Electric Vehicles in Thailand

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

We visited the local showroom yesterday, Extended Range available ex-stock, Standard Range only in white or grey but only white available to order with a long lead time.  I suspect it's just a marketing ploy to get people to go for the extended range.

I sat in the back whilst my daughter drove, it rode well but was surprisingly noisy in the back.

Yes, I forgot about the limited colour options for the standard range in my post earlier.

Also have seen several reports from standard range Atto 3 owners that the motor is 130 kw and they were under the impression that the motor would be the same as extended range (150 kw ) , that’s 25 hp down.

Apparently nothing in the brochure or sales rep has lead them to believe that this would be the case and they are not happy !

Don’t recall how they found out this.

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Good for you, as I'm a big fan, after only have (MG ZS) for 6+ months.

I would never own an ICE again.  Especially now, since same price as ICEs with govt incentives.  Which also means, there's no 1st or 2nd year depreciation, as our ZS is 'insured value' for more than we paid.   Since value is based on MSRP before incentive applied.  If want to sell/upgrade after incentives expire/2025, you gained that value for resale.

That's good to hear. I've really not heard too many negative experiences tbh.  

Have you found maintenance to be as minimal as suggested? We do quite a high mileage, so it seems like our Toyota is constantly at the garage for another service!

12 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

My last 3 cars were PHEV then BEV and then another BEV.

I can't even contemplate going back to a car with an internal combustion engine again.

My biggest surprise is the MG4 BEV, I love the way it drives, it feels a lot faster than it should, it's 100% a driver's car, I bought it to do a long distance commute to see my kids at university to keep the miles off something a bit more exotic and surprisingly, I prefer the MG4.   I think the BYD Atto 3 is also a superb car, I would only look at those two cars currently although the MG EP+ price is ridiculous, it's unbelievable value for money and drives great. I am sure people with Tesla's are going to get burned badly, six price cuts in the US this year, none in Thailand.... (yet)

I just did a test drive on a Tesla M3, and brought up that very question about price cuts with the sales rep - they are of course prepared for that question, presumably most buyers are concerned. The answer is not convincing - Tesla is new to Thailand and does not intend or need to adjust prices for at least 12 months - and there are clear signs the market for EV's is softening, so my hunch is in a few months Tesla will cut prices, if for no other reason than to gain another rush of publicity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Saw a new red-tag Tesla at a charging station yesterday and another today at the uni. 

I doubt price-cutting would be a good strategy for them. 

It will when their demand drops off, as more competition is available.   They'll have to lower priced to compete, as they are elsewhere.  

Being told price won't be lower for a year, doesn't give anyone much confidence in the purchase, especially if they are the type to replace/buy a new car every few years.  Definitely be taking a hit on their resale value.

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It will when their demand drops off, as more competition is available.   They'll have to lower priced to compete, as they are elsewhere.  

Being told price won't be lower for a year, doesn't give anyone much confidence in the purchase, especially if they are the type to replace/buy a new car every few years.  Definitely be taking a hit on their resale value.

I think it safe to say it not the same market demographic s-box EVs. 

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think it safe to say it not the same market demographic s-box EVs. 

Supply & demand will still dictate pricing on the <2m baht vehicles, as not so much a niche market as the Benzs & Porsches.

Except for that 'T' badge, many find the fit & finish of the Teslas a bit lacking, along with maintenance and replacement parts cost out of warranty.  

With more competition, Tesla realizes, they can only remain overpriced for so long.  Advantage Tesla is the longer range vehicles & charging network, though again, competition is knocking at their door.

Edited by KhunLA

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Supply & demand will still dictate pricing on the <2m baht vehicles, as not so much a niche market as the Benzs &Porsches

Benz is a niche market? 

You crack me up. 

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Benz is a niche market? 

You crack me up. 

That's what I said ... have you priced them ? 

... "as not so much a niche market as the Benzs & Porsches"

EVs (the topic) ... Way more than 2M price tags, and why so few have been registered here.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's what I said ... have you priced them ? 

... "as not so much a niche market as the Benzs & Porsches"

EVs (the topic) ... Way more than 2M price tags, and why so few have been registered here.

Have I priced what? 

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, what does that have to do with Tesla not being the same marketing demographic as s-box MG EVs and whatnot?  

Self explanatory ... 

... Have a nice day

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Benz is a niche market? 

You crack me up. 

When I first moved here 17 years ago, I bought a top of the range Camry with Navigation, and all the toys.  I bought it because it was more powerful, better equipped and a better car than the Benz C200 which was 50% more.

Today, it's a very different story, the Benz C300e is plug in hybrid with a huge range and over 300bhp on tap and very well equipped, but the Camry has only improved a litte bit with Hybrid (not plug in) technology on some models.

The Benz has moved into a completely different class, it's now a superb car, albeit at a premium price.