is even easier. You can't argue that you tested negative from where you departed.

But! but! you can argue if you test before you fly.   I have arranged my pre flight test for 2 p.m. on the day I fly,result 3 hours later,and I fly 3 hours after test result.  In between these times I will be  isolated in the Business lounge. For my journey I am wearing a bio suit and my seat on the plane is on its own in Business.    And all accompanied by photo evidence throughout the journey.   Just before arrival, I will administer an ATK test and to the hotel I have arranged a private car from the hotel.

They want an argument, i will give them one!

Edited by Havenstreet1940
  • Haha 2

So free quarentine then

23 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

On what grounds, you would be willing to be admitted to hospital as you have insurance for that, or if you live here to self isolate at home, you will just be refusing to pay their extortionate demands. First thing would be to demand re test from another place

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

What did change, NOTHING.

Yes, you save some money by not doing a test before flying but even if your test was negative, arriving in Thailand and testing positive here and off you into quarantine.
They did not care if you were 10-20 hours before tested negative, what matters is if you test positive here.

Now their game is even easier. You can't argue that you tested negative from where you departed.

You nailed it. GGWP.

12 hours ago, grego49 said:

The test and go scam continues,Bali,Vietnam and the Phillipines are all open and enjoying the tourist dollars that used to be spent in Thailand,

It was only a few days ago that Vietnam ditched its very complex entry requirements. Malaysia retains some. Hopefully in this ever changing scenario all requirements will be stopped. With triple vaccines and a much more tolerable Omicron we’re in a far better place to move forward despite rapidly rising infections in Europe.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

But! but! you can argue if you test before you fly.   I have arranged my pre flight test for 2 p.m. on the day I fly,result 3 hours later,and I fly 3 hours after test result.  In between these times I will be  isolated in the Business lounge. For my journey I am wearing a bio suit and my seat on the plane is on its own in Business.    And all accompanied by photo evidence throughout the journey.   Just before arrival, I will administer an ATK test and to the hotel I have arranged a private car from the hotel.

They want an argument, i will give them one!

I agree that you can argue your point.

You can also argue that the sky is yellow after testing Thai positive.

Arguing won't help as you are forcibly led away by unifomed/ suited staff who claim " No understand Falang", - it will only prolong your self paid hospital stay.

But I am guessing yours is a troll post.

Sadly there are people who will believe your fairy-tale.????????????

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

So free quarentine then

On what grounds, you would be willing to be admitted to hospital as you have insurance for that, or if you live here to self isolate at home, you will just be refusing to pay their extortionate demands. First thing would be to demand re test from another place

I think that your "insurance" won't cover you unless it's medically necessary to be admitted to hospital, and would expect you to pay upfront and pay you back later, which would be never. It's their country, you're refusing to pay, they don't need any other grounds to lock you up for as long as they like.

I think your being naive to think that they wouldn't... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

So free quarentine then

Unless you have permanent residency you do not live here. You temporarily reside here under the terms issued by immigration and stamped in your passport.

Oh yeah......good luck with refusing and demanding things. Not gunna work.

Keep us updated when all this occurs.

53 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

While people arguing here on useless conspiracy theory about insurance not paying for quarantine, I got some answers from a facegroup group where a few people confirmed that the insurance did pay for their quarantine.  People will buy useless insurance without checking what it covers or not and then come here to argue that I was tested 24 hours ago negative why it is positive now. It does not work  this way in the real world. You buy an insurance that Thai government recommends for Thai pass and they will pay if government mandates expensive hospital quarantine. There is no conspiracy involves and insurance companies will be on guard to protect their financial interest.  The risk of being tested positive remains the same if there is a pre flight RT-PCR test or not. All RT-PCR test are a roadblock but at least one less is better than one more and in the right direction. Kudos for removing the pre-flight RT-PCR test. Keep it up Thailand don't listen to what desperate people who can't find their brides in their home land and have to take refuge in a foreign land to live off of their "wife visa" and voice their frustration in this forum. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Onerak said:

The risk of testing positive is always there irrespective of there is pre-covid test or not. And if I am tested positive, I won't like to run around and spread in the population. 

No one is saying you will run around the chances at this point is slim and none? The question naive belief your insurance will gladly paid if you test positive and it is just s walk in the part? What is happening you will pay up front first and you deal with the insurance to get reimbursed. All I can say is good luck. 

• Like 2

I’m currently in Thailand under Test and Go. Had my pre-Departure PCR test,  endured the tedium and expense of the 1 night quarantine and PCR test. I’ve been handed a Lateral flow kit for my 5 night test, but apparently this is just for my info, there’s no requirement or instruction to record the result anywhere!