Villagers of Bang Bo District suffer unregulated hazardous electricity poles

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Yesterday I had a partial outage? (Bang Lamuung Pattaya.)  Everything went down to half speed: fans/aircon yet TVs still worked.  I didn't know this was possible; surely it's on OR off?

Far from it. Had many instances of reduced voltage at the house. Interesting how some things work and others don't.... it is because they have wide range power supplies...ie can work off 110-240vAC. Some of my lights are on, some off...sadly my fridge seems to pack in and my gate won't open!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Far from it. Had many instances of reduced voltage at the house. Interesting how some things work and others don't.... it is because they have wide range power supplies...ie can work off 110-240vAC. Some of my lights are on, some off...sadly my fridge seems to pack in and my gate won't open!

Thank you - I live and learn (with your help.)

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thank you - I live and learn (with your help.)

That's correct what jacko said.  I had a "Smart TV" that died, it ended up being the power supply.  I read the specs on the defective power supply; it has a 78 to 240 AC input with 24 DC output.  So the power supply is actually an AC/DC converter.  The TV itself is fully powered by the 24 VDC.  My guess is it's to make a one size fits all for international export.

• Like 2

Yesterday I had a partial outage? (Bang Lamuung Pattaya.)  Everything went down to half speed: fans/aircon yet TVs still worked.  I didn't know this was possible; surely it's on OR off?

Probably not good for your appliances.

But what the heck if you are just renting.

Same here, living off Soi 5 Khaotalo East Patt.

Power only 1/2 work. 

I think they call it "brown power". 

Eventually power totally went off 1.5 hours.

Been living this house near on 10 years and is a regular occurrence.

The neighbours experience the same.

A  "Blackout" is when you lose all power.

A "Brownout" is when the voltage drops & depending on the drop, causes some appliances to stop & others to work, albeit in a reduced capacity. Depending on the appliance electronics, voltage fluctuations can have a negligible, minor or major (the unit dies) outcome.

Thailand & many other countries have both. Rural districts are probably more affected by Brownouts - but I have no irrefutable evidence of this statement.

Sorry, should include amperage drop as well. I'm no electrician, but I think that amperage fluctuations will harm appliances more than voltage fluctuations - but who knows what you get in Thailand?

Voltage and amperage are two measures of electrical current or flow of electrons. Voltage is a measure of the pressure that allows electrons to flow, while amperage is a measure of the volume of electrons. An electrical current at 1,000 volts is no more deadly than a current at 100 volts, but tiny changes in amperage can mean the difference between life and death when a person receives an electrical shock. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mania said:

What always amazes me is when I would see workers with their bamboo ladders propped against this rat nest & fixing/doing something. I mean how would you know what wire does what goes where? 555 TIT baby TIT

22.jpg

Because that is their job. PEA doesn't go around disconnecting peoples internet?

On 4/15/2022 at 8:08 PM, snoop1130 said:

their main complaint was that the wires dangling from the poles constitute a grave danger for passerby people and drivers driving on the roads.

This seems to be more about potential decapitation than black/brown-outs?

Every couple of weeks there are security cam videos of a motorbike driver being magically dismounted. Most seem to bounce up.

There are a few low-hanging FO cables in my neighborhood.

Common situation:  three-wire highline (perhaps 20k volts) comes into your mooban. A transformer takes those three high voltage lines and produces three 240 volt lines for distribution among the homes. Some customers will take just one line (aka "phase") and some will take all three of the available phases.

Here's the strange part: somewhere outside your immediate area, one of the high-line wires breaks or for whatever reason pops its fuse. Now your transformer is only receiving power on 2 of its 3 inputs.

Since I'm not an engineer, I cannot explain why, but the result will be:

1 output phase dead   -  no big deal

1 output phase okay   -  lucky you if you are served by that feed

1 output phase delivers something between 70 and 140 volts 

-  this is the bad one. Different devices respond differently but in

general you can expect some damage. If you are home and notice the dim lights, you should turn off the main breaker. If you have 3-phase service then one of the three will still be okay but my advice would be to kill the main breaker anyway. 

• Thanks 1

a big part of the brown outs is due to the electricity companies attempt to save as much money as possible by not having as many transformers as they should. We complained to them that we were constantly losing power, they did nothing, I went looking for the closest transformer, none within 1 klm yet there are 6 houses within 200 meters of us with another 20 or so a bit further away, when we asked why there was no transformer close by  they said if we wanted one we had to pay for it  ourselves then all the other houses would benefit as well but not have to pay, only us. Unfortunately this is how it works here, its all about profits, the less you have to spend on equipment and maintenance the more profit you make, until us and a few neighbors built our houses here the wires to our area were slung through tree branches, we had to pay for them to errect power poles

• Sad 1

On 4/16/2022 at 7:45 AM, mikebell said:

It is called a brown out. I'll let you google it.

Where I live my neighbours run there leky  from the 'main' road some are only neck high, when we told PEA my wife said i'll send you photos, "No DON"T take Photos ! " was their reply. I live with it as I don't want to fall out with my neighbours. PS our small soi is a government road. But here is photo anyway.IMG_20220417_113003.thumb.jpg.5aee1396f0e14976821667ae41203485.jpg

Edited by brianthainess