Is it just me or

17 minutes ago, howlee101 said:

Here's a few terms to consider:  wokeness, safe spaces, snowflakes

Microaggression

So micro as to be unimportant but what the heck I'll bring it to HR anyway.

The young people truly deserve what they will reap.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, itsari said:

No good asking me . Read what the general consensus is . We all become smarter on average . I can understand that .Mensa I have no idea , I will look it up on google

We become smarter in using the current technologies, but we lose older skills. It used to be a requirement of chemical engineers to learn about thermodynamics, now quite a few courses omit it. In my field, the current crop of chemists may not be able to balance a redox reaction.

The entry qualifications for Mensa are to be in the top 2% of the general population after undertaking a supervised and approved intelligence test. IIRC, it used to be an IQ of 150 or better to be admitted to membership.

Being a member of Mensa does not necessarily mean one will be more successful or happier in life, in point of fact there are quite a few who have miserable lives.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its the younger generation and its not Thai specific .

People in Western Countries say the same about their younger generation . 

The young generation has been criticized I would guess before I was around .

Yet the rapid advancement in technology the last few years has made young people further away from the older generation.

No stopping progress

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Just look at the role models.

Johnson inveterate liar. Trump,  mental. Putin, megalomaniac.......and probably the worstest role models of all....selfish, ignorant parents.

There only two role models that spring to mind on the world stage, Arden and Merkel .

where is the barf emoji ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's getting scary alright. One poster above went out of his way to pound the liberal drums. In the US sending your kid to a private school is necessary, but then what about college?

I think one of the problems is this left and right thinking.

In general I guess I am somewhere left from center. But looking at those radical left wing people (see video above) I don't want to have anything to do with that part of left.

And for those radical left people, lets say the 5% most left all the others are right wing. From the 5% radical left 95% of the others are right wing or radical right wing.

It's time that the many people in the center realize that many of them are drawn more and more to the left and others are more and more drawn to the right. Then there is not much center anymore.

We should realize that we can live happily in nuances of the center together and we should "fight" against the radicals on both left and right. They are the people who try to make our lives miserable. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Knew a guy in the 809's that owned a pizza parlor.  his interview was

a slice of peperoni   1.00

a slice of Hawaiian1.25

a coke 25

a bag of chips 16

How much do you charge him

He gives you a 5 dollar bill what do you give him for change.

No calculator or pencils allowed.

don't know what the failure rate was but a lot of university kids looked for a different job lol

Why would a cashier need to be able to work maths out in their head ?

These days its all bar codes and QR scans and even calculators are outdated .

Its unnecessary for cashiers to do the sums themselves .

Even cash is getting to be outdated these days , everything is done on their phones and cash doesn't even change hands , QR numbers are just exchanged . 

Theres really no need to anyone to work out sums in their head , that all began changing about 60 years ago when electronic tills became popular 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The more things change. The more they stay the same.

I don't use a smartphone or watch/read any MSM. As for social media. It's cancer. Twitter is an echo chamber for fools. Addicts chasing that next hit of dopamine. I just don't get involved.  I'm still in my 30's  Just my two cents.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Even cash is getting to be outdated these days , everything is done on their phones and cash doesn't even change hands , QR numbers are just exchanged . 

Theres really no need to anyone to work out sums in their head , that all began changing about 60 years ago when electronic tills became popular 

I used to run dowloads from systems for billing then run macro in Excel to add in specific charges. 

If I let an apprentice loose on the calculations the end product would inevitably contain errors where the input team had erroneously entered, perhaps a decimal point. The numbers jumped out at me being way too high, for the apprentices I had to add another calculation to check and flag any possible errors. Their mental arithmetic skills were such they couldn't rough check a number/calculation even if it was way out.

To me there is a failing if somebody hits a wrong button on a calculator or inputs a wrong value against goods and hasn't the ability to spot the error. Likewise perhaps a customer 

• Like 2

I was in a 7/11 recently  and I purchased six different items , the cashier was trying to switch the till on and scan the bar codes and I said to her "186 Baht" and she looked at me in a confused way  and continued scanning the six goods and then I gave her 500 Baht . 

She looked at the till and mumbled "186 Baht change"

I smiled and walked out

37 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I needed to pay 304thb, I gave 2-100, 3-20's and 1-50. The girl was stumped for a bit and finally gave me the 6 thb change.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

What ever happened to people being responsible for themselves.

Not sure that it was ever like that.  Humans are by far and away the most stupid of animals. Yes, we can invent things, manufacture things, think deeply about things and still be as dumb as a pile of bricks. If you judge a people by its leaders, then you have your answer.  Stupid people vote in stupid leaders, so we must all be as thick as xxxx. 

45 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

You have an odd moniker, considering the superstition you bring to the 'argument'.

