Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

8 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, Farang means all Foreigners regardless of race, creed, color, religion, etc.   So why be offended?  It's a word for everyone.  I'd rather be called a Farang than a Foreigner or Alien.  But, as others have  mentioned above, it's the way it is said, the tone.  

The word Farang is only used for white foreigners, never mind which nationality they are. If your skin is a bit darker, they may call you Khaek Khaw. For example, Japanese are Kon Yipun and black people are mostly called negro or Piu Dam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobU said:

I am considered to be a 'White Buffalo' in the Issan region which could be construed as mildly insulting but is used in a humerous manner between friends and aquaintances and i use it to describe myself too.

If someone called me a white buffalo there would be consequences. Why do you call yourself this?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wazzupnow said:

i am not offended by Farang ever but the official word used by immigration is much more offending

ALIEN??  do we come from mars are we green ? where we parc our UFO?

Many country's immigration services refer to non nationals as Aliens. 

Australia,USA etc. and numerous others. 

I guess you don't travel much

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, Farang means all Foreigners regardless of race, creed, color, religion, etc.   So why be offended?  It's a word for everyone.  I'd rather be called a Farang than a Foreigner or Alien.  But, as others have  mentioned above, it's the way it is said, the tone.  

Farang doesn't include blacks, indians, arabs etc. It's more or less meant for white/ caucasians.

• Like 1

And this article is written by a xenophobic and racist Thai? Well, that just proves not only what he thinks but also about the word Farang.

I would like to know what racist words to call Thai people in Thai to them? Since, when in Thailand why don't do like the Thai do, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhps others have said the same.  Indeed, get over it.  But then I think the same applies to a host of words that seem to upset the poor little things of today.  Does anyone remember "Sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but words don't harm me"?  I think we should use words according to their meaning and not be blackmailed by those with oversensitive natures.  It is nto the speaker who gives offense - unless he wishes to, it is the hearer who takes offense.  So use farang, fat, spastic, queer, primitive, idiot, moronic, slit-eyed, kraut, white, black, pink, common, working class, impotent, sexy, ugly, etc

9 hours ago, seajae said:

being called a farang doesnt bother me at all but the way it is said by some can be very agressive and demeaning, its all in the way it is used, not the word itself

Exactly. It's only offensive if it's meant in a pejorative way, which it rarely is in my experience.

8 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

There, nailed it.

It's not the word "farang" itself that is offensive, it's the fact they are not even trying to remember our names or trying to do any efforts, that I find offensive.

Yes... But quite often,, they find it very difficult to pronounce our name.. 

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

So you don't believe in the idiom, 'when in Rome, do as the Romans's do'?

Hmm, well then and you don't believe that a plural does not need an apostrophe or a second s.

But you are a Thai who supports Rangers and wants a Scottish Republic, so naturally unpredictable. You could possibly be being a bit cute and not mentioning that you are of Scottish birth and have acquired Thai citizenship. Possibly. 

20 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

And this article is written by a xenophobic and racist Thai? Well, that just proves not only what he thinks but also about the word Farang.

I would like to know what racist words to call Thai people in Thai to them? Since, when in Thailand why don't do like the Thai do, right?

Can you translate slope to Thai.

4 minutes ago, rott said:

Hmm, well then and you don't believe that a plural does not need an apostrophe or a second s.

But you are a Thai who supports Rangers and wants a Scottish Republic, so naturally unpredictable. You could possibly be being a bit cute and not mentioning that you are of Scottish birth and have acquired Thai citizenship. Possibly. 

I am an English teacher, of course I know. sorry for not proofreading my posts. 

Wrong, I support Aberdeen.  I am a dual citizen, not sure what you mean here. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, rott said:

Goodness me, Neeranam's a sweaty sock?? Really.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Thailand said:

Nope, not at all offended.

It does seem to be a requirement today though to be offended by race, color, creed etc.

Yes, like a country having to cancel its traditions because it might offend certain minorities!

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Kwaam chan, I used to tech Maths

Obviously you didn't tech ("teach"?) English very well! 

Sign of the times I suppose - my daughter has a Degree in English and can't spell!

Edited by sambum
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

No, I was replying to someone saying farang was for foreigners. I am not foreign, my nationality is Thai. 

Ferang doesn't refer to your nationality, it indicates that you are a white westerner, which you appear to be.