Electric Vehicles in Thailand

36 minutes ago, macahoom said:

For some reason I suspect the above might be a fake ad. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Hope so too!

If this is for real, more info will probably come tomorrow when businesses open.

Here is a link to where it was found.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bydsealthailand/?ref=share&mibextid=WiMSqg

Edited by tomkenet
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Seems like my MG4 price reduction post earlier might have been a red herring but there is the opportunity to get the MG4 in a new colour ( from the official MG website this time ) at the usual price of 869k (D) and 969k (X) .

But hurry because it is a very limited edition at only 8 units !!

IMG_1240.jpeg.5868e17c413f74527dcc05d0d66eed96.jpeg

Goes well with a Tart's handbag.  I suspect it's a wrap

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

You changed your mind about MG's, chap, so let's not forget that........????

No I didn't.  MGs pre CH were chap ... IMHO, well, USA versions back in 70/80s anyway.  Have to plead ignorance about anything other years or location.

I changed my mind by actually looking at & test driving, along with a bit a research of the NEW models out of CH.  

Nothing any forum member suggested.  I don't put a whole lot of stock in forum members advice, unless I respect their opinion, and TBH, not many that I do.  Spending more than 1000 baht, and I'm researching the hell out of it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Loads of posts from MG dealers on Facebook stating the B100,000 additional discount but there is a catch

1 week ago there was 3 years 1st class insurance on the table that has been reduced to 1 year

And the free servicing for 5 years and the wall charger appears to be no longer available so if you look at the total cost for ownership for the 1st 5 years is there an additional B100,000 saving or just clever marketing 

Already there are a number of MG4 owners bitching about the price reduction and stating they will never buy another MG again

Perhaps Chinese MG has now discovered their sums are wrong, or now the fish is hooked worldwide, they can cut out the cr@p.........????

• Confused 5

18 minutes ago, br12stol said:

Yes agreed... the yellow with the Mist/Wool blend interior, a lot of bang for the Buck.   Did you reserve one?

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 09.45.20.png

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 09.45.48.png

I have an MG Cyberster on order, but if I ordered the Volvo, it would be the colour and spec of your yellow.

I think I prefer the BYD Seal performance though, not least because it's better battery chemistry and less utilitarian interior.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have an MG Cyberster on order, but if I ordered the Volvo, it would be the colour and spec of your yellow.

I think I prefer the BYD Seal performance though, not least because it's better battery chemistry and less utilitarian interior.

Yes I am waiting for the Seal pricing too. 

The other worry is how will the Ex30 stop and go around corners, not any reviews yet that I can find. I previously had an XC40 T5 with approx 250bhp it was very bouncy and leaned a lot in corners. Made passengers feel car sick 

26 minutes ago, br12stol said:

Yes I am waiting for the Seal pricing too. 

The other worry is how will the Ex30 stop and go around corners, not any reviews yet that I can find. I previously had an XC40 T5 with approx 250bhp it was very bouncy and leaned a lot in corners. Made passengers feel car sick 

I am not sure how BYD & Volvo dealers would react to "spirited" driving on a test drive.

If we get it, the MG4 X Power should be ok, the MG4 it is based on is already a hot hatch with firm (driver appealing) suspension.

6 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Can any of you EV enthusiasts enlighten me.

I understand the Tesla Model 3 starts at 1.7 million new.

So why would there be a whole bunch of secondhand Model 3s on One2car at 2 million plus?

The used ones come with batteries 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 11:14 AM, steve187 said:

i have been looking at a new suv, was thinking of hybrid, or ev, as the price of some brands have been reduced,

I bought a Toyota Cross hybrid.  Actually I would have purchased the all gas model but it only came in the base model.  I previously purchased in the USA a Lexus hybrid.  It was $10,000 more expensive, got no better mileage and was worth less than the gas model upon resale due to people concerned over the life of the battery. 

Suprise.  Technology with hybrids has improved.  I get 18 to 19 km per liter and the shift from gas to electric and back is absolutely imperceptible.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, matchar said:

Until they start hogging all the public chargers in Bangkok...

Yes, that thought crossed my mind, and with that, very happy we have an MG ???? We always top up on the outskirts of Krung Thep anyway, at the same MG dealer, and works out perfectly, since 280 kms away, and on the way to our usual hotel, only 19 kms away.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, In the jungle said:

So why would there be a whole bunch of secondhand Model 3s on One2car at 2 million plus?

If they were selling at that price, there would not be a "whole bunch of them" listed. 

In any event, the model 3 list price ranges from B1.99 to B2.359

14 hours ago, In the jungle said:

One2car have some weird pricing. There are also some new Mercedes listed more expensive than the official Mercedes price list.

Could be old adds from before the price cut or just poor sales strategy from the vendor, similar to the condo market here.

Below also don't make much sense.

Screenshot_20230911_202840_One2car.jpg

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If they were selling at that price, there would not be a "whole bunch of them" listed. 

In any event, the model 3 list price ranges from B1.99 to B2.359

Buying through the "grey" channel is always risky, not least with servicing, warranty and parts availability.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla won't even service grey imports and for sure they won't honour any warranty claim (how could they when they haven't serviced it from new).

Everyone who bought a Tesla 3/Y before Tesla opened here is going to lose big bucks.

I am surprised people continue to buy expensive cars like Porsche's through the grey channel when there is an authorised distributor here.  There is a huge risk they haven't paid the correct taxes and you could lose the car.

I remember the transporter in Esan with all the supercars that went up in smoke and nobody would claim them because the scam was buying or stealing them in the UK, disassembling them, shipping them in separate containers, importing them in parts, assembling them, installing LPG, registering them and then removing the LPG.

54 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Buying through the "grey" channel is always risky, not least with servicing, warranty and parts availability.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla won't even service grey imports and for sure they won't honour any warranty claim (how could they when they haven't serviced it from new).

Everyone who bought a Tesla 3/Y before Tesla opened here is going to lose big bucks.

I am surprised people continue to buy expensive cars like Porsche's through the grey channel when there is an authorised distributor here.  There is a huge risk they haven't paid the correct taxes and you could lose the car.

I remember the transporter in Esan with all the supercars that went up in smoke and nobody would claim them because the scam was buying or stealing them in the UK, disassembling them, shipping them in separate containers, importing them in parts, assembling them, installing LPG, registering them and then removing the LPG.

Off topic, but many years ago I wanted to buy a Subaru Impreza WRX or a Mitsubishi EVO VII. The Subaru I could buy officially but no STi version through official channels. A well known importer on Petchaburi offered the full bore EVO VII from Japan for a similar price, but disassembled into parts and reassembled. They only offered a one week warranty. So even if their rebuild was sloppy you were screwed.

I bought the Subaru.

Edited by josephbloggs

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Off topic, but many years ago I wanted to buy a Subaru Impreza WRX or a Mitsubishi EVO VII. The Subaru I could buy officially (but no STi version through official channels). A well known importer on Petchaburi offered the full bore EVO VII from Japan, but disassembled into parts and reassembled. They only offered a one week warranty. So even if their rebuild was sloppy you were screwed.

I bought the Subaru.

You had a lucky escape.

The reason they are disassembled into parts and brought into Thailand in separate containers is to reduce the tax to parts only (something like 20%).  The difficulty comes in registering the new assembled vehicle.

Not only would you have had no warranty, you would have had a car where the import taxes had not been correctly paid, probably registered illegally with an accomplice in DLT.