Traditional Investors Have Lost the Plot

10 hours ago, patman30 said:

many people trade with leverage

Yes, it maddens me that the market is largely a fight between leverage traders and the market makers. The market maker always wins in the end. Makes the market very complicated and sometimes very scary for retail traders and hodlers.

20 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Not really. Its a hedge against inflation digital gold.

currency is but one use but not vital.

wine, baseball cards, gold, crypto

you can make money 

I would add "used knickers".
There is a market for this too. I was told.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Satoshi's vision is a direct threat to the establishment because it has the potential to give the people control over their money instead of the fat cats (rats?). Munger is a fat old cat so I very much suspect that's the reason he refers to Bitcoin as 'rat poison'.

This guy is an idiot.
At 45000 I am a big buyer.
Oh, at 40000 I am all in.
Yes, at 35000, big buyers and something big will happen. All in.
How many times he is "all in"?

And it could go down to 25k or up to 100k

He loves his own voice and pulls always old charts up.
He doesn't know what's going to happen and nobody does.
Crypto gained, since Russia invaded Ukraine and not because Satoshi was smart.

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

A single share in Berkshire Hathaway is worth more than half a million dollars, and the collateral is bricks and mortar companies, not a stream of electrons that can be blown away by hackers or an EMP.

That suggests to me Buffet and Munger have a longer track record of success than the gamblers at the crypto roulette wheel.

If you invested $1 in bitcoin in 2010 you would have now $680.111,- That is a 68 mln % rise. If you invested in that same year in Birkshare you had now a profit of 242%. And Bitcoin can not be blown away due to its decentralized structure. If Warren gets mental........??????

Edited by peter zwart
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

If you invested $1 in bitcoin in 2010 you would have now $680.111,- That is a 68 mln % rise. If you invested in that same year in Birkshare you had now a profit of 242%. And Bitcoin can not be blown away due to its decentralized structure. If Warren gets mental........??????

As the saying goes, if my auntie had balls, she would be my uncle.

If I had bet $1 on Twilight Payment in the 2020 Melbourne Cup, I would have got a $52 return. Explain the difference to me.

Warren Buffett has built a fortune with patience. Certainly, he has made mistakes, but once a business reaches a certain critical mass, it becomes bullet-proof.

Tell me, how much money do you claim to have made gambling on bitcoin? Because IMO that's all it is, unless you got in on the ground floor. And if you did, what are you doing here, don't you have better things to do?

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As the saying goes, if my auntie had balls, she would be my uncle.

If I had bet $1 on Twilight Payment in the 2020 Melbourne Cup, I would have got a $52 return. Explain the difference to me.

Warren Buffett has built a fortune with patience. Certainly, he has made mistakes, but once a business reaches a certain critical mass, it becomes bullet-proof.

Tell me, how much money do you claim to have made gambling on bitcoin? Because IMO that's all it is, unless you got in on the ground floor. And if you did, what are you doing here, don't you have better things to do?

Buffet himself has now bought in to the crypto Market..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peter zwart said:

If If If

most probably sold already long time ago.

Yes, if it was Apple, Amazon, MSFT, Google, TSLA etc.

If...

24 minutes ago, Screaming said:

An interesting parallel is tulip bulbs. Those who just did  not understand the tulip bulb bubble were spared financial ruin.

Tulip-Bubble.jpg

Another one who buys the false narrative that crypto is a scam...grow some juevos and think for yourself 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2022 at 4:30 PM, Lacessit said:

the collateral is bricks and mortar companies, not a stream of electrons that can be blown away by hackers or an EMP

So what would you do in the event your bricks and mortar investment collapses, go and claim your brick? Shall we have a conversation about bricks and mortar banks being hacked, or the effects of an EMP on the traditional banking system?

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

13 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Shall we have a conversation about bricks and mortar banks being hacked, or the effects of an EMP on the traditional banking system?

My point is unless Russia invades the US, Berkshire Hathaway's 12% stake in the bricks and mortar of the Bank of America is looking quite solid.

