Has anyone recently been approved for a credit card in Thailand

I have been living in Thailand now for 3 years. I have been working at the same job since August 2021 and just renewed again for another year. My income is only 33,666 as I am a teacher. I would love to travel but need to apply for a credit card to secure bookings. Are there any options for me here that would be halfway successful to try? 

Yes I do hold a work permit and Non-B visa. Currently my job pays through KTB but I know their requirements are strict. Any help would be great!

Edited by Khomsan P
Update title

Many Thai banks, if they will issue a credit card at all to foreigners, will only do so against a certain sum, stipulated by them, deposited in your account with them. Try offering to deposit and maintain a certain sum in your account with KTB. Failing that I can only suggest trying your luck with one of the big three, but without a track record with them on your part it's doubtful they will cooperate.

If you maintain a bank account and have a decent credit rating in your home country, you may find it easier applying there.

Edited by SheikYabodyline
  • Like 1

Did KTB tell you that you cannot get a credit card? You should be able to get one since you are legitimately working in Thailand. They will require at least 6 months of you working at the same job.

• Like 1

I have credit cards with KBank and ABA (Cambodia). Both are secured cards or cards issued on the basis of blocked funds as a form of security or collateral. The funds are in THB and USD fixed deposit accounts respectively, locked and inaccessible for as long as the cards are active and in the cardholder's possession. My credit limit is 80% of the fixed deposit amount (KBank) and 90% for my ABA card. 

As for Thai banks issuing cards to foreigners on the basis of a creditworthiness assessment alone, they are probably quite strict and might start with a cautiously low CL to mitigate risks. I also have DKB and Lufthansa credit cards in Germany which are "real" credit cards or cards issued on the basis of credit scoring. I don't use my German cards for online transactions though and I use them sparingly in this part of the world because I am scared of fraud issues. Disputing spurious transactions can be a nightmare, especially because DKB is a branchless direct bank.

Edited by mvdf

7 hours ago, SheikYabodyline said:

Many Thai banks, if they will issue a credit card at all to foreigners, will only do so against a certain sum, stipulated by them, deposited in your account with them. Try offering to deposit and maintain a certain sum in your account with KTB. Failing that I can only suggest trying your luck with one of the big three, but without a track record with them on your part it's doubtful they will cooperate.

If you maintain a bank account and have a decent credit rating in your home country, you may find it easier applying there.

Good advice.

When I came to Thailand 9 years ago on a long tourist visa, I opened accounts at 3 Thai banks, just to be safe.  When I asked about getting credit cards, I was told I could not do so while I was on a tourist visa..  After my return to Australia I transferred money into these 3 banks accounts, enough to satisfy my getting a "retirement" visa the following year.

The following year I returned to Thailand on a Non Immigrant OA (retirement) visa.  I returned to the banks to apply for credit cards.  One bank said no, I was a farang; the 2 other banks told me to go to Bangkok head office to apply.  For these latter banks I supplied a copy of my Australian savings bank accounts and a copy of my fortnightly work income (I was at the time still employed in Australia, but on extended holiday pay).   In both cases, my application was refused.  No appeals possible.

So, to this day, I still have to use the 2 credit cards I obtained from my two banks in Australia.

You may have more luck if you are a wealthy farang business person, have a few million Baht in a Thai bank and know your bank manger well.

I can not understand this ongoing question about getting a credit card in Thailand. Thought most people knew they need to have the money to settle in another country. Besides that we have the reason, that it gives a chance to pay everything later or at the end of month. Who the heck want to pay more for something that you are able to buy cash?

I got a ttb (then tmb) credit card some years ago and use it all the time. It has cashback of 1%. I need to maintain 100000 deposit in a linked account. I was on a retirement visa at same time and had to declare condo ownership in case of default but no.problems with it.

Applying UOB credit card recently.

After some emails and calls, they sent their staff come to meet me to collect documents and let me sign some forms.

Was told need to carry out credit check at my originated country, will takes about 2 weeks...

Still waiting now... ????

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Calvin1976 said:

Applying UOB credit card recently.

