Tourists ignore Songkran water-fight ban on Bangkok’s Khaosan Road

webfact

54 minutes ago, Mrfox said:

So blame Walmart for selling guns to that dude who went western at the NYC subway? 

Who broke the law? 

So....

You think tourists come here to read the everchanging rules of the administration 4 times a day in the local media?

And when, as tourists, the arrive at KS and see revelling, water guns for sale and people having a water fight that they should know its an illegal activity?

And on your attempt at "bridging" to a US tragedy, yes I do blame the accessibility to lethal weapons in America as the much as the root cause as their divisive politics and the sheer math that theres so many of them (as a population) means some are going to being retarded in some way. Indeed of those 3 3 taking away the lethal weapons accessibility may be the only way to reduce more such incidences in the future.

• Like 1

Sukhumvit may be an exception. But I see a mask on the face of EVERY Thai, and rarely pulled down from nose. On the other hand, I see an awful lot of foreigners not wearing masks at all, both young & old.

It's basic disrespect. We've been living through this two years. Come to another country, behave properly. Wearing a mask is just so basic.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jonny on the spot said:

Police could have shut that down in 5 minutes, but nobody was going to pay them. If ever a country needed a reset its this one. Im actually sad i am so invested in this place, i never said that out loud in 15 years.

Sounds to me that you can file that into one of your bad decisions in life then. I sincerely hope you find a way to quickly solve your problems. I am saying bye bye already, as I trust you are a resourceful guy. ???? 

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

They're all had their vaccines, so what's the problem?

The trouble is that no vaccine protects you 100%.  You are still and unfortunately perfectly capable of infecting and being infected, even if the odds are less. And the further out the date of vaccination, the less they protect.

3 hours ago, swm59nj said:

It might be provided by locals.  But the tourists and expats are adults.  Well in age anyway.  These people should know better if they are responsible individuals.

Can you understand that having super soakers on sale in the wide open light of day may have confused them about what the rules are?  Not to mention hundreds of locals.  When in Rome...

In any case, I'm glad to see people out having fun and money being spent.   I was always a spectator in the water fights, but thoroughly enjoyed watching them and getting the occasional soaking.  Except that one night I was on my way to a dinner with the big boss from out of the country and a Euro cutie thought I was kidding when I asked her not to soak me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Seems to be an effort to highlight the presence of foreigners here...

Getting ready to blame foreigners for any Songkran related covid spikes?

I'd say never ascribe to conspiracy what you can just chalk up to xenophobia.  

• Like 1

From the text of the article:-

"A large number of locals and foreign tourists flocked to Bangkok’s Khaosan Road last night (Wednesday) to engage in Songkran water fights"

Yet the headline reads:- 

"Tourists ignore Songkran water-fight ban on Bangkok’s Khaosan Road"

So, how come the locals weren't mentioned in the headline? It implies that only tourists were ignoring the ban - naughty tourists again - nothing to do with the locals!

3 hours ago, Whale said:

So....

You think tourists come here to read the everchanging rules of the administration 4 times a day in the local media?

And when, as tourists, the arrive at KS and see revelling, water guns for sale and people having a water fight that they should know its an illegal activity?

And on your attempt at "bridging" to a US tragedy, yes I do blame the accessibility to lethal weapons in America as the much as the root cause as their divisive politics and the sheer math that theres so many of them (as a population) means some are going to being retarded in some way. Indeed of those 3 3 taking away the lethal weapons accessibility may be the only way to reduce more such incidences in the future.

It is the tourist responsibility to know the local customs and laws (you don't have to be lawyer) in the country you're visiting. For example, weed is legal in some states and Canada,try crossing into Malaysia and Indonesia with it,they hang you. 

Edited by Mrfox
Correct spelling

Excellent. Defy the franchisees with every ounce of your being. Water does not cause Covid. Sheer stupidity does, Anutin does, with his gross incompetence and highly selective policies, and stupid rules need to be ignored, ridiculed and pushed back against. 

Edited by spidermike007

23 minutes ago, sambum said:

So, how come the locals weren't mentioned in the headline? It implies that only tourists were ignoring the ban - naughty tourists again - nothing to do with the locals!

Why are you asking here? Ask the newspaper. 

14 minutes ago, Mrfox said:

It is the tourist responsibility to know the local customs and laws (you don't have to be lawyer) in the country you're visiting. For example, weed is legal in some states and Canada,try crossing into Malaysia and Indonesia with it,they hang you. 

I didn't know Malaysia was anywhere near Canada. 

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Excellent. Defy the franchisees with every ounce of your being. Water does not cause Covid. Sheer stupidity does, Anutin does, with his gross incompetence and highly selective policies, and stupid rules need to be ignored, ridiculed and pushed back against. 

Oh, stop it Mr Spider! Covid is a simple thing. What is deadly, is to read your comments. You, you just beat Anutin. Be proud!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Oh, stop it Mr Spider! Covid is a simple thing. What is deadly, is to read your comments. You, you just beat Anutin. Be proud!

"Covid is a simple thing."

So how come it's cost BILLIONS of dollars trying to stop its march?

• Like 1

So instead of pointing out that what they are doing is illegal, why not arrest the lot? Make an example of them, maybe offer a few lashes of the truncheon, and give them the strong message that foreigners are not welcome in Thailand. Especially if they come for fun and those darned traditional events that the country has promoted for years. If everyone is wary of the COVID pandemic rising (as they should) then why encourage tourism from countries that have proven they really don't care? Oh yes, money. 

Edited by Purdey
Spelling error

14 hours ago, gaucan said:

not abide?

yes sheep, did you put your face diaper on yet? did u make sure it's triple  layer face diaper? all good then. all safe now. maybe one day on your dead bed you might learn to think for yourself and make your own decisions for at least 1 minute in your life.

Yes, Karen, isn't there a McDonald's line up you should be standing in........sans mask, of course.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gaucan said:

not abide?

yes sheep, did you put your face diaper on yet? did u make sure it's triple  layer face diaper? all good then. all safe now. maybe one day on your dead bed you might learn to think for yourself and make your own decisions for at least 1 minute in your life.

Oh, you think for yourself because of all valuable information you get on the internet (YouTube) and semi-scientists who all know better. If you want to decide for yourself then you need to go living on an island all alone. As soon as there is one other person involved, you have to consider that other person too and not only think for yourself. What you call sheep, is people who decide to follow the rules which are in place for the larger group and not for you as an independent thinker. Oh, probably you are using common sense, right? 

I think the rules: distance, wearing a facemask (helpful or not), and all those minor things (temp. measuring, desinfectant) are just minor nuisances compared to the threat of being hospitalized for two weeks, even though the chance is not that big that it happens.

I'm not the one who decides what helps or not and certainly as an unqualified person, I don't go into discussions wether all those measures help or not. They don't bother me. I might have another opinion, but that's with many things. If I behaved according to my believe what is right or not, many things in other cases then Covid, would bring me into big trouble. But that's why we need those rules and be protected from those who think they are no sheep. Because they are the dumbasses that make things worse. Not the sheep.

Edited by Thaijack2014
spelling

14 hours ago, jonny on the spot said:

Im actually sad i am so invested in this place, i never said that out loud in 15 years.

I don't regret my past one iota but I definitely know where you are coming from. I started voicing my disillusionment a couple of years ago for the first time. It's getting insane on many levels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaijack2014 said:

What you call sheep, is people who decide to follow the rules which are in place for the larger group and not for you as an independent thinker. Oh, probably you are using common sense, right? 

The larger group being those who own and control everything?

• Like 2