Swimming coach allegedly involved in minor sex trafficking for his 78-year-old foreign stepfather arrested in Phuket

webfact

S__28140270-696x522.jpg

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Phuket – Thalang Police arrested a 32-year-old swimming coach for allegedly luring minors into sexual abuse with his foreign stepfather.

Yesterday, April 17th, Lt. Gen. Surachet Hakpal and other relevant officials interrogated Nikki (a pseudonym), 32, who was under an arrest warrant issued by the Phuket court for allegedly illegally being involved in and human trafficking of underage children for sexual activities. He was captured at his house in the Khok Kloi sub-district, Takua Thung district, Phang Nga, and awaited further legal proceedings at the Thalang police station.

According to officer Surachet, more commonly known by his nickname Big Joke, Nikki was the stepson of John David Ross Young, a 78-year-old expat, who resided in Pa Khlok sub-district, Thalang, Phuket, for 10 years. He was a former real estate operator relocating to Phuket to continue his business of selling and buying land and pool villas in 2012, but he no longer worked at present. John had two sons with his wife (deceased), but they currently lived in New Zealand, so he lived alone at his house in Phuket.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Officer Surachet claimed that police had been nudged from concerned citizens about child indecency activities which was linked to John since 2020, but when they came to investigate, the villagers denied cooperation because John often acted as a donor who regularly provided financial assistance to them.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/18/swimming-coach-allegedly-involved-in-minor-sex-trafficking-for-his-78-year-old-foreign-stepfather-arrested-in-phuket/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-04-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1

I am confused.

The Son in Law allegedly  did this for his farang father in law.

However the FIL, apart from a brief mention has disappeared from the picture. Is he still living in Thailand or is he in NZ?

Has he been arrested and set free on bail having surrendered his passport as a possible flight risk?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

1 hour ago, webfact said:

he lived alone at his house in Phuket.

he lived alone at his house in Phuket

But lived is the past tense.

Should it have read "he lives alone at his house in Phuket" meaning that he still lives there or,

"he lived alone at his house in Phuket", meaning that he used to live there but does not live there currently.

Edited by billd766
Bold and underlined by me.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

but when they came to investigate, the villagers denied cooperation because John often acted as a donor who regularly provided financial assistance to them.

Also known as the Jimmy Savile method....hiding your crimes behind a front of 'good deeds'...

Or it could simply be the locals didn't want to rock the boat and lose their income stream, despite their misgivings.

If the latter, utterly disgraceful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

FIL, apart from a brief mention has disappeared from the picture. Is he still living in Thailand or is he in NZ?

Has he been arrested and set free on bail having surrendered his passport as a possible flight risk?

He's in custody, see the link.

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He's in custody, see the link.

If convicted I hope they seize the assets of the older man for recompense of the abuse victims, also that the swimming coach never gets to work children ever again. Him supplying kids in his care is great breach of trust, and I hope he is never allowed near children even his own ever again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

If convicted I hope they seize the assets of the older man for recompense of the abuse victims

Pointless hoping for things that cannot happen unless he is successfully sued.   Assets are not automatically available to be seized for criminal convictions...in any country, including yours.

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Pointless hoping for things that cannot happen unless he is successfully sued.   Assets are not automatically available to be seized for criminal convictions...in any country, including yours.

It can occur in some jurisdictions by court order without  a civil suit

Australia being one

Edited by RJRS1301

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am confused.

The Son in Law allegedly  did this for his farang father in law.

However the FIL, apart from a brief mention has disappeared from the picture. Is he still living in Thailand or is he in NZ?

Nope.

The arrested one id the stepson of the old bloke, not his son-in-law. His mother married the old creep.

49 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Also known as the Jimmy Savile method....hiding your crimes behind a front of 'good deeds'...

Or it could simply be the locals didn't want to rock the boat and lose their income stream, despite their misgivings.

Savile actually used both these methods.  People in the system knew all about it but didn't do anything because they feared the consequences, while the public never suspected a thing because he had carefully crafted his "whacky eccentric with a heart of gold" image.

35 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:
40 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It can occur in some jurisdictions by court order without  a civil suit

Australia being one

If you say so, but this is Thailand.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Nope.

The arrested one id the stepson of the old bloke, not his son-in-law. His mother married the old creep.

Wrong.   He is an adopted son, the father is a widower, his deceased wife a New Zealand national.    There are natural adult children living in New Zealand.   I must admit to harbouring some suspicions when stories such as this emerge, elderly Falang accused of abusing children, and wonder if this isn't a ploy to seize his assets.   I'm not saying that is the case, but it just wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Wrong.   He is an adopted son, the father is a widower, his deceased wife a New Zealand national.    There are natural adult children living in New Zealand.   I must admit to harbouring some suspicions when stories such as this emerge, elderly Falang accused of abusing children, and wonder if this isn't a ploy to seize his assets.   I'm not saying that is the case, but it just wouldn't surprise me.

Yes, I was wrong, but misled by the article. A glance at the Phuket News shows a few other details missing like he was British and had been in Thailand since 1999. The adopted son did a Ghislane Maxwell type job of procurement.

3 hours ago, BusyB said:

There's also frequently no logical flow to a story, no story 'arc'. Makes the punter have to dig for the info.

Can be quite frustrating sometimes ...

Just like a Thai talking to you in English - sounds kind of familiar, but it doesn't make any sense.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, aussienam said:

"the villagers denied cooperation because John often acted as a donor who regularly provided financial assistance to them."

Wow.  So money ????   overrides stopping a dirty pedophile raping kids.  Disgraceful mindsets.  

I fear in Thailand, like many other countries, money overrides everything else, even the innocence of the children. Terribly sad.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Savile actually used both these methods.  People in the system knew all about it but didn't do anything because they feared the consequences, while the public never suspected a thing because he had carefully crafted his "whacky eccentric with a heart of gold" image.

Similar to MP Cyril Smith who got to the end of his life, without prosecution or any sort of justice for his victims, most of whom were vulnerable boys in the care of Rochdale social services. Many MPs knew, such as fellow Liberal MP David Steele but he shamefully, kept quiet as did many others. Clegg even gave a eulogy at the fat old paedophile's funeral astonishingly. 

• Thanks 1