Copy of Thai wife id card Front only or front and back?

When I was married to my now Thai Ex-wife, the Amphur and the IO wanted to see a copy of both the front and back with her signature on the bottom in Blue ink with the days date on it.  Most times they wanted her there as well, but the last time at the MOF they accepted a notarized copy I had had made with the translation attached.  They then certified and stamped that copy as an original which I used a few times before it was taken by the IO for additional paperwork.

Edited by ThailandRyan

26 minutes ago, Justanotherone said:

My ex claims back side has sensitive info that never should be shared ??

Not sensitive info in itself, but some government online services (they used this for example for vaccine registrations) use the number on the back to verify that the user is actually the owner of the ID.

If people hand out copies of the back of their ID card then another person could impersonate them and might be able to access sensitive data.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A front and back copy of the Thai ID card is need for about anything they do. Immigration included.

No longer the case for the back, some may ask but they do not have the right.

Not required at my last extension but has been in the past.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sandyf said:

No longer the case for the back, some may ask but they do not have the right.

Not required at my last extension but has been in the past.

At what immigration office was this?

I have scanned copies of all family documents on computer.

I always scan front and back of family ID cards and print on one page. The last time I went to scan the wife's new ID card she said the back not necessary anymore  :blink:

Have only used this "front only" copy for simple things like school registration, so don't know how it would work for something more important.

But as already mentioned best do both sides, can always ignore the back if it's not needed. 

never did back tbh. they always accept. For everything... visa and other things. same thing is for merriage certificate. never did the back., never asked. 

but best to play safe and do it ???? nothing to lose

but hey, you are going to the immigration, you never know they might ask you what you are wearing at toilet. lol

so be ready. go full ammunition if you dont want to go the next day again

Edited by problemfarang
  • Like 1

When you make copies just make sure to cross it with 2 lines, over the complete copy, and write down the reason it is used for inside the copy. Also add the date the copy is used.

A lot are doing it this way to avoid the copy to be used for different reasons than stated.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Resident Alien said:

When you make copies just make sure to cross it with 2 lines, over the complete copy, and write down the reason it is used for inside the copy. Also add the date the copy is used.

A lot are doing it this way to avoid the copy to be used for different reasons than stated.

Thats exactly what I just did for my passport and other information when I used an agent to secure my houskeepers new extension of stay, and update her blue work permit book.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Says who?

For reasons I am not going to go into my wife could not change her name when we married in 2008. When she retired in 2014 she had only just renewed her passport so waited until 2019 for the next convenient opportunity.

Obviously with the name change came a new ID card and when she received she was told it was a new type of card and because of information embedded on the back there was no longer an obligation to provide a copy.

To answer your question, it was the Amphur and any query should be referred to them.

If someone has had the same card for some years and immigration asked for a copy, there would be no valid reason not to, but the OP questioned the fact in respect of new cards.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Daffy D said:

I always scan front and back of family ID cards and print on one page.

One page! Yes and believe it or not, I once saw a manual for an inkjet device sold in Thailand showing a "copy ID card" function :biggrin:

I haven't seen it, but at least it won't print after the first scan.

It's not rocket science to do it manually.

Edited by KhunBENQ

BUT:

just found a website in Thai from 2019 that explicitly warns NOT to copy the backside.

Sounds like it is a "thing of the past".

The data on the back together with the citizen ID assures that the ID card is genuine (actually issued by a government office).

As you might know it's childs play to generate an ID that follows the simple rules with checksum.

Can easily be generated.

My conclusion:

have one copy (1) of the front page only and one (2) with both sides on one page.

Hand over 1) and wait :biggrin:

If not needed destroy 2).

Of course both copies signed by Thai person.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

BUT:

just found a website in Thai from 2019 that explicitly warns NOT to copy the backside.

Sounds like it is a "thing of the past".

The data on the back together with the citizen ID assures that the ID card is genuine (actually issued by a government office).

