Motorcycle Exhaust

dsmiththailand

I've been stopped a few times for having a loud exhaust on my Honda Rebel and have been able to convince the locals it is stock from the factory, so they have let me go.

As i have download a sound meter on my iphone, it shows the exhaust sound is alot lower than the number the cops are showing me.

Is there a shop i can bring my bike to have them test the sound?  I am in Pattaya.

Thanks

• Haha 1

In my experience having had the pipe changed from the engine to the exhaust piece, there may be a leak in the welded seal. I'd suggest taking it to any of the many shop around that work on exhausts for cars. They also work on motorbikes. Start the engine up and ask if they can help. They may simply be able to re-weld the connection OR they may want to sell you a new metal piece. Make sure you have them agree that if the new piece does not solve the problem, you don't want to pay for it. Good luck with that!

• Confused 1

When cars or motorcycles are more than 5/6 years old you have to have them checked before you can renew the annual tax/ registration.

There is a place next to our local DLT office that carries out the check and from memory issues a document.

For motor cycles they check the exhaust with some sort of machine.

Maybe this is the place to h

• Like 1

Just now, StevieAus said:

When cars or motorcycles are more than 5/6 years old you have to have them checked before you can renew the annual tax/ registration.

There is a place next to our local DLT office that carries out the check and from memory issues a document.

Last word missing “go”

Any non standard exhaust and any that doesn't have the TIS - Thai Industrial Standards stamp is illegal, no matter the Db limit. Anything other than standard one runs the risk of being fined. I had a non standard can on my Aerox, with a video at a testing station reading 91Db@4 or 5000rpm. I got nailed regardless' "not standard, mister"

My Duc comes with Ducati supplied and fitted Termignoni's at 107Db, alas no TIS stamp ????

• Like 1

I have loud pipes, not obnoxious. Made in TH, identical to the factory pipes but not TIS certified. Only occasionally ever stoped but never an issue about my pipes. They’re sweet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

That is to check Emissions nothing to do with the decibel reading.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

That is to check Emissions nothing to do with the decibel reading.

My bikes are checked for Db reading only, at the independent inspection shops as well at the Chon Buri LTO. I haven’t seen an emissions test done yet in the time I’ve been here. Go figure 

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You should know yourself if your bike exhaust is too loud, it only takes a little bit of common sense, if you do not have that common sense, then you should not be riding a motorbike. There is no excuse whatever for having a loud exhaust.

I don’t like loud exhausts on my bikes because I just don’t like the noise. 

But, whenever I’m driving I always hear the bike with the loud exhaust....  ‘Loud pipes save lives’ is the saying and its very true... A loud bike is always far far more noticeable in traffic, you always hear it before you see it -thats defiantly safer. 

On my moo-baan there is a Triumph Speed Twin which is obviously quite loud, but the rider is always very considerate when riding through the moo-baan, I hear the bike but never hear him raving etc.

On the other hand the security has a pocket-rocket (Yamaha R300 or something similar) , when he arrives and departs his shift he revs his bike - that irritates the cr@p out of me !

I don’t mind bikes that made noise...   I mind the riders who rev the s#it out of their bikes while knowing they are loud. 

Now... this thread has given a few who can’t help but post hyperbolic over reactions an opportunity to spout their nonsense.. (below)... 

5 hours ago, pomchop said:

just what we all need...more idiots roaring around seeing how much noise they can make thinking it makes them cool to disturb the hell out of everyone

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Stop being part of the problem......buy a quieter motorcycle. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pomchop said:

just what we all need...more idiots roaring around seeing how much noise they can make thinking it makes them cool to disturb the hell out of everyone

Not everyone thinks the same. I have a Cbr650f and a got a  aftermarket exhaust, not loud, it would take me 2 min. to take the baffle out but I don't do this because I like and respect my neighbors too much.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dsmiththailand said:

As i have download a sound meter on my iphone, it shows the exhaust sound is alot lower than the number the cops are showing me.

I guess if they are looking for tea money their decibel meter is set up to aid that endeavour.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

There is no excuse whatever for having a loud exhaust.

Unless you like it. Thailand means Freeland

We are not policed by Buford T Justice.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Unless you like it. Thailand means Freeland

We are not policed by Buford T Justice.

"Thailand means Freeland". Yes, but that was before all these Coups started, away before The soldiers decided to oust governments voted in by the people, so they could line their pockets. All these generals running a Freeland???????????

• Like 1

Went yesterday for the annual tax inspection.

They put a sniffer down the exhaust pipe.

Set up a microphone about 1 meter away from the tail pipe.

Wanted to see the license plate mounted correctly (had mine tucked under the tail tidy so they temporarily relocated it for me then put it back. LOL)

Saw them inspecting a scooter and they mounted a chain guard on it for the inspection then removed it. LOL

Apparently the inspections are videotaped. 

• Like 1

Whatever you do might not make any difference with the police. They want money.

If their meter shows X and your meter shows Y do you think they agree that your meter shows the accurate value?

I don't know how much money they want from you. In Bangkok I paid over the years 90% of the time 100B for whatever they complained about. Here, take it, have a nice day.

40 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know how much money they want from you. In Bangkok I paid over the years 90% of the time 100B for whatever they complained about. Here, take it, have a nice day.

How often are you stopped in Bangkok ?....  I find that the BiB are really not interested in me (in a car or on a bike)... 

You guys putting loud pipes on your bikes might want to take note of a study carried out by MCN (Motorcycle News),a UK bike mag a few years back.

They tested several aftermarket pipes on sports bikes - some of them bloody expensive and found that in almost all cases, the standard pipes produced more power.  Its a while back now but I seem to remember that only one pipe produced more power and that was minimal.

MCN concluded that despite the pipe manufacturers claims of more HP, the increase existed mainly in the owners mind - due to the increased noise.

Be aware also that some National Parks have a decibel limit now so for example, you guys with the hideously noisy Harley's won't be getting in to Khao Yai National Park which has a limit of 94db.  Thankfully my bike is 83db @ 5000rpm. 

I've also found that with gloves a black visor and a pretty good "Sawatdee khrab, tao rai khrab" I get in for Thai price - well I have once ????.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1