In Thailand, the war in Ukraine divides the generations

webfact

6 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

Young = naive and emotional.

Older = wiser and level-headed.

Principle is universal. So obvious it wasn't worth saying - even by the Guardian.

What is more interesting is the obvious left-right divide when it comes to the war. (Left-right in politics nowadays of course no longer means rich vs poor, but bleeding hearts vs hard-headed.) The left is on the side of Ukraine because they assume Ukraine is the victim (without giving any thought to the complex background and history of the war), and victimhood is the apotheosis of leftism.

Apparently, a lot of young people post on Aseannow.

I'm old, by the way. Very old.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

And there is this, from Wiki, which is interesting, if true. Even the Russians claim the Thais are inflating travel figures from Russia.  

My newly-arrived next door neighbour and his family are Russian. So that's one real one.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Covid vaccine assistance is ongoing so current and certainly more than any anthers have done. Humanitarian and military supplies is certainly also current. As to … too little to late? I beg to differ. I think the US and the European efforts are showing positive results in resisting the Russian unilateral making of war on Ukraine. I support the EU/NATO/US position of not currently sending in forces to a non-NATO nation.

We all support EU/NATO/ US but are they doing enough? Putin has time on his side, does Ukraine? So who will help Ukraine rebuild when this is all over? Or will Putin win in the end? Give Ukraine what they need to win this war and maybe Russia will stick it's head in the ground like a ostrich for 100 years.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jack Cook said:

Maybe India some EU countries are smarter than following the narrative that is being perpetrated and there is some hidden agenda like in all wars. All this nonsense is about 10% true at best. I’ve lived in both Russia and Ukraine and Ukraine presently is under the control of a actor dancing to some elses tune. Be nice if everyone just went home.

Sounds like a  tourist that traveled to Russia and maybe to the Ukraine? Give us a break!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

We all support EU/NATO/ US but are they doing enough? Putin has time on his side, does Ukraine? So who will help Ukraine rebuild when this is all over? Or will Putin win in the end? Give Ukraine what they need to win this war and maybe Russia will stick it's head in the ground like a ostrich for 100 years.

Not all support the anti Russia unity. As for the war damages, .I am all for war reparations, keeping in mind that they have to be “doable”. I reflect here on war reparations placed on Germany after WW I. In large measure, they created the conditions allowing the rise of a nationalist strongman. Of course, Putin seems to be playing that card already. So, what are you proposing in supplying Ukraine?

7 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

"Among the young there is a strong desire to stand by Ukrainians, while older conservatives describe Russia as a longstanding friend."

Sure. I totally get how a suppressed people can see a friend in a dictator. I'm sure they're also proud of having Myanmar as their neighbor. National delusion and possibly even a case or Stockholm syndrome. And a total lack of education of course. Dangerous combination.

If you're suggesting Thais are a suppressed people, they are not. Spend your effort in trying to understand this culture (even if just a little) rather than making uneducated claims. But I support your blame on the "tolerating" older conservatives.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Rubbish article by Guardian. No way the Thais would be divided about what is happening in faraway countries they can't even find on the map. The majority of Thais don't even discuss their own politics. I've heard only one person mentioning the war, in fact I haven't seen any people as apolitical as the Thais, which is probably not a bad thing after all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John Drake said:

So, again I ask, why don't the Thai elites send their children to Russia and China to be educated? Why don't they buy real estate there? Why didn't they travel to Russia and China for Covid vaccines, instead of the US? Why do they buy US and Western businesses and not Russian ones? Why do they buy European soccer teams and not Russian ones?

because like a lot of western nerds, they look only short term, and only listen to the western main media. The west will be worse than china, and all properties will be confiscated a way or another. 
"You will ow nothing but you will be happy" .... said the guru of Davos ...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, jcojco said:

because like a lot of western nerds, they look only short term, and only listen to the western main media. The west will be worse than china, and all properties will be confiscated a way or another. 
"You will ow nothing but you will be happy" .... said the guru of Davos ...

worse than china? they have full-on genocide going on in china atm. they have no freedom of speech. i dare you to go hold up a picture of winnie the pooh anywhere in china.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jack Cook said:

Maybe India some EU countries are smarter than following the narrative that is being perpetrated and there is some hidden agenda like in all wars. All this nonsense is about 10% true at best. I’ve lived in both Russia and Ukraine and Ukraine presently is under the control of a actor dancing to some elses tune. Be nice if everyone just went home.

Are you begging for a one way ticket to Ukrainer,?

Or why you post this nonsense? ????