Electric Vehicles in Thailand

28 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Tesla really needs to do something about the glass roof for Asia markets. 

for the asian market / hot climate : other brands also face this issues, such as sunroofs are not an option

or even sunroofs without closing lid and also seats without ventilation (premium cars).

one example is the very new Volo EX30 ...

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

for the asian market / hot climate : other brands also face this issues, such as sunroofs are not an option

or even sunroofs without closing lid and also seats without ventilation (premium cars).

Mercedes seems to have got it right, I left the cover open on my E class and it never got hot, the glass was very dark though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2023 at 10:00 AM, Melpomene said:

We're thinking of the XC40 and the YouTube range tests we've watched suggest around 360-410 kms for longer road trips. This would be fine, but at 250km I may well think again, particularly as the XC40 would be slightly less economical than the C40. 

The yearly insurance of the volvo xc 40 is 155,000 THB.

Just FYI.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

The yearly insurance of the volvo xc 40 is 155,000 THB.

Just FYI.

You may want to shop around, as we've been quoted <7k to 25k baht for our MG ZS (present insured value of 960k baht)

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, motdaeng said:

I agree. If I was buying a Tesla I would do a glass delete on the roof with a white or silver wrap. My current car has a large sunroof but it does have a sun shade.

I have posted here before about putting foil covered foam between the sun shade and the glass. It’s out of sight but makes a real difference.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

With decent film, not much heat comes through the glass. 

I wish that was true but it's not. Tesla claim to have heat reflecting film on their glass but still many owners complain about the heat on sunny days.

On my current car I rejected the free film offered and paid ฿9,000 for ceramic heat reflective film.

IMG_0907.jpeg.e3cf15420c84db53cfbf6b7fa610bff6.thumb.jpeg.75596546e143ebc34c4422603c07ccdf.jpeg

Temp of the ceramic heat reflective film coated sunroof (you can see the clouds): 

IMG_0903.thumb.jpeg.e85dfe943634005e072afd67f94e75b3.thumb.jpeg.dfa78aa6b6287b42355446d4e7b71cf5.jpeg

temp through foam and foil:

IMG_0904.thumb.jpeg.5ea9dd3b7844a85d877e3ccd3e1cd076.thumb.jpeg.236e1431450dafdb0a406cbea44263fd.jpeg

Temperature through foam/foil and sun screen:

IMG_0905.thumb.jpeg.cf55fcd29d7d6064afd72b5efc3ecbf8.thumb.jpeg.b5f97f00b2d7c086a601165b7b3b735d.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The film/coating is the inside of the glass, it does not stop the glass from heating up. 

The job of the film is to stop you from heating up.

The physics is very simple - if you park your car in the shade the glass will heat up via convection to reach the ambient air temperature:

20230717_111233767_iOS.thumb.jpg.385c961c97d5540dd142f0b73b0639d2.jpg

If parked in the sun,  solar radiation will pass through the glass to the film some of which will be reflected back but some will be absorbed by the film heating it up. Air in the car will come in contact with the hot film and heat via convection. The hot air will come in contact with you and make you hot. 

In addition if you are sitting on the sunny side of the car, some solar radiation will pass through the film and heat your skin directly.

If you press your hand up against the inside of the film coated glass then heat will pass into your hand via conduction. If you hand gets hot, then you will know your film is not doing a great job reflecting solar radiation.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I agree. If I was buying a Tesla I would do a glass delete on the roof with a white or silver wrap. My current car has a large sunroof but it does have a sun shade.

I have posted here before about putting foil covered foam between the sun shade and the glass. It’s out of sight but makes a real difference.

There is no roof glass delete option for the Tesla - they all have a glass roof.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The film/coating is the inside of the glass, it does not stop the glass from heating up. 

The glass only gets hot when you are parked in the sun, the breeze through driving keeps it at ambient temperature.  You probably need something like a 99% blocking film

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

The problem with negative marketing is people lose trust in the company doing it.  Bashing the competition is a poor substitute for extolling your own merits.

Yes, couldn't agree more. It was a very poor move and reflects badly. They didn't read the room.

• Like 1

Thailand accounts for 79% of South East Asian EV sales

"Thailand - the main regional auto manufacturing hub - is driving the transition. Thailand has offered incentives to consumers and subsidies to automakers to build more EVs locally. That has attracted a wave of investments by Chinese carmakers. By 2030, Thailand aims to convert around 30% of its annual production of 2.5 million vehicles into EVs.

In total, Chinese EV makers have committed to invest at least $1.44 billion in setting up production facilities in Thailand, where the auto industry has been dominated by Japanese companies for decades. Chinese auto groups are experiencing rapid growth and outpacing their competitors in the SEA (Southeast Asia) region, with their market share increasing from 38% a year ago to nearly 75%,"

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/chinese-automakers-sold-75-evs-southeast-asia-q1-study-2023-07-20/

20230330_070825426_iOS.thumb.jpg.b0ac0345bd2e0d3dc1dc4517a342256c.jpg

Visitors look at a MG Maxus 9 EV at the 44th Bangkok International Motor Show in Bangkok, Thailand, March 23, 2023 photo Bandersnatch

• Thumbs Up 2

91 is now 37.5 ish, and actually went up a whole 1 baht or more while we are out & about the past 10 ish days.  

I usually use 35 baht, when making posts.  Just before we left on O&A, I used 36+ baht, and now it's 37.5 ish, and saw it as high as 37.83.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2023 at 9:25 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Range for me is irrelevant, as long as it’s above my desired break interval which is about 300km.

What is important to me is performance, handling, NVH, design and recharge speed.

Above all performance and handling, every drive should be a pleasure.

One of the key ingredients of performance and handling is weight; or rather the lack thereof. 

Current EVs fall down in that area though I don't doubt weight will come down as battery technology improves.

To take one example the Lotus Eletre weighs more than two and a half tonnes.  Colin Chapman must be rolling in his grave.

45 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

One of the key ingredients of performance and handling is weight; or rather the lack thereof. 

Current EVs fall down in that area

IMG_1042.jpeg.ceed9cc3d4a985362931f0d847bf2c72.jpeg

IMG_1043.jpeg.15c3ef755ef89cebf1f50676c0f88cff.jpeg

Specs are about the same for these cars but unladen weight for an ICE car is with an empty fuel tank.

Regarding EVs having poor performance and handling why does Goodwood Hill climb record belong to an EV?

The record for Pikes Peak is also held by an electric car

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 2