Purpose in life

46 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Joe was way too soft on him. He's playing to an aggrieved Red Pill, faux-independent demo and is as bound up by that as a liberal host on MSNBC.

Rogan just kind of chameleons into being a little bit like the guest of each show.  It's a pretty good tactic as he gets some good results.

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Watch it. Great speech. I can see why he is popular. He talks real stuff. Not hype stuff like Anthony Robbins.

That's the thing, he's not a motivational speaker, he's just a very interesting person who knows how to get a good discussion going.  Obviously this is a montage of things that have just popped out when he does his pod-cast.  Guests will typically say some very interesting things as well, giving some decent insight into their lives.

Most successful people can give some good advice, if they worked for what they have.  Or they can at least tell an interesting story that makes you think.

I suppose the motivation, in a case like this, comes from the fact that this is a person who has set a goal and then found a way to apply themselves to achieve it.  It doesn't necessarily have to be a celebrity, it's just we here from people like this through the media and they have achieved something that many want to achieve.

He's def not a motivational speaker if he smokes pot a lot on his show. That's the opposite of a motivational speaker.  That's a Chocolate teapot award-level motivational strategy.

Disclosure: I prefer pot to motivation.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

It has nothing to do with Rogan.  When you listen to something like this, you should only be focused on yourself.  Take away what you think might help you be a better person, ignore the rest.

Rogan was probably a good athlete.  I don't think he's funny at all as a stand-up.  He is a good presenter and conversationalist.  Maybe he's made it simply because he looks and sounds right.  Maybe he had the guts to try.

He is obviously successful in multiple areas.  Made himself do things that are hard.  Could mostly be natural talent, just his personality.  Or he might have a work ethic or a sense of discipline that helped.

Maybe he has something of value to say. ????‍♂️

It's only 11 minutes.

When somebody shows you their true colors, believe them the first time.

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Maybe he has something of value to say. ????‍♂️  ...  It's only 11 minutes.

Not big on podcasts, and have yet to finish one on subject that actually interest me.  The title is a turn off.  11 minutes is way to long.

Can't identify.  On my worst days, never thought I was a loser.

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Can't identify.  On my worst days, never thought I was a loser.

Well, if you look at Rogan's life, he doesn't appear to have actually been a loser at any point.  The fact of Rogan being or not being a loser, or feeling like a loser, is not the subject of the video, it's more about motivation and discipline.

You don't need to be a loser, or feel like a loser, to learn something from another person who is talking about their attitude to hard work and how they felt it led to their success.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

it's more about motivation and discipline.

Even more irrelevant ... I'm 67 & retired.  Did that fairly early & healthy, so not sure if I need any more motivation or discipline.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Even more irrelevant ... I'm 67 & retired.  Did that fairly early & healthy, so not sure if I need any more motivation or discipline.

There is no aspect of your life that could benefit from more motivation or discipline?  Diet is perfect?  Perfect physical fitness for your age?  Intellectually maxed out?  Pillar of the community?

Maybe you should be making videos to help motivate others.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

There is no aspect of your life that could benefit from more motivation or discipline?  Diet is perfect?  Perfect physical fitness for your age?  Intellectually maxed out?  Pillar of the community?

You're never intellectually maxed out, but aside from that, I'm pretty darn happy, and seem to be able to figure things out for myself.  Learned all I really needed decades ago, either from great advice, or trial & error.

Motivate others, nah, can't be bothered, and sounds like work.   Wife & daughter seem to have paid attention to my advice & opinions, and that's all that matter to me.

If people feel the need and gain something for listening to other people, good for them.   My time is too valuable at this point to bother, besides, I simply don't need.

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Well, if you look at Rogan's life, he doesn't appear to have actually been a loser at any point.  The fact of Rogan being or not being a loser, or feeling like a loser, is not the subject of the video, it's more about motivation and discipline.

You don't need to be a loser, or feel like a loser, to learn something from another person who is talking about their attitude to hard work and how they felt it led to their success.

Then why the 'clickbait' title ... never mind, I know.  Clicks are more important than helping anyone.

Is he wiping a tear ... please ... I'm not that gullible.  I don't care about some millionaire's plight in life when I'm already retired & happy. 

I was smart enough to be the dumbest person in the room when younger.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I could have done with a little more information on family court in the UK when I was 20.

If I'd known the reality I would never have married, cohabited or impregnated in the UK.

But they've always been secretive, and nobody told.

Apart from that nothing, always had motivation and self discipline.

Diet is a crock, if you get enough exercise you can eat anything.

