Opinion: Thai democratic meritocracy remains elusive as Paetongtarn Shinawatra prepares for PM candidacy

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Head of Participation and Innovation – whatever that means

Well the Innovation part is obvious, it means that she will come up with some great new ideas, such as, umm, "lets elect another Shinawatra!".

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

On March 21, Pheu Thai made a significant political statement during the party’s general meeting themed under “Pheu Thai Family” in Udonthani.

Politics should be about politics, not family dynasties.

This might backfire, people are fed up to the back teeth of family monopolies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

...the same procedure as every year, james!

you remember that absolutely hilarious video "Dinner for One".  I still get belly laughs watching that video, and I've been watching it at least once a year for the past 60 years

Is it unusual for elections to be nothing more than personality contests -  In a world dominated by business, brand names?

Perhaps the interest in the Shinawatra clan lies in the fact that it may be the only viable alternative to those currently in power. Who else possesses the organization and name recognition equal to Thaskin and company? Plus as the article says, they have a track record over the years. 

An election that involves any member of the Shinawatra family may be the closest thing the Thai electorate has to a choice. They may be the only ones who can get to the level of running against Prayut without being disqualified in the process. I say this with all humility as I hail from a country locked in a two-party universe - the Democrats and Republicans. These two "gangs" are expert at blocking third parties. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

But they are adored by the masses, so I can't see it backfiring, the current incumbents are generally hated by the masses who just want happiness in their mundane lives, and they would rather have Thaksin or Yingluk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

But they are adored by the masses, so I can't see it backfiring, the current incumbents are generally hated by the masses who just want happiness in their mundane lives, and they would rather have Thaksin or Yingluk.

The masses as you refer to are/were in the NE of Thailand.. and are now as old as the politicians...

the younger generation want change, which means neither the present regime or turning the clock back to the Shins.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The masses as you refer to are/were in the NE of Thailand.. and are now as old as the politicians...

the younger generation want change, which means neither the present regime or turning the clock back to the Shins.

Future Forward appears to be the next best choice, I think it will be a close run thing between FF & the Shins, but whichever side earns the majority of the vote it will  e a breath of fresh air compared to the dinosaurs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Thailand deserves more than the binary choice of Shinawatra or Army

Army is not a choice. Not a binary choice either for the Shinawatra as they still have to win the election from close to 30 political parties. 

7 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

That sycophant party should have renamed itself from "Pheua ThaI" into "Pheua Shinawatra" long ago. For that's exactly what it is, merely a vehicle to promote and foster the political aspirations of the members of one single elitist family (plus their "self-exiled" patriarch). 

That the youngest Shinawatra sibling's official title within the party is an ambiguous, non-sensical and wishy-washy "Head of Participation and Innovation" already speaks volumes about what is going on. The party only considers fielding her as a potential PM candidate because she has "the right last name". There is nothing else. Qualifications, competence, experience.... all of these mean nothing. And if she should indeed make it and become head of government, she is going to be used as precisely the same Thaksin puppet, mouthpiece and proxy as her aunt (Yingluck) and uncle (Somchai) before her.

The leader of the party seems to be the person that gives the party the most money.

The last thing that this country needs is a SHin IN POWER.  It always ends up with the elites getting upset and having the military take over.

I know that they are popular with those up north and the older people but there needs to be a change in PT thinking.

Also remember even if PT gets the most seats in the house they still will not have a PM SHIN.  The military senate would not allow it.

The young people have to stand up and get involved with the election with a party that will win a lot of seats and be able to form a coalition.  I am not sure that any of the other major parties would  join with anything  involving Thaksin.  There fore the senate will hold control.  4 more years of PRAYUT anyone

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 10:23 AM, Misterwhisper said:

That sycophant party should have renamed itself from "Pheua ThaI" into "Pheua Shinawatra" long ago. For that's exactly what it is, merely a vehicle to promote and foster the political aspirations of the members of one single elitist family (plus their "self-exiled" patriarch). 

That the youngest Shinawatra sibling's official title within the party is an ambiguous, non-sensical and wishy-washy "Head of Participation and Innovation" already speaks volumes about what is going on. The party only considers fielding her as a potential PM candidate because she has "the right last name". There is nothing else. Qualifications, competence, experience.... all of these mean nothing. And if she should indeed make it and become head of government, she is going to be used as precisely the same Thaksin puppet, mouthpiece and proxy as her aunt (Yingluck) and uncle (Somchai) before her.

Maybe so, but it will be a lot better than a military educated soldier posing as the present PM and a DPM with an engineering degree posing as a health minister, along with a bunch of generals with probably the average low IQ of the ordinary Thai people.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, hotchilli said:

But more fed up with an unelected PM and his tinpot soldiers I would think.

Imagine a country where politicians stand by a clear set of principles, espoused to the electorate and seek public office through democratic means to simply serve the citizens of their country...........what am I on, get a grip??

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

The leader of the party seems to be the person that gives the party the most money.

The last thing that this country needs is a SHin IN POWER.  It always ends up with the elites getting upset and having the military take over.

I know that they are popular with those up north and the older people but there needs to be a change in PT thinking.

Also remember even if PT gets the most seats in the house they still will not have a PM SHIN.  The military senate would not allow it.

The young people have to stand up and get involved with the election with a party that will win a lot of seats and be able to form a coalition.  I am not sure that any of the other major parties would  join with anything  involving Thaksin.  There fore the senate will hold control.  4 more years of PRAYUT anyone

You are right about the appointed Senate (plus a few other mechanism integrated in the Consitution). That's quite possible they would reject the PTP, but the green/yellow network would even less accept Move Forward.

So whoever wins (unless elections can be rigged enough to allow a win by an alliance of pro-military parties), it will lead to a deep political crisis.

27 minutes ago, candide said:

You are right about the appointed Senate (plus a few other mechanism integrated in the Consitution). That's quite possible they would reject the PTP, but the green/yellow network would even less accept Move Forward.

So whoever wins (unless elections can be rigged enough to allow a win by an alliance of pro-military parties), it will lead to a deep political crisis.

250 senators military appointed is a disregard for basic democratic principle. Enormous powers in voting and veto is a mockery of their role of check and balance. Annual budget of 1 B Baht per year is money wasted and not in line with modern times. Thailand should have a unicameral system to put the country on path to a full democracy.