Will Smith punches Chris Rock at Oscars

Thailand

11 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

More and more I'm in the "fake slap" brigade. Play acting.

That's what it looks like to me (as I said above). Something, or everything, stinks about this whole show and event. I reckon there's an agenda at play. Not that I really give a toss about it. IF the wife was upset about the comments then SHE should have hit him properly.

10 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Slap no punch. Rock leans on. Smith smirks as he walks away. Fake.

Not so sure about that:

"Taking to his seat, Will was heard saying, "Keep my wife out of your f****** mouth."

Post punch, as he shouted the above comment:

Screenshot_2.jpg.35da19f4231f7462a56dc318a11d92e2.jpg

He looks pretty incensed.

https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/hollywood/story/the-will-smith-chris-rock-punch-drama-everything-about-joke-on-jada-pinkett-smith-at-oscars-2022-1930362-2022-03-28

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not so sure about that:

"Taking to his seat, Will was heard saying, "Keep my wife out of your f****** mouth."

Post punch, as he shouted the above comment:

Screenshot_2.jpg.35da19f4231f7462a56dc318a11d92e2.jpg

He looks pretty incensed.

https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/hollywood/story/the-will-smith-chris-rock-punch-drama-everything-about-joke-on-jada-pinkett-smith-at-oscars-2022-1930362-2022-03-28

He looks angry but he is an actor

No security is called

Rock jokes about it

Smith is clearly smirking as he walks off stage

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Acting

I would imagine, Smith is pretty protective toward his wife, and probably would not respond well to someone making fun of her medical condition.

Also:

"this is not the first time the latter took a dig at the former and his wife Jada Pinkett Smith. During the Academy Awards in 2016, Chris had taken a dig at Will and Jada. Prior to the awards show, Jada had said that she would not attend the ceremony due to the lack of diversity among nominees. In a monologue, Chris joked about the Matrix Reloaded actress and said, “Jada got mad, said she’s not coming. Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited.”

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I would imagine, Smith is pretty protective toward his wife, and probably would not respond well to someone making fun of her medical condition.

Also:

"this is not the first time the latter took a dig at the former and his wife Jada Pinkett Smith. During the Academy Awards in 2016, Chris had taken a dig at Will and Jada. Prior to the awards show, Jada had said that she would not attend the ceremony due to the lack of diversity among nominees. In a monologue, Chris joked about the Matrix Reloaded actress and said, “Jada got mad, said she’s not coming. Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited.”

So what. Looks a stunt to me. Fake as.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

So what. Looks a stunt to me. Fake as.

Just because you keep repeating the same pretty much unsubstantiated presumption over and over again.... doesn't make it any more true.

"According to CNN reporter Stephanie Elam, who is in the audience, she could hear Rock getting hit."

AND

Later in the ceremony, Smith told the audience:

"I know to do what we do, you gotta be able to take abuse and have people talk people about you. In this business, you gotta have people disrespecting you. And you gotta smile and pretend that's ok."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/27/entertainment/will-smith-chris-rock/index.html

Doesn't sound like he's joking, once again.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just because you keep repeating the same pretty much unsubstantiated presumption over and over again.... doesn't make it any more true.

"According to CNN reporter Stephanie Elam, who is in the audience, she could hear Rock getting hit."

AND

Later in the ceremony, Smith told the audience:

"I know to do what we do, you gotta be able to take abuse and have people talk people about you. In this business, you gotta have people disrespecting you. And you gotta smile and pretend that's ok."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/27/entertainment/will-smith-chris-rock/index.html

Doesn't sound like he's joking, once again.

Well yes, he is going to keep up the acting and the pretense through out the evening , emotional speech and tears to finish it off for the night 

• Haha 1

No joke:

Shell-shocked Governors Ball crowd is abuzz over Will Smith Oscars incident

"things took a turn when partway through the evening, Will Smith slapped Chris Rock after the comedian made a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith, who has alopecia, and her bald head.

Smith later went on to win best actor for his role as Venus and Serena Williams' father Richard in the best picture-nominated film "King Richard." Smith in his speech addressed being a "protector" and "defender," and he apologized to the Academy, which released a statement denouncing "violence of any form."

