Is there age limit for Non-O Thai Spouse 1-year extension?

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

If you are retired immigration would rather you did retirement as it's less paperwork for them.

Whether you are "retired" or not has nothing to do with it. If you are over 50, you are eligible for a retirement visa regardless.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your answers. I'm currently on Thai spouse extension with eligibility of 400K in bank. If I go for retired Visa, won't I need 800K instead? Going back to my original question, so I could renew/reapply for Marriage Extension every year without limit (as long as our marriage still valid)?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, bluecolour said:

Going back to my original question, so I could renew/reapply for Marriage Extension every year without limit (as long as our marriage still valid)?

Yes.

No problem at all. 

Just choose your method either income method of money in bank method.

IMO funds in bank is simple easy option. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluecolour said:

Going back to my original question, so I could renew/reapply for Marriage Extension every year without limit (as long as our marriage still valid)?

Yes. No problem. That is what it is there for. Family memer of a Thai National.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was told by my local immigration branch several years ago that because here was more work for them in a marriage extension, they will not do marriage extensions for farangs over 50. You therefore had to apply for a retired long stay extension in certain immigration districts if you are over 50.  Regardless of the inconvenience of different financial rules for you.  Not sure if this has changed now.  That was in Sri Racha office, Chonburi.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

I was told by my local immigration branch several years ago that because here was more work for them in a marriage extension, they will not do marriage extensions for farangs over 50. You therefore had to apply for a retired long stay extension in certain immigration districts if you are over 50.  Regardless of the inconvenience of different financial rules for you.  Not sure if this has changed now.  That was in Sri Racha office, Chonburi.

If you keep your bank balance below 800,000 theyt cannot force you to do anything.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

They were lying about the refusal to continue issuing marriage extensions. There are few things that immigration offices can not do, that is one of them.

They can make you application process as difficult as possible so you may give up, but they cannot refuse if you fulfil all the conditions they add on.

This is one of the few occasions where I would insist and would first ask to see the immigration offices top person, if still refused without a good reason, then either call 1178 the immigration hotline or go to the regional head office, if still refused, unlikely, go all the way to the top.

It is unlikely that the regional HQ will flout the law on this point.

there 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bluecolour said:

Thank you all for your answers. I'm currently on Thai spouse extension with eligibility of 400K in bank. If I go for retired Visa, won't I need 800K instead? Going back to my original question, so I could renew/reapply for Marriage Extension every year without limit (as long as our marriage still valid)?

Yes

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I'm 78 and on continual marriage extensions. I would rather lose 6% interest on 400K rather than 800K, and also earn a little consultancy income (you can get a work permit on marriage extension). Only advantage to a retirement extension is you get it there and then, while with marriage you have to go back a month later to pick it up.

Korat tried to get me to change a couple of years ago, but I plead poverty, and they haven't asked since. Retirement may be less paperwork for Immigration, but that is on account of the excessively bureaucratic systems. My wife lived 5 years in UK, we both lived 8 years in Pakistan, and 15 years in India, and the bureaucracy was trivial compared to Thailand. However it is up to Thailand to have the systems that it wants!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

If you are retired immigration would rather you did retirement as it's less paperwork for them.

And whose fault is that, hmm? Certainly not the married foreigner who has to produce exactly the same info year after year after year after year until death.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

If you keep your bank balance below 800,000 theyt cannot force you to do anything.

I had been on a retirement visa for three or 4 years but was fine in the 800000 got thing a bit onerous so I wanted to change to a cheaper option with the possibility of a work permit.  After several attempts to get them to change their mind my wife and I decided to return to my home country and we have been very happy here except my wife misses her mother who is now in her 90s. And of course, the weather. I'm not an Australian. They have good weather in many parts.

19 hours ago, bluecolour said:

Yes. As long as your local immigration office finally is the rules of Thailand and don't make up the rules to suit themselves. I had a few run ins with Thai bureaucracy and systems and this was the one that drove the last nail in my long stay coffin. That is why we don't live in Thailand anymore

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@DrJack54 Do they really question/investigate where your money is coming from if you opt for cash in bank method?

@The Deerhunter I suppose the will always be abusing of power since I was told that every immigration branch has a "slightly" different standard.

@brianthainess Can we withdraw the 400K before the extension stamp?

@sometimewoodworker Hopefully I don't have to come to that, but thanks for the info.

@JohnB1945 Is there a minimum wages if I apply for work permit with the Non-O Visa?

@Bangkok Barry Is there any other way?

8 minutes ago, bluecolour said:

@DrJack54 Do they really question/investigate where your money is coming from if you opt for cash in bank method?

Origin of funds in the bank is not required for extensions. Be that extensions based on marriage or retirement.

For income method it must be shown that monthly income is coming from abroad. 

11 hours ago, bluecolour said:

Is there a minimum wages if I apply for work permit with the Non-O Visa?

No

But if you want to use your income from working  to apply for a extension based upon marriage the minimum would be 40k baht.

• Like 1