Intellectually, I've always had far more than would give me a happy life.

Pillar of the community, gets you nothing as a man, just a waste of your time and effort.

Why would I want to do anything to help others?

Nobody has ever managed to explain that foolishness to me?

Did it ever get anyone a bigger house or more attractive woman?

Just more Abrahamic nonsense to keep the proletariat submissive.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Then why the 'clickbait' title ... never mind, I know.  Clicks are more important than helping anyone.

Is he wiping a tear ... please ... I'm not that gullible.  I don't care about some millionaire's plight in life when I'm already retired & happy. 

He felt like a loser as a kid.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I could have done with a little more information on family court in the UK when I was 20.

If I'd known the reality I would never have married, cohabited or impregnated in the UK.

Apart from that nothing, always had motivation and self discipline.

Diet is a crock, if you get enough exercise you can eat anything.

Intellectually, I've always had far more than would give me a happy life.

Pillar of the community, gets you nothing as a man, just a waste of your time and effort.

Diet far more important than exercise. Lots of exercise is bad for you. Strains all your joints.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Do someone a favour they do you one.

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I was commenting on the video and the ability to learn from it and others like it, not the thumbnail or title.

Most videos on YouTube are presented in such a way.  You get used to it.  The trick is to be open minded enough to not fall for <deleted> while not being put off by the clickbaity nature of the platform.

You can click a video and then press the back button if it's of no value.

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And I don't believe that you are beyond learning things now.

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I was commenting on the video and the ability to learn from it and others like it, not the thumbnail or title.

Most videos on YouTube are presented in such a way.  You get used to it.  The trick is to be open minded enough to not fall for <deleted> while not being put off by the clickbaity nature of the platform.

You can click a video and then press the back button if it's of no value.

The day you stop learning is the day you start dying

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There's actually a lot on this now online.  Many men are a lot more wary about marriage than they used to be, in UK/US at least.

I think a lot of people get something out of it.  Even if it's as simple as if you treat other people well, they do the same for you, or if you make a contribution towards the community and see it flourish as a result, you may get a sense of pride or accomplishment.

Perhaps your life experiences mean that you don't get that feeling from helping your community.  That's fine, of course, you cannot help that.

What about helping rabbits?  What does that get you?  Maybe some people feel about other people the way that you feel about rabbits.  (I think that's you.)

Of course, everyone is free to live as they choose, and not everyone gets the same feelings/rewards from certain activities.

What about the golden rule: "do unto others as you would have done to you..."  Does that mean anything to you?  You want to be left alone and want others to leave you alone?

34 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Of course, everyone is free to live as they choose, and not everyone gets the same feelings/rewards from certain activities.

Almost nobody gets to live as they choose.

Normally you have some minor choices between different unsatisfactory paths.

I would never have chosen to work for 40 years, if I'd been given a free choice.

If I could go back in time, knowing then what I know now, I'd probably have chosen to be a violent and abusive drug dealer living on a council estate, and banging an assortment of local druggy sluts.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would never have chosen to work for 40 years, if I'd been given a free choice.

If I could go back in time, knowing then what I know now, I'd probably have chosen to be a violent and abusive drug dealer living on a council estate, and banging an assortment of local druggy sluts.

You would be dead or in jail.

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If I could Choose, I would had a timber hut somewhere in Canada, hunting and fishing, and a private airplane standing ready to take me anywhere anytime. But I guess if I had that kind of fortune, I would had done something completely different and been bored as Im now. It is a struggle to make life interesting sometimes, but the dream about something different and better continue to feed the drive to make life better for me and mine. 

Life is not perfect, but it is my life and life is good, the problem is not me, but the world we are living in. So deleted and hard to to not be affected by it, and be reminded every day by media, especial social media brought the worst negativity to the surface. Not to forget the perfect life and the continuous reminders of fake life and lifestyles, that we forget what is truly a good life. 

A  decent secured life with good healthy food, a good place to live and people you care for who also care for you. 

Discipline is the key to everything and the will to adopt to difficult times as it goes up and down around you. . 

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Agree, never maxed out.  As mentored many moons ago, "if you think you are done learning, then you are done"  ...  done as in, not longer progressing forward.

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

If I could choose $50m in bank. Move around live anywhere.

Most rich people I know, continue to work as long they got the health to do so, to preserve what they have. Easy come easy go comes to mind, which cover many scenarios in life not only money

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Most rich people I know, continue to work as long they got the health to do so, to preserve what they have. Easy come easy go comes to mind, which cover many scenarios in life not only money

True. Mental thing. You could trade shares from anywhere though.