Opinion: American and western arrogance will lose this region to China’s influence

webfact

3 hours ago, Excel said:

Nothing to do with neglect by the West, but everything to do with Thailand's regime leaders and benefactors lining their own pockets without ethical or moral considerations.

Was there ever a time when business was do any other way in Asian countries. I think not. If the west  want to compete they have to play the same game and fill the brown paper envelopes to seal the deals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mokwit said:

I think what the Thais don't understand is that SE Asia is no longer strategically important in the way it was in The Vietnam war era. The Thais IMO are using that outdated interest as their reference point and not understanding why it won't continue.

What you do not understand is what the Thais understand.

What the Thais understand is that in the 30's about 12% of the people in Thailand were Chinese nationals and a significant percentage of today's population are of Chinese descent.  Nothing whatsoever to do with the west or their arrogance, it is a cultural affiliation, something difficult for foreigners to understand.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Not sure I want Thailand as a 'Friend' anyway. The only reason would be if you (USA) wanted to put boots on the ground in Asia, again. Better to blow the whole place up than get bogged down in another land war in Asia. Or just get the heck out, its all Chinese DNA anyway; belongs to them. Never gonna win or be buddies with SEA; better to use time money effort where you have a chance of a return.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

That's not the way I remember it. 

You can remember it any way you want, doesn't make it right.

The first vaccines into Thailand were AZ from South Korea in Feb 2021, followed by the Chinese.

The Thai government didn't get their order for AZ because of a dispute between the UK and EU, the order was diverted to India but got caught up in an export ban. In the end they had to wait for the Thai production facility to start up in June 2021.

COVAX wouldn't have made any difference, GDP was too high to be at the front of the queue and at that point in time the only vaccine COVAX had available was the Chinese.