Motorcycle Exhaust

dsmiththailand

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

How often are you stopped in Bangkok ?....  I find that the BiB are really not interested in me (in a car or on a bike)... 

Since Covid I don't think they every stopped me. Before that maybe once a month. And then most of the time because I didn't ride on the left side or my gf preferred to leave the helmet at home. Most of the time they had a reason and I don't mind giving them that 100B.

Funny enough, my smaller bike, a Suzuki Raider, has an obvious aftermarket exhaust. It's, let's say, a little loud, not extreme. They never stopped me or fined me because of that exhaust.

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

No nonsense spouted,,,just more BS from people who seem to think it is their right to make all the NOISE they want disturbing others who have no desire to hear a loud bike just so they can pretend to be some macho motorbike man child....i hope somebody opens a karaoke bar next to you some day and see how u feel about NOISE then....

I love the exhaust sounds coming from a great engine like a Ducati with Termi pipes, a Honda 4 cylinder winding it up to max RPMs., a V8 muscle car, the orgasmic exhaust shriek of a 10 banger Carera GT, Lamborghini, Lexus LFA and I might even get a discharge at the howl of classic 12 cylinder Ferrari or Jaguar. 

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, LarrySR said:
14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

A chain guard on a scooter?

Probably a Honda Wave but I wasn’t really paying close attention. 
Small motorbike with chain drive. How’s that?

I'll forgive you. ????

Probably a Honda Wave but I wasn’t really paying close attention. 
Small motorbike with chain drive. How’s that?

Failing the registration inspection because of lack of chainguard has been covered in posts on the Motorcycle in Thailand section. 

Install one for the inspection, take it off after.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Failing the registration inspection because of lack of chainguard has been covered in posts on the Motorcycle in Thailand section. 

I presume it comes under the classification of 'unauthorized modification'. If that's case, there are a lot of 'naked Waves' racing around the countryside that would never pass an inspection.

33 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

With all due respect, the chain guard is for protection against personal injury, yes?     Why on earth would you want to remove it?

On 4/7/2022 at 5:37 AM, pomchop said:

No nonsense spouted,,,just more BS from people who seem to think it is their right to make all the NOISE they want disturbing others who have no desire to hear a loud bike just so they can pretend to be some macho motorbike man child....i hope somebody opens a karaoke bar next to you some day and see how u feel about NOISE then....

That post should win an award - well done sir !

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Reading these posts, it seems to me that all these retards with loud pipes, its just a "look at me" stunt.

Sad or what?

Written by a guy who’s never ridden a motorcycle. 

Many of the motorcycles are really ‘loud’ from the manufacture, sports bikes, Harleys, Triumphs are generally louder than your average scooter !!!....  

Personally, I don’t want a loud bike, I don’t like them. But, IF a motorcycle is already loud with an OEM exhaust from the manufacturer then it simply is what it is...  just as long as guys are not ’thrashing’ and raving their motorcycles in residential neighbourhoods... 

So, the issue isn’t so much loud pipes - its the mentality of guys who unnecessarily ‘rev’ their loud bikes. 

-----

There are  couple of guys in my Moo-baan - one with a  Triumph Bobber another with a Speed-Twin, both ride conscientiously - I hear their bikes when they ride in and out, but I also hear some cars and scooters... they’re not much louder, just more notable because of the ‘put-put’ sound. 

so.... Loud exhausts not the problem - its the mentality of ’some riders’ with loud exhausts that make the problems. 

Then of course there are the grumpy old farts who would just complain and b!tch about anything, reinforce their views with confirmation bias and fail to recognise issues with any sense of balance....   they seem prevalent on this thread. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Written by a guy who’s never ridden a motorcycle. 

Many of the motorcycles are really ‘loud’ from the manufacture, sports bikes, Harleys, Triumphs are generally louder than your average scooter !!!....  

Personally, I don’t want a loud bike, I don’t like them. But, IF a motorcycle is already loud with an OEM exhaust from the manufacturer then it simply is what it is...  just as long as guys are not ’thrashing’ and raving their motorcycles in residential neighbourhoods... 

So, the issue isn’t so much loud pipes - its the mentality of guys who unnecessarily ‘rev’ their loud bikes. 

-----

There are  couple of guys in my Moo-baan - one with a  Triumph Bobber another with a Speed-Twin, both ride conscientiously - I hear their bikes when they ride in and out, but I also hear some cars and scooters... they’re not much louder, just more notable because of the ‘put-put’ sound. 

so.... Loud exhausts not the problem - its the mentality of ’some riders’ with loud exhausts that make the problems. 

