Need to transfer large amount of USD to Thailand ,

In May I will be buying a vehicle in Thailand and need to transfer 13,000 USD dollars to Thailand. My bank in the states will only do international wire transfer If I go into the branch in the states.  Not wanting to fly all the to the states , my thought is to transfer the to Bangkok Bank in New York City, which I can do online, then could I transfer the funds to my local Bangkok Branch in Thailand where I have a account ?  

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

When you successfully wire funds into the NY Branch of Bangkok Bank, the funds are immediately visible and available in your Bangkok Bank account. There is no need for further action.

NOTE You may be thinking of using ACH for the transfer. Don't. Unless your bank specifically supports the "international version" of ACH (known as IAT), which few do, the transfer will fail. Use a wire.

Edited by timendres
  • Like 2

I'm under the impression that you can not transfer more than $9,999 per month from the states so just do it twice. (better hurry though, Biden and company are trying to lower that to $600) As for BKK bank in NYC, money sent using their routing number and your account number automatically goes into your account as THB (unless you have a foreign currency account)

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, timendres said:

When you successfully wire funds into the NY Branch of Bangkok Bank, the funds are immediately visible and available in your Bangkok Bank account. There is no need for further action.

Ninja'd ????‍♂️

1 minute ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I'm under the impression that you can not transfer more than $9,999 per month from the states so just do it twice. (better hurry though, Biden and company are trying to lower that to $600) As for BKK bank in NYC, money sent using their routing number and your account number automatically goes into your account as THB (unless you have a foreign currency account)

Can transfer quite a bit.  I did $200k USD once, no problem, though they may ask why, which they didn't in my case.  Also carried large amount, just have to declare it, >10k.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Can transfer quite a bit.  I did $200k USD once, no problem, though they may ask why, which they didn't in my case.  Also carried large amount, just have to declare it, >10k.

quite possible the 10 grand rule is person to person and doesn't apply for self to self.

23 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

I think Wise is so popular because they don't play any hide-the-fee games.

And the speed of the transfer. When I press the button to begin the transfer in less than 5 seconds I get a sms from Bangkok bank saying the money has been received. Been very happy with Wise.

Who can do a FAST transfer to Thailand bank

My problem is my wife and I are buying a new Isuzu VCross in Phetchabun and I need to transfer about 400-500KB (16-20K AUD$)

When I first arrived in Thailand on 6th I used Western Union to transfer $10K at the fabulous rate of 25.2 B/$ (now 24.5 or so)

I had sent $5K a few times and $10K last month with WU to my wife's BKK bank over the last few months as we are building a house here.

I was totally flabbergasted when after a few calls from WU to check I was the sender, their stupid legal compliance person decided that this $10K was suspect.

She nastily CANCELLED the transaction for a "full refund" in 5-7 business days.

Fine you say but as of today 20th I still have not received my refund.

DO NOT USE WESTERN UNION they have a ridiculous attitude and now someone has my money for nearly two weeks BUT NOT ME!

So my real question is who can do a FAST transfer -

I have additional funds available tomorrow - and need the fastest transfer

hopefully same or next day for the funds from Australian bank to Thailand bank

Fees not critical just speed so we can collect the car which has been ready since yesterday.

I thought about ATM withdrawals - in Bangkok I can use Citibank fee free and ATMs let me have at least 50K Baht - but I am 4-5 hours drive from Bangkok

I have 3 debit cards with $3,000 daily limit so if I go at 8:30pm I can get $9K and then at 9PM (midnight in Oz) I can get another $9k

But I will pay 220 Baht per 25,000 withdrawn - seems to be the ATM max although I have seen 30KB on some (Macro?)

So 400KBaht would cost 16x220 = 3520B or about $145 - nice little earner for the banks here!!!

I repeat DO NOT USE WESTERN UNION their policies and attitude SUCK

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hereforgood said:

And the speed of the transfer. When I press the button to begin the transfer in less than 5 seconds I get a sms from Bangkok bank saying the money has been received. Been very happy with Wise.

With WISE?

Which bank from and to Thai bank?

Was it send to self or another person?

Seriously 5 seconds?

9 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

You could not be more wrong.

You are confused about the need to report bank withdrawals/transfers of $10K or more (which has been in effect for decades). I have never had any problem withdrawing or transferring quite substantial amounts. Banks may ask the purpose, which can be as simple as 'for personal use'. I've paid cash for some non-US properties I have bought, and had zero problem transferring seven figure amounts. The only way anyone might have a problem is if your tax returns never indicated the sort of income that is in any of your bank accounts.

By the way, it is best to use an FX broker when transferring, as they give the best rate. The higher the amount transferred, the tighter their spread. If one does not use a broker, the best rate offered by Thai banks seems to be Bangkok Bank.

As for your "Biden is going to lower it to $600"......No.

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

By pass NY branch, and simply wire to your local account, if not going the Wise route directly to your account.

his problem is that his bank does to allow him to do this online. And he is out of the country.

You need to go to the branch personally for such a transfer? That's daft. Maybe you can do it online if you split the amount in two. It will cost you a bit more in fees. In the EU we keep the amounts under say 12k euros so as not to have to declare the transfer first to regulators.

6 hours ago, asiacurious said:

RIght - no fees.  But then their exchange rate isn't as good.  Just now I did a "what if I transfer 1,000 USD" and . . .

- Wise will give me 33,522.84 THB

- Ria will give me 33,056.60 THB

But do you?  There are clearly stated fees up front, and then there are hidden fees that are never stated.  I think Wise is so popular because they don't play any hide-the-fee games.

image.thumb.png.aee22144f5d0e036f423ce3423ee96a9.png

Exactly. Never heard WISE getting beat for Lowest Cost / Transparency / Speed / Reliability. 

• Like 1

So what's your problem  as it is not clear form your post ? US $ 13,000 is not a large amount and as it will be BBK ( US ) to BBK ( TH) that will be no problem. By the way do not transfer 13,000 in US dollars, convert first and transfer in THB for a better rate

Edited by Excel
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1