After Smith skipped the press room at the show – where winners usually swing by to discuss their awards – neither he nor Pinkett Smith attended the Governors Ball, instead opting to attend the Vanity Fair Oscar party, flanked by children the couple's children Willow, Jaden and his son Trey."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/shell-shocked-governors-ball-crowd-is-abuzz-over-will-smith-oscars-incident/ar-AAVA5dN

and

AND

AND

The slap heard around the world: Will Smith really did hit Chris Rock at the Oscars

"According to a tweet from Variety Executive Editor Ramin Setoodeh, what unfolded between Rock and Smith was not planned and did not happen in rehearsals the day prior. Setoodeh also reported that Smith’s publicist spoke with him during commercial breaks — as did Oscars producer Will Packer."

Through tears, Smith apologized to the academy and his fellow nominees — but not to Rock — while accepting his award.

“I want to be a vessel for love,” said Smith, who received a standing ovation upon winning the Oscar. “I want to be an ambassador of that kind of love and care and concern. I want to apologize to the academy."

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2022-03-27/oscars-2022-will-smith-chris-rock-punch-slap

8 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Plus much more.  He should loose a lot.  Very offensive behavior should not go unpunished.

From the LA Times report above:

"An LAPD spokesman said Sunday night that the department is not investigating the incident and that Rock would have to file a battery complaint to open an investigation."

6 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Wow, he was not kidding.  If Chris Smith was actually slapped or punched if could be an Assault and Battery under California Penal Code Sections 240 and 242.  In the end he won Best Actor.  

and what would this conviction be if it went to trial? Would he have to do time or money compensation?

thanks

6 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

and what would this conviction be if it went to trial? Would he have to do time or money compensation?

thanks

Battery in Calif. can be either a felony or misdemeanor depending on the severity and circumstances. In this instance, it almost certainly would be a misdemeanor if anything:

"Misdemeanor battery, also known as traditional “simple” battery, may be punished by a fine not exceeding $2,000 dollars, and/or by imprisonment in jail for a maximum of six months. It is important to understand that the crime of battery may be charged even if the victim was not injured."

https://www.comingslaw.com/misdemeanor-battery.html

PS - The Academy would not have been issuing a statement saying they don't condone violence in any form, if the whole thing was some kind of play acting.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

"Chris Rock declined to file a police report on Sunday after Will Smith slapped him on stage at the Academy Awards, Los Angeles police appeared to confirm.  "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2022/03/28/oscars-chris-rock-will-smith-police/7189129001/

"The Los Angeles Police Department in a statement said it was “aware of an incident between two individuals during the Academy Awards program.".  

“The incident involved one individual slapping another,” the LAPD said. “The individual involved has declined to file a police report. If the involved party desires a police report at a later date, LAPD will be available to complete an investigative report.” 

• Thanks 1

I’m fully with the outrage on this.

Pantomime and slapstick should should have their own categories in the Oscars. And Improvisation.  

I can see an opportunity for improvement here… “and this year’s Improvisation award will be in the category of …. Musical / Slapstick / Pantomime / Action Movie / Romance / Science Fiction / Nature Documentary…”

Remember - you heard it here first.

Reminds me of something that was said to me a few decades ago. Out with some workmates at a conference one asked me how many kids we had. I replied that unfortunately we couldn’t have any. He replied that I was probably not doing it properly. I tipped my beer over his head. 

• Sad 1

It's hilarious watching the mainstream media trying to navigate their way through this. Wealthy black man assaults another wealthy black man due to his tasteless joke about wealthy black woman. Hmmmm. That's tough. 50/50?

Charges won't be brought. Smith is fabulously rich and famous. He is handsome and black. A celebrity in tinseltown. There would probably be riots if the LAPD tried to arrest him. He can slap who he wants when he wants. The very definition of privilege.

Having said that, given the state of his wife and kids, I can sympathise. I'd have anger issues too if my wife shagged my son's best mate and then announced it on national TV.

He reminds me of Harry. Ruined and humiliated by a poor choice of woman.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

He reminds me of Harry

as in Prince right................what an embarrassment, surely he could have masterminded another angle to swerve regal duty...................................

I really do not understand how personal some manage to make this face slapping?

Chris Rock have so far choosed not to file a report, I can understand the why he got slapped, but would not had been my choice of weapon! Better ways to get even, and make a statement than a public face slapp. Well deserved or not!