Then of course there are the grumpy old farts who would just complain and b!tch about anything, reinforce their views with confirmation bias and fail to recognise issues with any sense of balance....   they seem prevalent on this thread. 

the nerve of those grumpy old men who like to enjoy sleeping or enjoying a touch of peace and quiet rather than having to listen to loud bikes roaring by.....200 people in a condo suffering the noise of one or two loud bike morons.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, pomchop said:

200 people in a condo suffering the noise of one or two loud bike morons.

From NY Times, 21 Feb -

According to a study by Bruitparif, a state-backed center that monitors noise in the Paris area, a modified scooter crossing Paris at night can wake as many as 10,000 people.”

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 12:37 AM, pomchop said:

Tell this to all the small bike and car drivers constantly cutting in front of us big bikers because they don't see or hear us! You sound like someone who doesn't ride motorcycles in Thailand. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SS1 said:

Tell this to all the small bike and car drivers constantly cutting in front of us big bikers because they don't see or hear us! You sound like someone who doesn't ride motorcycles in Thailand. 

Such nonsense, thinking a loud engine is a safety feature! You are deluded..... Car drivers are cocooned in an airconditioned box with their music blasting out, motorcyclists are on their phones and only beeping the horn might get their attention. In this area 'noise' is everywhere because brats modify their exhausts... I thought my neighbour had a Harley until I saw his bike!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Such nonsense, thinking a loud engine is a safety feature! You are deluded..... Car drivers are cocooned in an airconditioned box with their music blasting out, motorcyclists are on their phones and only beeping the horn might get their attention. In this area 'noise' is everywhere because brats modify their exhausts... I thought my neighbour had a Harley until I saw his bike!

I don't like silly loud exhausts either (they're just annoying), but having an aftermarket pipe with a decent sound makes a huge difference when filtering in heavy traffic. I'm not talking about riding at speed on highways, but when riding e.g. through Bangkok during rush hour. You can very clearly see small bike riders turn their heads and make way when they hear you coming through.. same with car drivers, once they hear you they are much less likely to do a sudden lane change in front of you. I do drive a car too and can very clearly hear the rumble of a big bike before it passes in slow traffic. It doesn't make much difference at highway speeds. 

2 hours ago, SS1 said:

I don't like silly loud exhausts either (they're just annoying), but having an aftermarket pipe with a decent sound makes a huge difference when filtering in heavy traffic. I'm not talking about riding at speed on highways, but when riding e.g. through Bangkok during rush hour. You can very clearly see small bike riders turn their heads and make way when they hear you coming through.. same with car drivers, once they hear you they are much less likely to do a sudden lane change in front of you. I do drive a car too and can very clearly hear the rumble of a big bike before it passes in slow traffic. It doesn't make much difference at highway speeds. 

Unnecessary loud noise is still rude and inconsiderate.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 6:19 PM, pomchop said:

just what we all need...more idiots roaring around seeing how much noise they can make thinking it makes them cool to disturb the hell out of everyone

Thank you

15 hours ago, SS1 said:

Yep. A loud pipe is a safety feature and it's proven in this discussion that they do hear us coming.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/6/2022 at 6:29 AM, vandeventer said:

Maybe if he put the baffle back in he won't have so many problems.

Yes, check to see if your DB Killers are fitted. 

My Ducati has TERMIGNONI exhaust fitted, with the baffles in the bike is much quieter. 

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, 1 bolt only on each baffle. 

Easily lost also, many of my mates have removed and forgotten where they have put. 

termignoni-db-killer-for-diavel.jpg

That would justify the actions of police in my mind, a deliberate 'modification' solely to make more noise like a Thai teenager. In reality I don't feel that the factor of a motorcycle being still 'stock ex factory' is relevant.... too noisy is too noisy, made that way or not. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That would justify the actions of police in my mind, a deliberate 'modification' solely to make more noise like a Thai teenager. In reality I don't feel that the factor of a motorcycle being still 'stock ex factory' is relevant.... too noisy is too noisy, made that way or not. 

I've been riding motorcycles from the age of 10yo.

I love the feeling, the freedom, the wind and all the great things that come with riding.

I also love the sound of a Harley, a Ducati, a big twin. 

I've had a few 4 cylinder Jap. bikes which sound awesome. 

The smaller twins, around 300cc just sound awful and what I don't like are the scooters with loud exhaust, they sound like a lawn mower and perform just as well.

At the end of the day I reckon the cops are doing a good job, stopping these noisy bikes as most are really annoying. 

It's a shame the bigger bikes are policed in the same way. 

• Like 1