As you might know it's childs play to generate an ID that follows the simple rules with checksum.

Can easily be generated.

My conclusion:

have one copy (1) of the front page only and one (2) with both sides on one page.

Hand over 1) and wait :biggrin:

If not needed destroy 2).

Of course both copies signed by Thai person.

Like all of the forms and copies they want from us foreigners every year to extend our stay when it is already, or should already be in the system.  I have been handed, and so have others items printed on the backside of another individuals information as they re-use the papers.  It is an Identity thief's paradise should they want to in this country and then use elsewhere.  Truly a crapshoot with information safety in this country.  In the US your accounts are secured and only the last 3 digits are shown as well as anything to with your social security card or medical ID's, but not Thailand.  I did my Housekeepers paperwork as I stated and just now received a full sheet back indicating they had bought her the required insurance, on that paper were 9 other migrant workers passport numbers and Work permit numbers, as well as their names....what a cluster....

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Like all of the forms and copies they want from us foreigners every year to extend our stay when it is already, or should already be in the system.

Wife and brothers had three appointments at court, with a lawyer, the land office (twice) to settle their parents inheritance and get new land titles (one sister is virtually "lost/undiscoverable").

Each time she carries a full folder of original documents.

I am in horror thinking that one might get lost or forgotten.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Wife and brothers had three appointments at court, with a lawyer, the land office (twice) to settle their parents heritage and get new land titles (one sister is virtually lost/undiscoverable).

Each time she carries a full folder of original documents.

I am in horror thinking that one might get lost or forgotten.

Reality is that is very spot on.  My Ex, took her three fricking years to finally get all of the correct paperwork signed and certified in the US to show up here for us to become officially divorced and removed from the Thai system, we have been divorced for 4 in the US.  Upon meeting her at the Provincial Amphur she had to show all the US forms, the translations, the certifications by the MFA plus all of the original paperwork including the one showing her name change so they could change her name back as per law.  She could not find the Name change form, and after a trip back to her parents house she still could not locate it.  She then had to make a trip back to the home Amphur where we were married and obtain a new name change certificate, just so the provincial Amphur could issue her a new one changing her name back to her maiden name after they certified the divorce and gave us the new copies showing we were divorced.  Next she drove back to the Home Amphur where she and her new husband, who she married right after our divorce in the US could get the marriage certified in Thailand....

You can not make this stuff upI am afraid.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

One page! Yes and believe it or not, I once saw a manual for an inkjet device sold in Thailand showing a "copy ID card" function :biggrin:

I haven't seen it, but at least it won't print after the first scan.

It's not rocket science to do it manually.

Not sure what you are trying to say here :blink:

Anyways for anyone interested, I first scan the front of the card and then scan the back of the card.

This gives me two files that I load into Free Photofiltre and copy one file onto the other which gives me an A4 page with both front and back on one page. 

Just for information, I always save in "Photo" mode as it allows modify the images if  necessary, light/dark/contrast and the like.

Edited by Daffy D

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

For reasons I am not going to go into my wife could not change her name when we married in 2008. When she retired in 2014 she had only just renewed her passport so waited until 2019 for the next convenient opportunity.

Obviously with the name change came a new ID card and when she received she was told it was a new type of card and because of information embedded on the back there was no longer an obligation to provide a copy.

To answer your question, it was the Amphur and any query should be referred to them.

If someone has had the same card for some years and immigration asked for a copy, there would be no valid reason not to, but the OP questioned the fact in respect of new cards.

It was just a reminder that no single person's experience with any aspect of Thai bureacrcy on any given day at any given location is ever empirical. Otherwise known as....

YMMV

TiT

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

Not sure what you are trying to say here :blink:

Confirming what you wrote.

No need to have two sheets (as others seem to do).

I learned it from the family.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

From my experience always front and back copy are needed on one page. Signed as usual of course.

As already recommended in a post above I prepare everything on a PC as well. This is easy and does allow changes to print parameters to have perfect colors etc.