Electric Vehicles in Thailand

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'd just buy an entry level ICE, and probably the Suzuki Celerio, as over 2 yrs time, cost the same as your rental.  With Celerio, you lose nothing, and probably get half your 'rental' cost back for the upfront payment, when you sell.

Big ??? marks on EV resale, so why bother.

Celerio is too small, I have 2 kids and need space.

On 4/12/2023 at 1:02 PM, Yodarapper said:

If you were an expat with a family who needs car to go everywhere - mostly work everyday and sometimes trips to beach road trips on holidays etc….but you might only be here one or two more years and then have to sell before you leave…..would you still buy an electric vehicle? And if so which?

currently we rent for 16k month - a petrol car since August.

Thanks

How's your financial situation?

Just asking because with no work permit history it might be difficult to get a car financed or you plan to buy everything in cash?

And do you really need an EV? You can make calculations based on gasoline and electricity cost. 

Another question, can you charge at home? And even if you can, be prepared to pay another 10k for meter upgrade and wiring. Home charger / wallbox is free when purchasing a new EV. If second hand EV , expect another 10k to buy home charger. 

Charging externally at public outlets is a pita and expensive. 

You might consider second hand vehicles (ICE or EV) from the dealer. 

Toyota, Honda and MG have good reputation for selling reliable and well maintained second hand cars. 

• Like 1

BYD Seal getting a good discount to compete against Tesla in Australia ………………… fingers crossed and hang in there Seal lovers here in Thailand .

https://thedriven.io/2023/04/12/byd-follows-tesla-price-cuts-with-big-discounts-on-seal-its-model-3-competitor/?fbclid=IwAR2yML3wVO_w0czSWbspKqemxXpMIvv_SQfOq-Xto9s5SK9QBykA-C1PD4o

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

BYD Dolphin ext range rumoured to be making an appearance soon.

60 kWh battery giving 427 km ( WLTP ) and 201 Horsepower , 290 nm torque.

11 kw AC charging and a 7.1 second 0-100 km/h.

That’s better on the specs , Atto 3ish.

Any guesses on the price ?

I am going with 999k baht.

Any advance ?

https://press.bydauto.be/byd-dolphin

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

BYD Dolphin ext range rumoured to be making an appearance soon.

60 kWh battery giving 427 km ( WLTP ) and 201 Horsepower , 290 nm torque.

11 kw AC charging and a 7.1 second 0-100 km/h.

That’s better on the specs , Atto 3ish.

Any guesses on the price ?

I am going with 999k baht.

Any advance ?

https://press.bydauto.be/byd-dolphin

200 hp on that shoebox. Must be amazing acceleration

Which Dolphin will Thailand get ??

Seems like there’s two slightly similar versions ( same same but different ? ) but why ?

Seems like it’s a class thing !!

https://carnewschina.com/2023/04/17/byds-inflatable-dolphin-why-euro-version-is-larger-than-the-chinese/?fbclid=IwAR12Huc6cae4UYuYYjaC31m5wsH3lUTFW3EsiA7UQONk6jFGWReqZa18Bi0

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 9:11 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Looking for a great little city car, this could be worth waiting for

for real? it's bad enough driving in a city in Europe, never mind Thailand......or do you like being stuck in slow moving traffic for hours on end?? ????

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, driver52 said:

for real? it's bad enough driving in a city in Europe, never mind Thailand......or do you like being stuck in slow moving traffic for hours on end?? ????

Believe it or not if you live in the city then it is quite handy to have a city car. Why would you be stuck in traffic for hours on end? 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, driver52 said:

errrr maybe because the cities are overcrowded? go on then, name me a Thai city that doesn't have 'traffic issues'?

I live in Bangkok and most of the places I go to on a daily basis don't require me to sit around for hours in traffic. Driving to and from work, no problem. Driving the kids to school and picking them up, no problem. Driving to a restaurant for dinner, no problem. Driving to the supermarket, no problem. Driving to play football, no problem.

Of course if you want to drive up Sukhumvit in rush hour you're going to be stuck in traffic, but why would I do that?

Bangkok has bad traffic, many cities do. But it was you who asked why anyone would want a city car to "sit around in traffic for hours". I explained why that was a silly thing to say. I never sit around in traffic for hours, never. I could if I was stupid, but I'm not.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, driver52 said:

Yes for real !

A great little city car as opposed to a highway car or both, smaller range and smaller interior more suited to short trips.

Nobody said driving in the city/slow moving traffic was pleasurable.

Learn to understand postings before replying .

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes for real !

A great little city car as opposed to a highway car or both, smaller range and smaller interior more suited to short trips.

Nobody said driving in the city/slow moving traffic was pleasurable.

