Living in Thailand before 50

Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered, i trawled through the forum but couldn't find anything directly related..............

I had planned to relocate to Thailand from the UK when i reached 50 and go down the 'Retirement' visa route but could be looking to make the move a year or two early, what visa options are there before 50 for long term stay other than the Visa Elite which seems quite expensive? 

I don't plan to work so working visa is out, i have a long term Thai partner although not married (yet), so marriage visa is out (at the moment). I always hear about people living in Thailand long term much younger than 50 but never know how they navigate the visa rules.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

• Like 1

Others will have more knowledgeable replies, but here is my view, after scanning the TV Forum over decades:

At some point in this century, Immo started to tighten scrutiny of single, non-retired ex-pats who were trying to live in Thailand as residents, but without the proper visa or permit to extend their stay.

Some people were doing visa runs to neighboring countries and coming back in on visa-exempt entries. They had to do this every 90 days or so.

Others were staying on with "education" visa extensions in collaboration with 'sympathetic' schools who facilitated the extension process for a fee.

Then there are the Covid extensions, which are probably coming to an end this year, and only for tourists who were trapped here.

I am sure there wer/are many other work-arounds that are much more affordable than the Elite Visa, but those loop holes have been closing over time.

In sum, in your case, can't you get by with legitimate tourist visas and returns to your passport country until you can qualify for the relatively-simple retirement extension?  (Finances permitting  - but retirement in a foreign country should never be cheap.)

• Like 1

I was in a similar situation and used an METV for a few years before i reached 50. About 6-9 months in Thailand then back to UK to get another METV, there is risk immigration will deny entry once they check your passport but they never did with me.

If METVs aren't available yet it's likely they will be when covid 19 regs are dropped

1 hour ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

So it sounds like you're planning to get married. This is probably going to be the easiest route, and from your forum nom-de-plume, you're willing to take that risk just to stay here.

Exactly what I did .. went through countless visa exempt border runs, 2 month visas, burnt through a couple of passports, did some painful teaching gigs to get WP and extensions. - I had been living with my then-gf for 8 years by then, so we just decided to do it, it was (financially) beneficial to both of us, but we now miss a decent curry and tandoori chicken from the Penang border runs.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, EscapetheUK said:

I don't plan to work so working visa is out, i have a long term Thai partner although not married (yet), so marriage visa is out (at the moment). I always hear about people living in Thailand long term much younger than 50 but never know how they navigate the visa rules.

I lived in US 2 months + Thailand 10 months for 15 years on tourist visas but that's basically over now, especially after COVID. I think you can scam visas for schooling etc... but that only last a couple years I think (correct me if I'm wrong).

If I were to start again now my advice would be to find a plan to make the 1 million baht for the elite visa every 5 years until age 50. If that's impossible then I would get married and weigh the fallout from that against not living in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A 5 year Thai Elite visa is available now for 600k baht not one million.

For one million baht a 20 year membership is now available.

OP: there you go. Figure out how to get 1 million baht and forget about immigration struggles for 20 years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

OP: there you go. Figure out how to get 1 million baht and forget about immigration struggles for 20 years.

Seems the OP is late 40,s.

PE visa great option for someone younger. 

There are options to cover next couple of years and then use non O retirement with annual extensions ongoing.

Yes requires 800k in bank (easiest method) and 1900baht per extension. 

Fairly painless. 

Those with elite visa still need to attend immigration if in Thailand longer than 12 months and 90 reports. 

PE great option but imo not necessary for someone 48yr. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Are you sure about that? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't these Elite Visa holders still not have to do the prisoner on parole impersonations and report every 90 days?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Are you sure about that? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't these Elite Visa holders still not have to do the prisoner on parole impersonations and report every 90 days?

LOL, yeah no one escapes the eye of Sauron, man women or child.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

in that case just ride out multiple entry tourist visas if he's employed, otherwise 600k may be the least hassle if he's well funded and looking to escape.

I suggested METV along with bit of time in nearby country (eg Vietnam) and even visa exempt border entries and he could easily stay in Thailand over next couple of years.

Followed by non O retirement and annual extensions.

• Like 1