Best method to send debit card from US to Thailand

Using a trusted friends address I opened a CapitalOne360 account primarily to get their MasterCard based debit card to get the most ฿ per dollar exchanged.  They have no fees and their rate has been better than Wise every day over the last month.

The card has arrived at my friends house.... now I need to get it to Thailand.  I also have some other documents to send at the same time but should be under 1 lb total.

US Postal Service has Priority Mail International large envelopes up to 4lbs for $41.70.  That seems to be the recommended choice.

Anyone used that service lately?

A few months ago the IRS sent me a regular 1st class letter that took 3 months to get here.  I'm hoping things have improved.

9 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I used DHL.  But don't use UPS, they are hopeless here in LOS 

I agree about UPS but would like to be sure you didn't mean USPS as it's easy to make a typo.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

Guest truthman

My mother tried to use the registered mail service with a brokerage debit card. They told her at the post office the service didn't exist and she ended up sending it regular mail. The first card was evidenlty stolen by the clerk who thought it was a gift card but the replacement arrived all right as did a couple of other debit cards I had sent in the mail. When my bank sent my debit card they used DHL. I don't believe you can track USPS registered mail as you can EMS in Thailand. It will only tell you if it's arrived or not.

From the U. S.  My experience. 

USPS,  do not have their own planes they have contract with many Airlines particularly Passengers due to Covid as we know many aren't operating. 

I myself have my debit cards shipped over here last time October 2021,  with a few other mail under 1lb,  marked as documentation they are a bit expensive $80.00 FedEx told a week but arrived 3days with tracking 

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

I'd use HDL if your friend has one nearby. DO NOT declare a DEBIT card is in the package. DO place a temporary hold on the debit card until it arrives.  I'd pack the card in a CD or DVD case.

Took from Monday to Friday for small package from Chicago to Isaan.

Edited by IAMHERE
  • Like 1

I just had my new Global Entry card, and Fidelity ATM Debit card sent from a family member to my thai post post office box via USPS airmail, $1.20, took ~ 23 days.

I've used this method for quite a few years, never had an item lost.

I've also had two items from the IRS (Austin, TX - sent to my physical address here) in the last month or so, both took 3  weeks.

For the OP maybe spring for DHL is USPS is deemed unacceptable.

• Like 2

I have used Fed Ex, UPS , DHL, no problem.  I liked DHL the best. 
Regarding USPS.  They are accountable for international items up to it leaving the USA.  Once it gets overseas it goes to the local postal system or courier services for delivery.  So if the item is lost let’s say, things could get somewhat complicated.  
If you use Fed Ex, DHL, UPS,  it goes from their facilities in the states to their facilities overseas. No middleman. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

For the OP maybe spring for DHL

A DHL quote today is $86.85, delivery by April 5 end of day.

48 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I just had my new Global Entry card, and Fidelity ATM Debit card sent from a family member to my thai post post office box via USPS airmail, $1.20, took ~ 23 days.

Separately I had an activated UltraMobile SIM delivered using the same method.

At first I thought that a Birthday card envelope would be good but after more thought I agree with @Gottfrid that it would attract more attention.

Thanks to @BananaBandit for suggesting including my phone # on outside of envelope.

Thanks to @asiacurious for going to the trouble of finding the pricing details.

I think I'll pay the DHL premium for the extra security.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ClaySmc said:

I have a capital one credit card and called them to send it to Thailand. They sent it FedEx, with no charge.

I have asked two of my banks...citi and us bank to send cards here.  Both try...but neither ever get it right.

The girls cannot figure out how to put the address in boxes that are not meant for Thai addresses.  

frustrating AF

11 hours ago, asiacurious said:

Well, for the debit card by itself, I'd have your friend buy a birthday card, write you a nice message, pop the card in, then mail it to you regular old first class air mail

and see it disappear.  A very bad idea 

3 minutes ago, rwill said:

I bought some candy canes on amazon to send here for my wife.  She was jonesing for some non-peppermint ones.  They sent it with UPS.  When it arrived in Thailand I recieved an email from someone in UPS that demanded I mail them my passport and pay additional fees to get the candy canes.  I told them I would never mail them my passport and that any import fees had been paid in advance.  Never did get the candy canes.  Fortunately amazon did refund my money after I sent them all the emails between me and UPS.  I also contacted UPS main office in the US and they said they would investigate but never heard anything back from them either.

I had ordered some other candy canes at the same time.  They were mailed through the post office.  They showed up with no problem.

Yes, they are truly useless . 

12 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Using a trusted friends address I opened a CapitalOne360 account primarily to get their MasterCard based debit card to get the most ฿ per dollar exchanged.  They have no fees and their rate has been better than Wise every day over the last month.

I had a capitalone 360 account.  The debit card is good except they don't refund the fee Thai ATM's charge.  But having to use an American address and phone number was a problem.

Anyway.  If you can afford to open a Schwab one international account the debit card is even better besides no fees they also refund most fees charged by other ATMs.  So basically you get your money for free.  You can also wire money through them for free(it shows a $15 fee but they refund that instantly too).

Another big advantage is you can use your Thai address and phone number.  No need to maintain another one.  However to open an account you must be able to deposit $25,000 or $25,000 worth of stocks transfered from another broker.

18 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I have asked two of my banks...citi and us bank to send cards here.  Both try...but neither ever get it right.

The girls cannot figure out how to put the address in boxes that are not meant for Thai addresses.  

frustrating AF

I'm not sure I fully grasp the nature of your problem. 

But I suspect you might resolve it by requesting any sender to write your Thai phone number on the package.