Out with the old (Tesco) in with the new (Lotus's)

DowntownAl

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps because you used wife ID number - believe that ID request was for a financial point system of some kind and not required if you do not want to use it.  I had no issue using US based credit card (Thai address) and received immediate refund when order later canceled (freezer failed so did not want a lot of new frozen stuff).  

The site wouldn’t allow me to create an account without the Thai national ID number. There was no option to provide a passport number.

11 hours ago, fusion58 said:

The site wouldn’t allow me to create an account without the Thai national ID number. There was no option to provide a passport number.

I was able to do without but tried vaccine number one time which was rejected - but indeed it was not a straight road - believe had to reload without number and was in.  Believe the number is for "Shop Coins" or some such but not clear.

One possible positive is better stock control with selection of specific stores.  Did note item out of stock in one store but available in another.  Over the years my Tesco orders were normally only 60-70 percent filled - in past years they often sent alternatives you felt obligated to buy but for last year or so they just called to say half your order was not available.

At any rate it is a new learning experience - but having been doing that for 80 years it is starting to be more about forgetting than learning.  

Edited by lopburi3

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Over the years my Tesco orders were normally only 60-70 percent filled - in past years they often sent alternatives you felt obligated to buy

Why did you feel obliged to buy? When I was sent alternatives I only accepted them if they were reasonable. Otherwise I rejected them without any worry of obligation.

6 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Why did you feel obliged to buy? When I was sent alternatives I only accepted them if they were reasonable. Otherwise I rejected them without any worry of obligation.

Perhaps because somebody had cared enough to actually try and provide an acceptable alternative - in most cases it was a best alternative and accepted but if not often sent back.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps because somebody had cared enough to actually try and provide an acceptable alternative - in most cases it was a best alternative and accepted but if not often sent back.  

Lol they didn't "care enough". They are a commercial enterprise; they did it to extract as much money from the transaction as possible. 

There's nothing wrong with that, that's exactly what they should do. But to feel obliged to accept something you don't really want because you believe somebody has made some kind of caring gesture is misguided.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:51 AM, JayClay said:

Lol they didn't "care enough". They are a commercial enterprise; they did it to extract as much money from the transaction as possible. 

There's nothing wrong with that, that's exactly what they should do. But to feel obliged to accept something you don't really want because you believe somebody has made some kind of caring gesture is misguided.

Whenever I've gotten "substitute" products from my past online Tesco orders, it was usually because they had run out of stock for the sale items their system showed as being available. So then they'd typically substitute in a somewhat similar item at regular / higher prices. Funny how it always seemed to go like that.

On 3/28/2022 at 10:49 AM, DowntownAl said:

I managed to get one last order in the Tesco platform where I got 2 kilos of minced port at 149 baht kilo, Lotus's has the same thing, now coming in a styrofoam/plastic wrap package for 239 baht/kilo.

A quick look at their website is showing minced pork @ 130b/per kg or leaner minced @ 161 & 166/kg,  The 239 you posted was for the exact same cut?

https://www.lotuss.com/en/category/fresh-food/meats/77543-pork

Edited by bbko

On 3/28/2022 at 11:32 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I gotta hand it to them, their new benefactor Mr. CP has been unusually generous in giving the Mini Lotus's's's's in my Issan country bumpkin town a nice makeover. Now it's got a few more aisles, more fresh food, and even a little coffee and pastry shop inside.

they did in my area as well but their goods price increased to cover for the makeover  555

On 4/6/2022 at 7:06 PM, phetphet said:

Some bright spark at an ad firm probably thought, "Lets just copy the way foreigners call Tesco, Tesco's."

So Lotus became Lotus's.  Should it not be Lotus' ?

Should be but only if you did English at school. My wife says ' You need lotit today ? ' I mean lealy .

• Haha 2

On 3/28/2022 at 11:32 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I gotta hand it to them, their new benefactor Mr. CP has been unusually generous in giving the Mini Lotus's's's's in my Issan country bumpkin town a nice makeover. Now it's got a few more aisles, more fresh food, and even a little coffee and pastry shop inside.

Yes - I like the new Lotus's's's Fresh format.  It's like the best of a 7-11 plus the fresh foods of a supermarket.

Although I feel sorry for the people paying for a 7-11 franchise when CP opens a Fresh store next door.

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

Although I feel sorry for the people paying for a 7-11 franchise when CP opens a Fresh store next door.

There's a 7-11, BigC and a Lotus fresh just up the road to me.

Got to 7-11 and Big C all the time, never been in Fresh, the locals say 'too expensive' avoid.

Empty car park, no customers.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Yes - I like the new Lotus's's's Fresh format.  It's like the best of a 7-11 plus the fresh foods of a supermarket.

And a Mini Big C opens on the other side.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 11:19 AM, DowntownAl said:

I should have known better. I point out the use of a vax certificate number as a Thai National ID worked and all you guys want to talk about a whiny expats and other grocery stores. Waste of time here, total waste of time. 

I'm going to go do something worthwhile. 

I think the initial responses were because you buried your lede (the Vax ID number might work like the national ID number required for some things).  Lots of people probably didn't read far enough into your post to get to that idea.  They probably stopped reading sooner.  And after you responded with the above reply, people got it!

And thank you for the idea!

First order using new Lotus's website received few minutes ago.  Outside scheduled time period by only 10 minutes and 90% (by cost) delivered.  As often an hour to two late previously and almost never more than about 75% delivery believe it may indeed be an improvement.  There is a good order status page on website which provides up to the minute status (delivered 15 minutes after out for delivery SMS and website update).

Using order history may work to make re-order of items as it provides original invoice if you ask for more details and clicking on photo of item in that invoice seems to bring it up specific item and able to add to cart.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, asiacurious said:

I think the initial responses were because you buried your lede (the Vax ID number might work like the national ID number required for some things).  Lots of people probably didn't read far enough into your post to get to that idea.  They probably stopped reading sooner.  And after you responded with the above reply, people got it!

And thank you for the idea!

Provided you were vaccinated in Thailand.

Just ordered for the 1st time:

1) for registering i did it without ID card, i think you only need the ID card if you are signing up for the points card

2) One thing i did note was unlike Tesco when you pay by credit card they deduct the entire amount straight away. Tesco used to charge it at 1 THB and then when they saw availability of products they would call you to exchange. Not sure how easy it would be to get a refund or how quick if they did not have the products you wanted.

3) also good is that they seem to have a bigger limit on how much water they can deliver. tesco was max 9 6 packs, whereas now its 12.

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

2) One thing i did note was unlike Tesco when you pay by credit card they deduct the entire amount straight away. Tesco used to charge it at 1 THB and then when they saw availability of products they would call you to exchange. Not sure how easy it would be to get a refund or how quick if they did not have the products you wanted.

As cancelled first attempt can say full amount of CC deduction was immediately credited back to account and CC card account had no entry for debit or credit next day.

• Thanks 1

Received second order using new system - on time - all 23 items received - you can indeed use order history to call up old orders and select items from that to add to new basket.  Appears they also have limited availability for one hour delivery (expect less heavy/bulky items - so if you select one hour delivery the full selection may not be available) but if you change to next day they become available.

As one who started using Tesco when it was only a prototype system must say find getting what you ordered much better with new store selection system.