Remember what Willie Sutton said when he was asked why he robbed banks? "Because that's where the money is".

Organisations spend small fortunes to ensure hackers can't penetrate their systems, some fail. I haven't heard too much about who is supposed to be protecting all the various forms of crypto, it looks more like the Wild West to me.

My point us I think it fascile to suggest 'traditional' investments are less of a gamble than crypto. So yes, put balls on your aunt, she's your uncle.

Full disclosure, I'm heavily invested in JASMY Token. I got in at 0.02 last month. I haven't been invested in anything since I purchased Arcadia and M&S shares in the late 90s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

My point us I think it fascile to suggest 'traditional' investments are less of a gamble than crypto. So yes, put balls on your aunt, she's your uncle.

Full disclosure, I'm heavily invested in JASMY Token. I got in at 0.02 last month. I haven't been invested in anything since I purchased Arcadia and M&S shares in the late 90s.

I'm heavily invested in gold and silver, plus peer-to-peer lending and cash. I invest in things I understand. Although precious metals are not really an investment, they are a currency hedge.

TBH, I wouldn't recognise a JASMY Token if it reared up and bit me on my bum. Good for you if you have nearly doubled your money.

The definition of an investment is it earns income. While there are capital gains to be made in crypto, there are also losses. I can't see one that returns income to its buyers. Not surprising as it is just another form of cash, albeit a fairly ephemeral one.

You should also bear in mind as one gets older, their risk tolerance is less. I'm certainly more risk averse than I was in my thirties.

On 3/28/2022 at 5:07 AM, Gottfrid said:

They are just angry at themselves because they did not understand it from start

Rarely have I seen investors act based on the motives you prescribe to them.

E.g. Buffet also missed Amazon, Google, Tesla, Netflix, Facebook, a.s.o. but he is not talking badly about these companies.

If you actually listen to the criticism raised about crypto, you would understand it has nothing to do with “missing the boat”, these people have enough money to do whatever they want, and Buffet’s goal in life is not aiming to be early investor in the next big thing.

Bank of Thailand just outlawed crypto because they fear it can pose systemic risk to the financial system, but I am sure you would read that as the establishment just trying to kill crypto because they cannot control it…

• Like 2

On 3/29/2022 at 8:02 AM, Whale said:

Yes, it maddens me that the market is largely a fight between leverage traders and the market makers. The market maker always wins in the end. Makes the market very complicated and sometimes very scary for retail traders and hodlers.

trading crypto is like playing blackjack where the dealer knows your hand

the house(exchange) plays too and they have all the data
exchanges also sell data to each other.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:05 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Buffet himself has now bought in to the crypto Market..

It is arguable though. He did not buy crypto. He bought shares in an online bank in a "developing" nation and that bank happens to allow users to invest in a crypto ETF.

I think some people, like Buffet and Munger, just get caught in their narrative and then they become enslaved to their prior views by their egos.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 4:33 PM, Sparktrader said:

Gambling is 100% luck no skill and you can lose 100% in a day.

I can see where you've gone wrong.  "Common sense" told you the above misinformation.  Perhaps the same source for your digital currency "knowledge".

35 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I can see where you've gone wrong.  "Common sense" told you the above misinformation.  Perhaps the same source for your digital currency "knowledge".

I agree with you. Trading and gambling are the same thing exactly ...... making financial bets based on statistics, past performance and knowledge to make a decision based on probability of outcome. I play with sports betting and its the same as crypto to me. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/29/2022 at 2:08 PM, Screaming said:

An interesting parallel is tulip bulbs. Those who just did  not understand the tulip bulb bubble were spared financial ruin.

Tulip-Bubble.jpg

You do realise this is a commodity chart? 

On 3/30/2022 at 7:20 PM, lkn said:

Bank of Thailand just outlawed crypto because they fear it can pose systemic risk to the financial system, but I am sure you would read that as the establishment just trying to kill crypto because they cannot control it…

No they didn't, stop spreading FUD.