Gay is not a choice, but people like you (who often are insecure about their own masculinity and orientation, if not outright hypocrites like a good many TV 'preachers') want to limit whom others can either love or commit to in life. It is absolutely none of your business, and undoubtedly you would be the first to bark if someone with a different view than yours demanded some of your wants/desires/practices should be outlawed.

I doubt being born gay is an easy thing, largely because of ancient superstitions or people like you.  Research proves that there are developmental differences in the brains of gay people, specifically in the size of certain brain components. Folks born that way did not ask for it, yet you are outraged that CIVILIZED society has finally recognized reality and has enacted laws that stop discrimination based on factors totally out of the control of the individual, particularly when the behaviors driven by those physiological differences cause ZERO harm to anyone else.

Yours is a world of superstition and bigotry, and best left in the dustbin of history, letting civilized and evolved men and women carry on with the progress of the species.

By the way, even religious people have to consider that there were likely gay men among the apostles. Maybe the more recognizable term is the old one the US used in the 1950s: "confirmed bachelor"

(I happen to be a practicing heterosexual, not gay, but I carry no bigotry for gay men or women. Of course I do carry contempt for people holding silly and superstitious views which SCIENCE has proven wrong.)

Evolution.

Always difficult for some.

Near impossible for a majority of the aged.............it's a neuropathology thing.

Welcome to the "Virtual Retirement Home".

19 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

It is possible humanity is suffering a bit of 'use it or lose it'. We may be generally less intelligent because we have changed the way we do many things---from typing rather than writing longhand, to using calculators instead of learning Tables to seeking out too much mindless entertainment like most television and cinema.

It could also be a kind of Bad Darwinism, as the more successful people in societies---who most often are intellectual superior---are producing fewer offspring. Dumb is being selected in because those so afflicted are reproducing more.

On the other hand, I would say that many people (perfect example is the US' 45) are willfully ignorant and intellectually lazy. Much in life is so easy now, that some people think it's a feat on par with Newton & Leibniz developing calculus, Einstein developing relativity theory, or JC Maxwell discovering the laws of electromagnetism just to repeat "person woman man camera TV". Said individual---willfully ignorant---was unaware China and India share a border (and fought over it many times), or that there are not Indian neighbors called "Nipple" and "Button". Intellectual laziness also makes people ripe for exploitation by those who want to promote particular views. The silly QAnon conspiracy is about as foolish as anything anyone has made up in a thousand years, yet it has captured the minds of upwards of 30% of Americans. That should scare rational people, particularly because democracy gives those people the right to vote. H.L. Mencken was proven prescient in 2016, based on his old quote:

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

The internet age has given everyone a voice and made it easy to spread absolutely ludicrous beliefs. We may actually be dumber, but it may also be that the ignorant are much more visible than when they did not have the entire world open to them. The Village Idiot is now online.

Then there is the problem of personal insecurity, which prevents some people from wanting to know actual facts. In a recent thread I noted some economic data I retrieved from entities such as the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the US Treasury, and the Bureau of Economic Analysis. That data flies in the face of what some want to believe about recent history, and such people purposely avoid facts, as these interfere with their belief system.

Another example is the horribly named Critical Race Theory (CRT), which the right argues is an attempt to force Caucasians to feel guilty, when in fact it is merely to stop hiding unpleasant historical realities in the very nation whose originally stated goal is to 'form a more perfect Union'. The Founders of the US seem to have known they were flawed individuals, but set up a system where progress toward total societal equality was an ongoing process. Ignoring unpleasant historical realities prevents the very equality sought. Students should learn about slavery, because its effects are still being felt in society 150 years after it ended, and the biases which allowed slavery in the first place impacted society in everything from Jim Crow Laws to lynching to the 1921 Oklahoma Black Wall Street Massacre. In a similar vein, it is important students are taught about Relocation Camps such as Manzanar. Slavery, Manzanar and other realities are unpleasant and can make some people feel bad, but knowing the reality and committing to never allowing such things to happen again benefits everybody.

"The Village Idiot is now online"

The perfect short answer to the OP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/31/2022 at 4:45 PM, kingstonkid said:

It is not just the phone it is also the internet.

Imagine the conversations here is we had to use our real names.

Social media allows people to flame whoever they want and be anonymous with no repercussions.

Just remember what it was like when yo called someone something bad on the phone in the old days they knew who you were 

It’s like Christmas for Tourette’s sufferers!

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

We become smarter in using the current technologies, but we lose older skills. It used to be a requirement of chemical engineers to learn about thermodynamics, now quite a few courses omit it. In my field, the current crop of chemists may not be able to balance a redox reaction.

The entry qualifications for Mensa are to be in the top 2% of the general population after undertaking a supervised and approved intelligence test. IIRC, it used to be an IQ of 150 or better to be admitted to membership.

Being a member of Mensa does not necessarily mean one will be more successful or happier in life, in point of fact there are quite a few who have miserable lives.

It does mean your mates will probably be smarter than you.

