Former PM Thaksin’s daughter rises in Pheu Thai Party

snoop1130

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

has the bloodline which contains the DNA of a person who is determined to build this country

Bloodline? Getting a bit above themselves there. That sentence could put a few noses out of joint in certain places we can't mention.

• Like 2

It is always refreshing with what kind of titles people are being called in this country. The democratically elected sitting government is full of former generals (Thailand has - I kid you not - thousands of 'em) and they are all still addressed as generals despite the fact, that they are out of uniform and into a civilian position - now - that is. 

Likewise Dr Thaksin has a colourful resume including "business person, entrepreneur (silk, mobile phone technology etc.), police officer (1973–1987), politician, visiting professor" - as per Wikipedia. 

His present "occupation" would have to read "fugitive", but in order not to wake up sleeping dogs again in Dr T's backyard (North- and Northeast Thailand where his electoral base is still very very much alive and strong), he is called "former prime minister".

Maybe I should get name cards listing "former altar boy" which I was in the distant past ......... 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, jippytum said:

Has this man not inflicted enough misery on his family members in his quest for power .

He divorced his wife as he chose to avoid justice and ran away to exile.His sister is also in exile and his son was prosecuted for tax evasion for the sale of Sin shares .He is running out of family members to coerce in his attempt to obtain a pardon.

Is it also true that he was the PM who introduced  the 90 day report, the very same system that western countries have for ex prisoners on parole?

20 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Is it also true that he was the PM who introduced  the 90 day report, the very same system that western countries have for ex prisoners on parole?

THAILAND IMMIGRATION ACT
B.E. 2522 (1979).
Given on the 24th Day of February B.E. 2522 (1979) (Unofficial translation)

Section 37. An alien who is permitted to stay in the Kingdom temporarily
shall do the following —

(5) Staying in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, an alien shall notify the
competent official at the Immigration Division, of his or her residence, in writing, without
delay, upon the completion of a ninety day period. This shall be repeated at every ninety
day interval. If there is an immigration office in the locality, the notification may be made to
the competent official of that immigration office.

The notification under this Section may be made by the alien in person or in
writing to the competent official as regulated by the Director-General. 

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Immigration_Act_B.E._2522.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

THAILAND IMMIGRATION ACT
B.E. 2522 (1979).
Given on the 24th Day of February B.E. 2522 (1979) (Unofficial translation)

Section 37. An alien who is permitted to stay in the Kingdom temporarily
shall do the following —

(5) Staying in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, an alien shall notify the
competent official at the Immigration Division, of his or her residence, in writing, without
delay, upon the completion of a ninety day period. This shall be repeated at every ninety
day interval. If there is an immigration office in the locality, the notification may be made to
the competent official of that immigration office.

The notification under this Section may be made by the alien in person or in
writing to the competent official as regulated by the Director-General. 

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Immigration_Act_B.E._2522.pdf

So it was in 1979. I'm glad about that, I was put off liking him when I read some time ago in this forum that he was responsible for that 90 day parole system. Was it a proper elected government that was in charge then, or some Junta?

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

So it was in 1979. I'm glad about that, I was put off liking him when I read some time ago in this forum that he was responsible for that 90 day parole system. Was it a proper elected government that was in charge then, or some Junta?

Kriangsak Chamanan ( 17 December 1917 – 23 December 2003) served as prime minister of Thailand from 1977 to 1980. After staging a successful coup, he was asked to become Prime Minister in 1977, he ruled till 1980.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriangsak_Chamanan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

Kriangsak Chamanan ( 17 December 1917 – 23 December 2003) served as prime minister of Thailand from 1977 to 1980. After staging a successful coup, he was asked to become Prime Minister in 1977, he ruled till 1980.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriangsak_Chamanan

Thanks, so it was a Junta that was responsible for the 90 day reporting. I should have known.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Thailand was a much better place when he was in charge

Ask that of the wives and children of the men who were suffocated in the back of a truck on the way to some 'prison' in the Northeast after only being arrested in the South because they protested.

• Confused 3

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You can find them all here   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prime_ministers_of_Thailand

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2022 at 9:49 PM, billd766 said:

For that you would have to refer to the sacred Army who were actually involved in it, rather than Thaksin who probably had no idea until after the event.

You may have realised by now that the military are a law unto themselves.

@billd766

No dude, it was well known by the insiders and 'no one' was ever held to account.
I hate the NYT, but good enough for this discussion. https://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/27/world/asia/78-arrested-in-thai-protests-suffocate-in-crowded-trucks.html

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

@billd766

No dude, it was well known by the insiders and 'no one' was ever held to account.
I hate the NYT, but good enough for this discussion. https://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/27/world/asia/78-arrested-in-thai-protests-suffocate-in-crowded-trucks.html

But who were the "insiders" and was Thaksin one of them? 

I cannot read the link as I have reached my limit of free articles from the NYT.

Probably the reason why no-one was held to account could be due to the "sacred" military was investigating itself.