Thaksin's daughter could become Thailand's next prime minister as Shinawatra's set for comeback

webfact

18 hours ago, pomchop said:

Believe it or not the priority job of the PM is not to " help expats."...the job is to help Thai people and Taksin did indeed help a LOT of poor Thai people.  The health care was a major boom for poor people along with loads of new roads paved and water systems in remote villages that had been ignored for decades.  Some may also recall that "border runs" were being abused by a wide variety of ex pats ...as were overstays...a lot of shady ex pats got caught and have likely moved on to Cambodia.  While ex pats may not like border and overstay crackdowns it is called enforcing the law.  

Taksins biggest "mistake and asset" was that he came across as helping poor people in Thailand rather than the ultra wealthy who could not care less.  The ultra wealthy did not like that one bit and helped to arrange a coup to replace him with a dictator that would do their bidding.  Worked out well for them as the rich got richer and still don't give a hoot about the millions of poor Thais who they see as their servants and nothing more.

If the current coup crop gave a hoot about law and order Mr Red Bull would have been in jail long ago rather than going on for decades about Taksin, who was after all, ELECTED by the Thai people.

You need to follow whats going on.  I was responding to someone that Said Thaksin did good things for expats.  

Never said said he should do anything for expats.

If you read my previous posts I already stated the good things he did. 

however, just like all politicians he was crooked too!

On 3/22/2022 at 11:17 PM, ericthai said:

really??  

Thaksin started the whole crack down at immigration. He started cracking down on boarder runs, Changed the overstay policy which was pretty much ignored by immigration until he came along. Made visa requirements harder and started changing where some visas could be issued.

Please tell me what he did to help expats. Please dont say Thai Elite 

The immigration changes under his watch didn't impact the qualified, professional and legally employed expats at all.

Those that needed to hop borders, couldn't afford a visa, claimed questionable qualifications or otherwise didn't qualify for work permits, maybe less so?

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wouldn't be touting the airport as an "achievement". Considering the examples of great airports like Changi to learn from, Swampy is rubbish. Badly designed, poorly constructed, AC that hardly works, poor conduits for transfers etc etc etc and that's without considering the runway problems. Also, no money for a railway to the airport for many years. Total shambles IMO.

BTW, I remember how doctors were complaining that they couldn't afford the 30 baht scheme.

IMO massive infrastructure projects are favoured in LOS because of massive payoffs.

Are you still resentful that it's the only international gateway out of Bangkok to somewhere else in the world where you probably can't afford to live?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He was corrupt from the start to the end. What do people expect from another Shinawatra? I am sure we can expect more of the same. No thank you, he divided the people for too long.

They'll be corrupt.  But so what?  He was strong and savvy enough to control access to the trough so there was enough money left over to grow the Thai economy and return some to the people.  That's why he and Yingluck got booted- they controlled access to the trough and distributed too much of "the elites' wealth" to the peasants.  Today, it's a free-for-all and there's so many snouts in the trough there's nothing left over to grow the economy.

Every successful Asian economy got put on that path by a corrupt strong man that made his family wealthy beyond reason.  Korea, Singapore, Taiwan...  (Japan's the exception- because of MacArthur) Strong, corrupt leaders who controlled how much was being stolen, to leave enough to grow their economy.  Eventually, they either moved aside or died, but the economies were thriving by then.

Are the Shinawatra's that family?  I don't know.  I just know that the current batch isn't even close.  Nor have any others from the past decades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

the implication being that other politicians in Thailand aren't?

That is your interpretation. I never said and never thought Thaksin was the only corrupt politicians.

IMHO what set him apart from the others was that he was doing the corruption so obvious in the open. Like: look, I can do that, I am above the law, and there is nothing you can do about it.

And then there was something done about it. Now he can cry in the desert and think about what he did wrong.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is your interpretation. I never said and never thought Thaksin was the only corrupt politicians.

IMHO what set him apart from the others was that he was doing the corruption so obvious in the open. Like: look, I can do that, I am above the law, and there is nothing you can do about it.

And then there was something done about it. Now he can cry in the desert and think about what he did wrong.

Can't argue with that,,,,, it's such a profoundly subjective and ill-informed comment

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Disregarding for a moment all your posts makes that statement "less than truthful" then why are you even participating in a political thread??

Political threads are no longer allowed on this forum. It's all just opinion anyway. None of us know all the facts other than what someone tells us, and do they really know?.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

and long may he cry in the desert, though it's a shame he got to keep the money.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thunglom said:

I think there is a tendency for foreigners to underestimate the massive support that Thaksin and his side of Thai politics have in the country as a whole.

The military, however are terrified of this and we know from experience they are not averse to opposing this through the barrel of a gun.

Strange then that the army isn't on every street. Guns were never in evidence when I lived in LOS.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Strange then that the army isn't on every street. Guns were never in evidence when I lived in LOS.

2014 I walked out the hotel, around the corner, confronted by armed services personnel and ordered back to the hotel under martial law. 

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:
2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

2014 I walked out the hotel, around the corner, confronted by armed services personnel and ordered back to the hotel under martial law. 

You see what he did there tbl?

It's called YMMV.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Probably the most facile comment so far.

I lived through 2 coups in Thailand 2006 and 2014.

They both involved soldiers guns, and artillery. They were military coups.

Why you thought was happening is anyone's guess. - Did you think it was a parade?

Edited by Thunglom

3 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Probably the most facile comment so far.

I lived through 2 coups in Thailand 2006 and 2014.

They both involved gas, and artillery. They were military coups.

Why you thought was happening is anyone's guess. - Did you think it was a parade?

Please define artillery.

Were the army firing Howitzers/Mortars?

Edited by Bert got kinky

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sooo, you rabid hatred for the guy stems from the fact that he (in your opinion) thought he was above the law? Tell me, what are your feelings towards the "former" junta leader currently in power who really is above the law and who presides over a cabinet who are obviously not completely free of unusual wealth (to put it mildly)?

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So Prayuth did no "wrong" by your definition.

When will people in this forum stop arguing Prayut is bad and this is why we need Thaksin or one of his family members back?

There is not just A and B. A and B can both be bad and people should vote for C, D, or anybody else, preferably honest and competent.

I know that it too much to think for some farmers out there. But "west" educated farangs should be able to understand this concept. 

• Like 1

People missing the real reason Thaksin was removed and that was for stopping the government owned banks from bailing out their rich mates and their failed businesses to the tune of billions as well as actually spending money on projects to help the poorest in the country. Sure it was populism and it won him votes, but it was better than nothing.

Once the money stopped, out came the Yellow Shirts, led by Sondhi and backed by his media empire, ironically itself bailed out to the tune of billions by Viroj at KTB, whom Thaksin correctly removed from his position.

Let's not let real facts get in the way.

Thaksin corrupt! Thaksin bad! Just parrot the mantra from the barstool. Dribble dribble. He shut our bars!

No sense of humility from those here that supported the coup, but not expected. What a mess we're in now.

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

But were any weapons fired, did they even have live ammunition?

Or just a display?

Thailand has endured 12 successful coups (plus seven attempted coups) since 1932. 

There is a self perpetuating cycle in which one coup leads to another. 

People have been killed and imprisoned both before during and after these coups.

The army kills far more Thai citizens than any foreigners .

After the coup the officers involved receive huge payments for there efforts.

those who helped have avoided prison sentences and carry on in daily life despite being found guilty.

Hundreds of people are either ed or in prison as a result of opposing these coups.

I think you need to read up on Thai history. Of course most of the books on it are banned and probably have words in them too long for many expats to understand.

• Like 1