Language barrier, stereotypes frustrate new Chinese migrants to Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Most should know that the Filipino English teachers have it bad here. Well, I've seen the Chinese teachers treated even worse.

You see, most Thais don't know much Chinese, so the method of communication between them has to be English. But since they're Chinese teachers their English isn't very good, thus leading to many frustrations. Their Thai superiors often just ignore them and leave them in the dark about many things. I've had to tell them about school events and visa/WP procedures. These aren't very hi-so Chinese, they've often come from small, rural villages, the reason they've sought jobs abroad. The Thais know this and thus their attitude is very much like, well if you don't like it, go back to your village.

The irony is this was at a famous BKK private school, with fancy classrooms decked out in Chinese decor, where hi-so parents pay handsomely for what's considered to be a prestigious language to know. The teachers of this language however, are not. 

But the place looks good and looks expensive.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

These new, more transient migrants may be mainly searching for business opportunities and to pursue a better quality of life, strategically encouraged by China to explore such opportunities overseas as part of its official discourse on xin yimin (new migrants) – even as others simply wish to pursue personal dreams.

In lay-mans terms... criminals?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

By the way, "Xin Yimin" sounds like neo-colonialism.

You got it in one!

Congratulations.

What's obvious to a few  is lost on most.

It's all part of the long game the CCP is playing (and winning).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If they would leave, I would not miss them. Whay don't they move to their commie brothers in North Korea ? Brothers in arms and ideologie = total control of the people, zero freedom of speech.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Thailand said:

I think the majority are looking to improve their lives much the same as the majority of the expats on the forum.

Many are here on education visa extensions with their kids.Many are here because of the oppressive situation in China at the moment.

From the article:

....strategically encouraged by China to explore such opportunities overseas as part of its official discourse....

Read that as an official CCP plan. Infrastructure from China will follow: roads and trains. I'd be more worried if Thais were welcoming Chinese with open arms! China wants its foot in the door for more leverage.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Thailand said:

I think the majority are looking to improve their lives much the same as the majority of the expats on the forum.

Many are here on education visa extensions with their kids.Many are here because of the oppressive situation in China at the moment.

I agree. I was just being flippant with the ole ‘if you don’t like it go home’ expat favourite. ????

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

I too, came to Thailand seeking a better life.  And I too, have run into a language and cultural barrier.  Fortunately for me, I found a faithful, sexy Thai translator at my side, as we go fearlessly forth in the Land of Smiles.

Want to learn Thai fast? Get yourself a sexy female at your side who doesn't speak English.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 2

Well the Thai girl I'm with now speaks reasonable English but, sometimes when she says she doesn't understand what I just said, maybe American idiom, I then explain it to her in Thai.

She travels a lot within Thailand and we use LINE to communicate, I know she cheats a bit using the LINE translation English to Thai, because one time I asked her about her (Toyota) Fortuner, and she wrote back: What about my furniture?

• Haha 2

On 3/31/2022 at 4:15 AM, zzaa09 said:

Very similar and reflecting of Farang comparatives. 

Very few ever acclimate or adjust. 

Seeking out their own. 

First generation immigrants in every country seek their own kind. It's the second generation that  are fully assimilated. 

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

First generation immigrants in every country seek their own kind. It's the second generation that  are fully assimilated. 

Adults do, but kids under about 15 or so seem to do well here in the U.S. if they aren't in an area with a high concentration of their ethnic/language group.   I imported several relatives and the three kids speak pretty well now.  The three adults still mostly speak Thai with  at me after about 10 years or so.

A Lao refugee family had three younger ones, and after a few years in school you'd think they were born and raised here. They sucked up English like a sponge. 

6 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Adults do, but kids under about 15 or so seem to do well here in the U.S. if they aren't in an area with a high concentration of their ethnic/language group.   I imported several relatives and the three kids speak pretty well now.  The three adults still mostly speak Thai with  at me after about 10 years or so.

A Lao refugee family had three younger ones, and after a few years in school you'd think they were born and raised here. They sucked up English like a sponge. 

When I said first generation, I meant adults first generation. The kids who go to schools are, though first generation, are like second generation because they did not migrate. Their parents migrated. I have a few friends who grew up in the USA and migrated when young (less than 15 or even younger) with their parents and graduated high schools in the USA and they have very few friends from their own country and most of their friends are people they went to schools with. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 1