Another Insurance Question.

IMO, insurance for entering Thailand will always be there even when this pandemic is officially made endemic, <political comment removed>. But as it stands now, for someone returning to their family in Thailand on a re entry permit, what is the insurance situation then?

Edited by ubonjoe
A comment bringing politics into the discussion has been removed (not allowed on this forum)

thai travelling to europe do need insurance when applying for visa. Always was, before covid. For the full stay abroad.

For entering thailand you need only insurance for 30 days. From 650b.

If you are planning to travel often, it would be cheaper to get a yearly one for 4200b. Allows unlimited entry. Covers covid hospitalisation for all stay in the country.

In the present climate probably wise to have some basic health insurance, pandemic or endemic.

Edited by internationalism

3 minutes ago, internationalism said:

thai travelling to europe do need insurance when applying for visa. Always was, before covid. For the full stay abroad.

For entering thailand you need only insurance for 30 days. From 650b

"thai travelling to europe do need insurance when applying for visa." This part of your answer is really confusing.

So you are saying that if I return to Thailand I only need insurance for 30 days? Like I said I would be entering Thailand with a re entry permit. I am at present on retirement extensions.

22 minutes ago, internationalism said:

If you are planning to travel often, it would be cheaper to get a yearly one for 4200b. Allows unlimited entry. Covers covid hospitalisation for all stay in the country.

Company names, policies please.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"thai travelling to europe do need insurance when applying for visa." This part of your answer is really confusing.

That is necessary to get a UK Visa or a Schengen Visa for a Thai.I forget what the coverage must be.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Company names, policies please.

fwd.

that 4200b/year is a basic one, for $20k / 700k baht. Good enough for thailand pass. Link to this policy is itself on thailand pass website. That's accident policy, for covid hospitalisation only, not health policy for all medical conditions.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

I don't recollect ever getting health insurance for SWMBO to travel to the UK.....??

I have had to get health insurance for my partner every time (4) we have been to UK or Europe.

Ah, now I get it, she who must be obeyed. <deleted> to that.   LOL

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

In the present climate probably wise to have some basic health insurance, pandemic or endemic.

Not sure only 30 days is required, last i read if using a reentry permit it's how long is left on your extension, could be 11+ months

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not sure only 30 days is required, last i read if using a reentry permit it's how long is left on your extension, could be 11+ months

I read that too, but that was a long time ago, and things are changing all the time, if it is going to cost me thousands in insurance just to get back in the country, I will just stay here for now.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

I read that too, but that was a long time ago, ....

It had a poor wording and included something along the lines ........"insurance for duration of stay".

With your reentry permit you can obtain 30 day cover. 

Anyway your not traveling now.

UK will be there next year. 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It had a poor wording and included something along the lines ........"insurance for duration of stay".

With your reentry permit you can obtain 30 day cover. 

Anyway your not traveling now.

UK will be there next year. 

I was thinking about traveling around the end of April or May and staying in the UK for about 3 months, my retirement exts finish in Feb next year, and I will get a re entry permit. I would just be interested to know if I can get back into Thailand with 30 days insurance the way it stands now.

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I was thinking about traveling around the end of April or May and staying in the UK for about 3 months, my retirement exts finish in Feb next year, and I will get a re entry permit. I would just be interested to know if I can get back into Thailand with 30 days insurance the way it stands now.

Yes you can. 

Your timing is good since by the time you return certainly TP will not be required along with testing and one night hotel.

TP should be put out of its misery..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

no issue with getting insurance over a certain age?

I basically know very little about insurance.

Replying so one of the experts can post first hand.

I am aware of very elderly folk entering thailand with insurance, so it's possible.

Someone will post a recommendation. 

16 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Can’t see an issue, or just do 90 days (time to next report). The likes of FWD is cheap anyway and can be had fast if you got stuck. Likely that the silliness will be forgotten soon anyhow and the skies reopened. ????  

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Seeing (as was forcibly pointed out to me on another thread a couple of days ago) that you aren't required to upload a scan of your re-entry permit as part of your TP application, I hardly see how those responsible for approving (or otherwise) the application can have any inkling as to when your current permission to stay expires - unless, of course, they are in possession of ESP (extra-sensory perception) powers! On this basis, insurance cover should only be required for 30 days max in all cases, I would have thought.

Edited by OJAS

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I basically know very little about insurance.

Replying so one of the experts can post first hand.

I am aware of very elderly folk entering thailand with insurance, so it's possible.

Someone will post a recommendation. 

@Sheryl might be best placed to advise on this point?

In any event the OP has stated that it won't be an issue in his case. 

On 3/23/2022 at 10:41 AM, scubascuba3 said:

On the second page of the thai pass they ask for the returning reason one with extension of stay answers returning to Thailand .Then the insurance question is not request Ing legt of stay thus 30 days BeIng enough.

Wbr

Roobaa01

• Like 1

22 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

On the second page of the thai pass they ask for the returning reason one with extension of stay answers returning to Thailand .Then the insurance question is not request Ing legt of stay thus 30 days BeIng enough.

Wbr

Roobaa01

In common with @scubascuba3, though, I do recall hearing at one time that, in the case of long-stay non-immigrants, insurance cover was mandatory between the date of their return to Thailand and the expiry date of their current permission to stay as confirmed by a re-entry permit. I do, however, wonder whether this was in the context of Thailand Pass's predecessor, the Certificate Of Entry?

• Like 1