Back in the day, getting into the Premier League meant you got a share of the TV money, even if you finished 22nd.  There’s no TV money for getting into Mensa

34 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

It does mean your mates will probably be smarter than you.

Back in the day, getting into the Premier League meant you got a share of the TV money, even if you finished 22nd.  There’s no TV money for getting into Mensa

I can't recall saying there was money in Mensa.

Do you measure how smart someone is on how much money they make? That's as shallow as a mud puddle.

I assume the Premier League is the place where players are paid grotesque amounts of money to strike a round ball with their feet and heads, and practice their diving skills.

• Like 2

I am guessing that the Mensa IQ tests are rarely based on understanding analogies and parables.

Back in the day, I went through a number of “personality tests”.  The one administered by the Church of Scientology concluded that I needed to buy a book by L Ron Hubbard.  Perhaps if I had, the next, by a prospective employer, would have earmarked me as a potential CEO and I would not have progressed to the third, with another potential employer; this last was the only one for which they returned the results, and engaged in a mutual discussion of the results.  I took a different job anyway, following an old fashioned interview process (remember, this was back in the day).

12 hours ago, Walker88 said:

It is possible humanity is suffering a bit of 'use it or lose it'. We may be generally less intelligent because we have changed the way we do many things---from typing rather than writing longhand, to using calculators instead of learning Tables to seeking out too much mindless entertainment like most television and cinema.

It could also be a kind of Bad Darwinism, as the more successful people in societies---who most often are intellectual superior---are producing fewer offspring. Dumb is being selected in because those so afflicted are reproducing more.

On the other hand, I would say that many people (perfect example is the US' 45) are willfully ignorant and intellectually lazy. Much in life is so easy now, that some people think it's a feat on par with Newton & Leibniz developing calculus, Einstein developing relativity theory, or JC Maxwell discovering the laws of electromagnetism just to repeat "person woman man camera TV". Said individual---willfully ignorant---was unaware China and India share a border (and fought over it many times), or that there are not Indian neighbors called "Nipple" and "Button". Intellectual laziness also makes people ripe for exploitation by those who want to promote particular views. The silly QAnon conspiracy is about as foolish as anything anyone has made up in a thousand years, yet it has captured the minds of upwards of 30% of Americans. That should scare rational people, particularly because democracy gives those people the right to vote. H.L. Mencken was proven prescient in 2016, based on his old quote:

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

The internet age has given everyone a voice and made it easy to spread absolutely ludicrous beliefs. We may actually be dumber, but it may also be that the ignorant are much more visible than when they did not have the entire world open to them. The Village Idiot is now online.

Then there is the problem of personal insecurity, which prevents some people from wanting to know actual facts. In a recent thread I noted some economic data I retrieved from entities such as the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the US Treasury, and the Bureau of Economic Analysis. That data flies in the face of what some want to believe about recent history, and such people purposely avoid facts, as these interfere with their belief system.

Another example is the horribly named Critical Race Theory (CRT), which the right argues is an attempt to force Caucasians to feel guilty, when in fact it is merely to stop hiding unpleasant historical realities in the very nation whose originally stated goal is to 'form a more perfect Union'. The Founders of the US seem to have known they were flawed individuals, but set up a system where progress toward total societal equality was an ongoing process. Ignoring unpleasant historical realities prevents the very equality sought. Students should learn about slavery, because its effects are still being felt in society 150 years after it ended, and the biases which allowed slavery in the first place impacted society in everything from Jim Crow Laws to lynching to the 1921 Oklahoma Black Wall Street Massacre. In a similar vein, it is important students are taught about Relocation Camps such as Manzanar. Slavery, Manzanar and other realities are unpleasant and can make some people feel bad, but knowing the reality and committing to never allowing such things to happen again benefits everybody.

I would be interested to see this economic data that flies in the face of what are commonly held to be facts.

Not a snarky post I am keen to see the two sets of figures.

Suitably simplified of course. 

1 hour ago, rott said:

I would be interested to see this economic data that flies in the face of what are commonly held to be facts.

Not a snarky post I am keen to see the two sets of figures.

Suitably simplified of course. 

What specific "economic data that flies in the face of what are commonly held to be facts" that was referred by the previous poster would you like to see?
I did not see any reference to economic data.  
What is the second set of figures to which you would like to compare the data that you say (by reference "this economic data") you would like him to provide?

I am not being snarky, I am accusing you of obfuscation.

Back in the day, we could cope with data without suitable simplification.  

On 3/31/2022 at 6:41 PM, kingstonkid said:

Knew a guy in the 809's that owned a pizza parlor.  his interview was

a slice of peperoni   1.00

a slice of Hawaiian1.25

a coke 25

a bag of chips 16

How much do you charge him

He gives you a 5 dollar bill what do you give him for change.

No calculator or pencils allowed.

don't know what the failure rate was but a lot of university kids looked for a different job lol

I'd give him 34 cents change and tell him he gave me a 3 dollar bill.