Vote for the UK government to index link pensions in Thailand

webfact

47 minutes ago, baansgr said:

It's been like this for 70 years and will never change

Its very unfair if you paid in all those years not to get the rises,but if you ever see pictures of retiries in the papers ,its always a " young looking" couple running on the beach  far from the truth for most 

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2022 at 2:21 AM, webfact said:

So far over 8,500 viewed the post and the petition has risen to over 9,500 votes. If we can reach 10,000 signatures by May 29th then the government must respond to this petition.

I support this and signed a few weeks ago when this thread was brought up but "At 10,000 signatures the government will respond".  means nothing apart from maybe "Thanks, your petition is acknowledged".

It's the 100,000 signature mark that counts, only at that stage will the petition be debated in parliament.  

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I support this and signed a few weeks ago when this thread was brought up but "At 10,000 signatures the government will respond".  means nothing apart from maybe "Thanks, your petition is acknowledged".

It's the 100,000 signature mark that counts, only at that stage will the petition be debated in parliament.  

Debated? Yes by the 3 mps who attend

13 hours ago, Tony125 said:

this post has been up for a few months now, there aren't 10,000 Brits here in Thailand to sign the petition? Don't see why anybody eligible wouldn't sign it. I figured you would have had enough after 2 months.

Contrary to so many members' assumptions that Asean Now is the most talked about, well-reputed place on the internet, it isn't.   There are relatively few people who are Asean Now members, or who are even aware of its existence, so the petition's impact here really will be insignificant (as much as I support it and the OP and have signed it).   100,000 signatures are required before it would even be debated in parliament.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The problem is those that have not told the UK government they are living here, probably wouldn't want to sign a petition for fear of being exposed.   

They wouldn't sign because there would be no point, they're getting the increases!       

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

When you're in Thailand, do you pay taxes there on earnings or income made in the UK?

When I was working here in Thailand in 1994 to 97, yes I did pay Thai tax on part of my salary as well as paying UK tax on the rest, although i the truth be known it was the UK company that sorted it out.

Edited by billd766
Bad spelling

13 hours ago, DefaultName said:

It's deducted.  Also, all your taxable income is added together for tax.  Normally, State Pension won't be taxed, but the tax due on it will be taken by lowering your tax cade that's applied to those other sources.

AFAIK your state pension (unless it is more that your personal allowance) IS tax free.

The Tax Office then totals up your remaining combined pensions, subtracts the remainder of your personal allowance from the balance and you pay 20% (I think) on what is left.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

But most retired guys living here,live in the UK dont they?????

Not the 20 to 30 guys I know personally. They all live in Thailand. They might be using a UK address, but apart from bluntly asking them that question I wouldn't know,

38 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Contrary to so many members' assumptions that Asean Now is the most talked about, well-reputed place on the internet, it isn't.   There are relatively few people who are Asean Now members, or who are even aware of its existence, so the petition's impact here really will be insignificant (as much as I support it and the OP and have signed it).   100,000 signatures are required before it would even be debated in parliament.

I think I have signed 3 of these petitions this year.

None made it to the required 100k mark.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

We are a tiny minority with no sympathy or support from our fellow citizens in the UK, and the government has no need to take any notice of us.

No sympathy from me either, you shouldn't have told them where you were.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I only told them I was here because I didn't think it fair to use my daughter's address in the UK, I have no idea if there is a penalty for lying about where you live. Either on you or the alleged address, anyone know ?

no penalty.

• Like 1

I only told them I was here because I didn't think it fair to use my daughter's address in the UK, I have no idea if there is a penalty for lying about where you live. Either on you or the alleged address, anyone know ?

You are supposed to tell pensions near every move you make regarding your state pension, they call it a benifit, even if you go in hospital, it may have an effect on payment..

If you live permanently away from the UK in LOS then it means no upgrades, you can to and frow, but you are supposed to tell them the dates, so they may alter payments.

But many folk do chance it to get the extra cash, that's up to you, personally I didn't use family or friends address just in case..????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are required to inform the HMRC if you intend to live abroad permanently using a "form P85".

If you don't and claim benefits, say, or pension increases, you may well be in trouble.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Thanks, too late now though ????

I know of a couple that got caught, one it cost him a 1000 quid fine.

A friend of mine fiddles it, he said if I get caught I have a house in the UK to sell, the funny thing is, he has a passport full of Thai retirement visa's..????..

poirot.jpg.4d10335ec36f97386641a0e6c5d79512.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

You are supposed to tell pensions near every move you make regarding your state pension, they call it a benifit, even if you go in hospital, it may have an effect on payment..

If you live permanently away from the UK in LOS then it means no upgrades, you can to and frow, but you are supposed to tell them the dates, so they may alter payments.

But many folk do chance it to get the extra cash, that's up to you, personally I didn't use family or friends address just in case..????

Yes, I did read from somewhere a while ago that if you go into hospital and stay for however long then they will stop your pension for that duration, it looks to me as though the state pension rules & regulations are in dire need of a modern day update.