After some emails and calls, they sent their staff come to meet me to collect documents and let me sign some forms.

Was told need to carry out credit check at my originated country, will takes about 2 weeks...

Still waiting now... ????

Did you not do any follow up with them?

7 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I've given up looking. The only real downside is that I can no longer rent a car back in the UK as they don't accept debit cards. 

This is the only reason I have a credit card..is to rent cars when traveling abroad.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Khomsan P said:

Yes I do hold a work permit and Non-B visa. Currently my job pays through KTB but I know their requirements are strict. Any help would be great!

KTB are extremely racist. I had to get a former finance minister to make them pay me interest. I had an account for many years and they just wouldn't give me a credit card. 33k a month is not enough anyway. 

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Is a CREDIT CARD, where you must cover the limit with money in your bank, not the same as a DEBIT CARD?

The only difference I can see is that with a Credit Card the money comes out at the end of the month if you do not pay it off then, whereas with a Debit Card it comes out immediately you use it.

As I see it, you put say Bht 100,000 in the bank to cover the C Card and cannot touch it unless you do not pay the balance when due. Then THEY touch it!

Surely the definition of CREDIT is using money which is NOT yours on which you pay interest.

The difference between debit and credit cards is that a debit card doesn't involve debt, whilst a credit card does. When I lived in Thailand I had an offshore account with Citibank in Singapore. If I wanted a credit card they would hold double the credit limit as surety.

11 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

The difference between debit and credit cards is that a debit card doesn't involve debt, whilst a credit card does. When I lived in Thailand I had an offshore account with Citibank in Singapore. If I wanted a credit card they would hold double the credit limit as surety.

Love your first sentence! and in UK I have three Credit Cards with no security whatsoever, credit limit over £20,000

19 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

You can pay for tickets with a debit card, which is easy to get.

Of course. A DEBIT card is merely an extension/facility of your Current account.

No money = no use it.

Edited by KannikaP

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Love your first sentence! and in UK I have three Credit Cards with no security whatsoever, credit limit over £20,000

I lived in Thailand for nearly 20 years. I had no bank account, no address, and no means of income in the UK. This meant that I had no credit rating (foreign bank accounts don't count towards a UK credit rating).

I'm guessing that you have a few of the things I mentioned? Or you held those cards before you moved to Thailand? Your circumstances would be different to mine.

(Also, because I had lived outside the UK for more than 5 years, and not insured a car anywhere, my car insurance cost 3 times more. One insurance company wouldn't offer insurance at all, because I had lived for more than 5 years outside the UK).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mal129 said:

Did KTB tell you that you cannot get a credit card? You should be able to get one since you are legitimately working in Thailand. They will require at least 6 months of you working at the same job.

actually its KTC that issues the credit cards for ktb. They require minimum 2 years work permit. Or put a deposit guarantee and the 2 year rule doesnt apply. 

You could consider citibank but they need you to show greater than 1 million savings for 6 months. 

59 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Of course. A DEBIT card is merely an extension/facility of your Current account.

No money = no use it.

That was what I was saying in my other comment. In many ways we have to jump through similar hoops to get a credit card in Thailand as we do in many other countries.

One thing with my latest Bangkok Bank debit card is that it's Union Pay (Chinese), not Visa or Mastercard. Many western banks ATM's don't accept Union Pay cards, although that's no longer an issue for me.

Edited by Andrew65

Try Citi … I got one last November

quite easily.

I have 160,000 limit and I don’t need to lock any money away. 

I, for years have had a BB Credit Card but needed to lock money away equal to my Credit Limit.

I am retired.

• Like 2

I too have a BB "BE 1st" Mastercard Debit card and purchase pretty much anything I need online like airline tickets, hotel rooms etc both locally and overseas. 

Only slight hassle is that BB usually send a OTP to your registered phone number before the transaction is approved. 

Might be a hassle if overseas and you change SIM cards !

4 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Only slight hassle is that BB usually send a OTP to your registered phone number before the transaction is approved

Nope 

OTP not required for my overseas transactions. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST