Keeping Credit Cards Active as an Expat

I searched for this but could not find anything. I am on track to retire in Thailand in early 2023. I will be maintaining a US address for banking, etc.

My question is what do you tell your credit card companies when you retired in Thailand?

I know they will allow you to note that you are on holiday in a foreign country for a period of time so they don’t decline transactions, but what about when you will be there for years?

Obviously, I would like to keep my cards in good standing for a s long as I live I Thailand.

So, I do not know any credit company that will refuse credit to existing customers who is actively using their card when they keep good standing. Sounds to me, that would be 100 % against their business policy.

Edited by Gottfrid

I had my CC companies add my Thai Address to the accounts as a secondary address and explained I would be using them here in Thailand as well as the US, with the information that I would be splitting my time between the US and Thailand.  That was 10 years ago and I have had no problems.  This year I took a short trip back to my on-file residence in the US for the first time in 26 months, and while there had them send the new cards to me there as they were all expiring this year in May.  The last time they were close to expiring, 5 years ago, I had them all sent to my Thai Address with no problems.  I have US bank accounts still so I guess thats why I have no issues.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, I do not know any credit company that will refuse credit to existing customers who is actively using their card when they keep good standing. Sounds to me, that would be 100 % against their business policy.

Yes, but my question is, what did you tell your credit card companies when you retired in Thailand? Surely you would have notified them they may see charges from a foriegn country?

12 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Yes, of course, they will if they are interested.  But there's nothing you can tell them that will make them less interested.  

I think you will find that in some cases credit cards no longer get restricted unless you tell the credit card company you are visiting a country.  At least that is my experience with three CapitalOne credit cards.  No problem when I use them in Thailand.  I have told CapitalOne nothing about the fact that I am in Thailand or that I live in Thailand.

I think it is a huge mistake to inform US financial institutions that you don't live in the US.  If not today, it could become a huge problem tomorrow.

New cards are delivered to my virtual mailbox address in the US, and I have them forwarded to me in Thailand by that service.

If CapitalOne took an interest in it they could easily tell that I make purchases primarily in the US and in Thailand.

Thanks for that answer, it had not occured to me to just not say anything to them as I am used to letting them know when I travel. That may be the way to go.

EDIT: Now that you mention this, I remember the last time I called American Express to tell them I was travelling they told me it's not necessary to let them know anymore.

Edited by chipkimberimd
Add Comment

I let mine go years ago and very happy. Only needed cc a few times.

The only real issue is renting a car in US but next trip we'll use Uber.

I had a cc here many years ago from SCB. There was a limit of ??? I think they held 80k.

Highly advise not trying to manage it from overseas address

I only use my cards for US based transactions, ie online subscriptions. Thai bank accounts for everything else. The only US card I use here is my Schwab debit card and they are intelligent enough to figure out after the first time verification that my Thailand ATM transactions are legit. Never any issues after that.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I agree but his obvious residency here, not the US as he has informed them, could be a problem for some card issuers.   At card renewal time they could refuse to issue a new card but the only way for him to find out would be to ask his card issuer and that would risk giving the game away. 

The alternative is to rely on speculation from anonymous people who know nothing about him or his situation with his card provider.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

There are far too many variables. known only to you, for anyone to make any sort of blanket recommendation.

Will you stay in thailand permanently? Return to the U.S. often?

Depends on the banks, cards, financial services companies, your state, who manages the mail, state taxes, jury duty, credit reports......

Personally I maintain an address in the U.S., family member, and have done so for ~ 15-ish years. I've encountered no issues. I've changed my address with SSA and the IRS to thailand.

Some things I can recommend: sort out telecommunication requirements BEFORE leaving. Have one, two or even three options - mobile phone numbers, security key - for receiving 2FA OTPs. Target at least one which offers WiFi calling.

And register for all the government/private pension service options: login.gov, id.me, mySSA, etc.

Set-up any standing international wire transfer orders BEFORE leaving, this assumes you have a thai bank account already. Recommend Bangkok Bank and SCB.

Get at least two or three credit cards which offer no foreign transaction fee (Cap1, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BofA Travel Rewards).

Get at least one ATM Debit Card which offers ATM fee refunds: Schwab or Fidelity.

Get familiar with all finserv online and mobile app usage.

A large part of living abroad that I enjoy is the simplicity.

Thailand is still very much a cash economy and much can be done online with a debit card.

I guess if I needed a hobby I'd take this advice.

Finally, there's still lots of shenanigans with card fraud here. Bad enough to sort out a Thai card let alone one from abroad.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I had a US credit card from Citi for over 20 years I maintained with good standing. Out of the blue with still 18 months validity on the card, I was told account would be closed without notice due to a lack of activity.

https://onemileatatime.com/citi-credit-card-closed-inactivity/

Yeah, not sure this is related to real/virtual domicles?

15 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I had a US credit card from Citi for over 20 years I maintained with good standing. Out of the blue with still 18 months validity on the card, I was told account would be closed without notice due to a lack of activity. I had not used it for 20 months during the pandemic and my lack of travel and wasn't expecting this. I was not allowed to reopen the account as my full time address was now in Thailand (retired).

I always believe that any set back offers opportunities, so I decided to close all my dealings with Citi and opened a new Credit Card with a Thai bank. The service is much preferable and I haven't looked back.

Pre-paid or money in an account is needed for a Thai bank card unless your Thai.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The alternative is to rely on speculation from anonymous people who know nothing about him or his situation with his card provider.

There is a third alternative too. That is for other posters to disregard some posters plump ways of bad behavior posting. I suggest you direct you fountain of information to the OP, and try to help him instead.

What I was doing, was elaborating on how I think most card issuers would look at it. I did not tell him to rely on anything nor posted any reliable speculation. What I did post, was my opinion.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There is a third alternative too. That is for other posters to disregard some posters plump ways of bad behavior posting. I suggest you direct you fountain of information to the OP, and try to help him instead.

What I was doing, was elaborating on how I think most card issuers would look at it. I did not tell him to rely on anything nor posted any reliable speculation. What I did post, was my opinion.

Yes, and if you hadn't clipped my comment and partially quoted it, it would have been clear that my advice was directed to him

This what I actually posted...

"I agree but his obvious residency here, not the US as he has informed them, could be a problem for some card issuers.   At card renewal time they could refuse to issue a new card but the only way for him to find out would be to ask his card issuer and that would risk giving the game away. 

The alternative is to rely on speculation from anonymous people who know nothing about him or his situation with his card provider".

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Pre-paid or money in an account is needed for a Thai bank card unless your Thai.

I'm not Thai and I have real credit cards with Citi, SCB and AmEx, no deposit required. Of course I am working but when AmEx offered me their Thai co-brand card back in 2012 they did say that a WP wasn't needed.

20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, and if you hadn't clipped my comment and partially quoted it, it would have been clear that my advice was directed to him

This what I actually posted...

"I agree but his obvious residency here, not the US as he has informed them, could be a problem for some card issuers.   At card renewal time they could refuse to issue a new card but the only way for him to find out would be to ask his card issuer and that would risk giving the game away. 

The alternative is to rely on speculation from anonymous people who know nothing about him or his situation with his card provider".

Yeah, or he could just ask anonymous people on a forum. You, know only that is a strange thing to write. Most people you get answers from on forums are unknown to you or anonymous. Getting elaborations and posts as well as suggestions and answers from them is like the whole point with an online forum.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, or he could just ask anonymous people on a forum. You, know only that is a strange thing to write. Most people you get answers from on forums are unknown to you or anonymous. Getting elaborations and posts as well as suggestions and answers from them is like the whole point with an online forum.

The only point of asking questions is to get accurate answers, not guesses, hearsay or speculation which is what is generally bandied around on anonymous forums.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, which makes a Thai credit card a really bad affair. Better to have access to the money instead, and repay your own account with no interest. ????