Rider on 650 cc bike and pillion passenger both dead after collision with drunk van driver

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Phasi Charoen police and rescue services were called to Phutthamonthon Sai 1 just after midnight this morning for a double fatality.

It happened outside the Chaba restaurant when a Hyundai van was leaving and entering the second lane of the three lane road.

The Honda CBR 650 skidded 100 meters down the road. 

Dead at the scene from a broken neck and facial injuries was 29 year old Jatupong. His pillion passenger was not carrying ID and Thai Rath didn't say if it was a man or a woman but was also dead.

Both were taken to Sirirat Hospital for autopsy.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The van driver had been with 7/8 family members enjoying themselves at a party at a khao tom restaurant before leaving.

Phasi Charoen police took the driver in and he was over the alcohol limit.

He was charged with DUI - other charges may follow. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-21

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 9

2 hours ago, biggles45 said:

Yes, you can't guard against stupidity. been hit twice on my bike, both times stationary turning right with indicators. Hit by Thais not paying attention. 

My brother-in-law too, and he ended up with two metal plates in his leg.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

That is huge problem in Thailand , almost EVERYBODY drive after drinking! And bigger problem is that nobody dont say anything or try to stop of doing that! From every party where i have been all leave whit car or bike drink or not and nobody dont even notice that one coz normal behavior! Police drive drunk in they free time, teatchers, school directors........ all and they act like its normal to do so!

Exactly that... 

I used to be able to say....   I don’t know any Thai’s who have not had an accident due to drunk driving, I don’t know any westerners who have. 

However, in the past few years I’ve known a couple of westerners who have had motorcycle accidents while drunk (both were lucky to survive). 

The reality is drink driving while heavily intoxicated is normalised here, society does not view it as a criminal activity, there is no social distain towards drunk drivers.... as such we’re the odd one out when we do not drink drive.

--------

I drove to a restaurant last week... stopped at the drop off... Wife, Son, in Laws got out. 

After the meal we ordered the car....  I got in the passenger seat - the restaurant owner asked ‘aren’t you driving?’ ....  “No, I’ve had 3 beers”...  was my response which genuinely surprised him. 

Now, I don’t mind too much if someone drinks after a beer etc... and I will, but I’ll not drive after more than 2 (small) bottles of beer... I won’t drive after 1 if I’m with my Wife because she doesn’t drink at all and is quite a decent driver. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

The bike slid 100 metres so it wasn't going fast.

I wouldn't give too much credence to the reporting of 100m... it could have been 25m, its unlikely the reporter or person they were quoting would know the difference. 

Its the same when onlookers suggest ’speeding’... they’ve no idea or frame of reference, a noisy bike ’seems’ faster etc.. 

Additionally, how far does a ‘dropped' bike have to slide before we know it was or wasn’t speeding ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

The bike slid 100 metres so it wasn't going fast.

Not after it smashed into the right rear side of the van.  CCTV video here shows the bike going pretty fast.  It was just a blur on the video.  Looks like the bike didn't go anywhere near 100 meters.  The van continued to drive a distance.

https://www.newsdirectory3.com/tragic-moment-big-bike-collapsed-body-knocked-down-killed-2-hit-the-van-revealing-the-effect-of-alcohol/

image.png.d8317f2c79ff0c74659f0622d5d20e58.png  image.png.7875bec59cd08305bf61871cf760c3b1.png

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, biggles45 said:

What relevance is the bikes engine size, the van driver was drunk? 

Where does it say it was the van driver's fault? 

Just because he was over the legal limit doesn't mean he caused the wreck.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2