Learn to understand postings before replying .

Yes, and size is relative ...

... that huge MG EV SUV vs Celerio, or more normal city vehicles:

image.png.75d552bc1c37fd5b7cc98c1133f2ac21.png

For true practical city driving & parking mainly:

(L*W*H), 2920×1493×1621mm 

image.png.8875ad6fca5dcd6f72c8fac4d56b6920.png

Is there no end to the BYD range, recently reported at 31 !!, let’s look at one of their recent cars to be unveiled at the Shanghai Motor Show 

PHEV anyone ??

BYD unveil their latest PHEV the Destroyer  07, PHEV’s seem popular in China ( BYD will have 4 models soon ) and this one is a competitor for the Haval H6 PHEV with a 200 km battery range coupled with a 1.5 ICE ( turbo also available ).

https://carnewschina.com/2023/04/18/byd-destroyer-07-phev-debuts-in-shanghai-with-a-200-km-range/?fbclid=IwAR2NF2mP7RBxKsuBrIq2Rq1ruDvccBXwPR7rjmt2X_QEJdiHFoLQvtUNEBk

Will BYD test the waters with a PHEV in Thailand ? not sure .

Haval didn’t appear to sell too many here but i think that can be put down to the price, plenty of interest when the H6 PHEV was announced but the large jump from HEV to PHEV was a bit too rich for many, myself included.

If BYD get the price right it could be a winner, okay maybe in a different colour ????

• Like 1

TH truly may be an EV hub for SEA.   From another thread, Changan going to produce here, but RHD for export.   Hopefully they'll offer up a couple LHD models, as they have 2 smaller models, <3800mm L, (Nissan March size), and would be interesting if they could put something out at the ฿500k mark.

Kind of hoping they revamp the MG3 as a BEV model.  If even 300km range, to give people that stay local more options.   Just the Neta & ticker cars now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

TH truly may be an EV hub for SEA.   From another thread, Changan going to produce here, but RHD for export.   Hopefully they'll offer up a couple LHD models, as they have 2 smaller models, <3800mm L, (Nissan March size), and would be interesting if they could put something out at the ฿500k mark.

Kind of hoping they revamp the MG3 as a BEV model.  If even 300km range, to give people that stay local more options.   Just the Neta & ticker cars now.

Maybe get the BYD Seagull:

5EAB2237-1CAA-4943-894E-02EB20D9C6D7.jpeg.cb4180f8a9b1e3e1105eb774ef37e8ed.jpeg

Or the Wuling Bingo ?

7C0E16D5-D47A-4EFE-B5BC-EA56382BE6E8.jpeg.8aea89f421e875450ffaea9199483160.jpeg

Both should be close to the Neta V price but just a question of if they come.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here’s the top 15 global EV sales for 2022 with the percentage of change from 2021 

BYD and Tesla, unsurprisingly, leading the sales with VW in 3rd.

A different story from Thailand with MG (SAIC) lagging behind and GWM (Ora) not making the list.

F0DBBE7A-08AE-4614-9D89-559EDB2AFD6A.thumb.jpeg.fdd354c5572cbac3b03ffe43856abf67.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apologies for plagiarising this but some witty Australian posted this on a FB group and i thought it was very well done.

10 Commandments for the Shakespearean EV era:

1. Verily, plan thy trip with the wisdom of Solomon and the cunning of a fox, lest ye becometh stranded like a beached whale.
2. Know thy electric steed's true range, for illusions and wishful thinking shall not propel thee forward.
3. Charge thy wagon like a squirrel hoards nuts, with abundance and regularity.
4. Fret not about charging costs, for if thou can buy a shiny electric horse, thou can surely feed it too.
5. At charging stations, behave not like a gluttonous king; leave some juice for thy fellow pilgrims.
6. Park with grace and thought, that others may quench the thirst of their electric companions.
7. Inquire with gentleness and respect of the charging station's keeper before plugging in thine electric stallion.
8. Forget not the sacred cables, for without them thou shalt be like a bard without his lute.
9. Arm thyself with a trove of fast-charging apps, lest thou spendeth more time seeking than charging.
10. Laugh heartily, like a jester in the king's court, as thou passeth petrol stations and beholdest the dwindling relics of a bygone era.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

As it has been a good few hours since BYD released a new car !!, don’t worry cos here’s one.

No info on whether it will appear in Thailand, just as well as it looks too much for my meagre pension, but it’s good to dream.

https://carnewschina.com/2023/04/22/byds-denza-n7-gets-two-battery-options-with-702-km-range/?fbclid=IwAR1qWULNNmj6-y6B1ia75NmbG-N7jnKUrLuFJOKO89sVbkr5JAuIWmb7GbE

• Like 2