Electric Vehicles in Thailand

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

This is very off topic, but speaking of voice control, here's a genuine email I got from a contractor who was on his way to meet me for an initial meeting for a sizeable project (he didn't get it). Voice dictation needs checking before you hit send.

Could contain:

Yea...I hit send too soon....live & learn.

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2023 at 8:18 PM, Bandersnatch said:

“EVs are boring”

Anybody else heard this from a petrol head? Well now you can point them to the Hyundai ionic 5N

The ionic 5&6 are coming to Thailand this year, let’s hope we get 5N as well

Is this true? 

Haven't heard anything from Hyundai and I contacted them about this 

23 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Thanks for the update  - please keep them coming 

Any chance we could compile a list of Hi (Hey) BYD phrases that BYDs recognise (Increase the regeneration level - doesn't seem to work)

As we see from the video there’s a lot of commands available, particularly liked the “ find nearby charging station “ giving a list that you can instantly see if mall or gas station etc and then starting navigation when you choose, how good is that ??

Suspect the commands we would like “ turn off lane keeping assist “ “ change to high regen “etc are not available but i will certainly use mine and no doubt find a shortlist of the most useful depending on my needs.

The Thai only commands in my previous MG and current Haval are now redundant.

• Thanks 2

Had the window tint installed to the Seal yesterday. Happy.

Next will be a dash cam, front and back. There's seems to be almost zero talk about dash cams on the Thai Seal Facebook, and the dealership cannot help. If anyone has any information on the installation of a dash cam, please let me know.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Had the window tint installed to the Seal yesterday. Happy.

Next will be a dash cam, front and back. There's seems to be almost zero talk about dash cams on the Thai Seal Facebook, and the dealership cannot help. If anyone has any information on the installation of a dash cam, please let me know.

My plan is to use the BYD built in dash cam ( Shopee 2000 baht ) for forward facing and utilise my current 70Mai A500s for rear facing if I can have it hard wired.

It’s only a tentative plan at the moment and will get better informed closer to delivery but I want to avoid any unsightly cables to usb ports.

My last 2 cars had a usb port built in behind the rear view mirror needing a very short ( 20cm ) cable, very handy.

Not sure of the reason for the removal of the camera in Dolphin and Seal unless it is cost cutting, which seems unlikely at 2k and the cable for said camera is  already fitted.

Is the camera still being fit to Atto 3 , @Pib ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

My plan is to use the BYD built in dash cam ( Shopee 2000 baht ) for forward facing and utilise my current 70Mai A500s for rear facing if I can have it hard wired.

It’s only a tentative plan at the moment and will get better informed closer to delivery but I want to avoid any unsightly cables to usb ports.

My last 2 cars had a usb port built in behind the rear view mirror needing a very short ( 20cm ) cable, very handy.

Not sure of the reason for the removal of the camera in Dolphin and Seal unless it is cost cutting, which seems unlikely at 2k and the cable for said camera is  already fitted.

Is the camera still being fit to Atto 3 , @Pib ? 

I wonder if the software is installed on the Seal to support the camera?

And what about storage? You’ll need a storage card or USB stick somewhere too.

I think I read somewhere that the resolution on the BYD camera is not very good?

For those BYD owners, are your turning off the automatic emergency braking or lane keep assistance . I read on Thai forums that Thai road Aren’t suitable to this software functions but wanted to validate .i 

appreciate your comments on BYD safety software features . Thanks 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

For those BYD owners, are your turning off the automatic emergency braking or lane keep assistance . I read on Thai forums that Thai road Aren’t suitable to this software functions but wanted to validate .i 

appreciate your comments on BYD safety software features . Thanks 

I think AEB has it’s place even in Thailand.

LKA is a pain in the a$$

The self driving capability in the MG4 is psychopathic, it keeps trying to kill you.

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I wonder if the software is installed on the Seal to support the camera?

And what about storage? You’ll need a storage card or USB stick somewhere too.

I think I read somewhere that the resolution on the BYD camera is not very good?

According to a couple of videos after installing the camera a reset of the screen ( long press on volume scroll button ) and it is activated.

The resolution looks okay but the real test is at night if you can read a license plate. The video also has no sound but does record speed and gps etc. Like I said previously I will spend 2k to test it but if not acceptable would probably buy a 70mai A800s with front and rear cameras.

There’s a micro sd card slot in between the usb ports under centre console.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

Voice commands:

There’s about 8(?) pages of various voice commands you can use with the Seal. You’ll find them when you start investigating the centre display. Some of them will be very handy as it seems to me, unless I’m missing something, that a lot of settings annoyingly revert to “off” when the Seal is powered down. One example: the seat ventilation is not remembered from the last setting used; it’s always off when you turn the car on. Thankfully a quick voice command turns it on; no messing about digging into menus within menus, thank gawd.

The lady who answers the voice commands is very polite. A much more human-like conversation compared to my other 2 EVs.

By the way, I sold my 4 year old MGZS EV incredibly quickly using Facebook. Within one hour, someone had arranged to view. He came to the house three hours later, had a look around it, drove it for no more than 200 metres and said, “I’ll take it.” Paid me cash on the spot and we transferred two days later. Brilliant!

The evolution of EVs is advancing at such a breakneck speed. I know it’s a more expensive car, but the Seal makes the MG, a great car, seem like an antique. No doubt, in another four years, the Seal will be old hat too.

So how much did you sell it for?

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in the depreciation of EVs in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Alotoftravel said:

For those BYD owners, are your turning off the automatic emergency braking or lane keep assistance .

Too early to say.

But on my other cars, I have always kept the lane keeping and steering wheel tugging switched to off - except when on a long journey when falling asleep at the wheel is possible. I think it might save my life and, so, is worth having it on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

nd what about storage? You’ll need a storage card or USB stick somewhere too.

All the cabling is present just need to slot the camera in and SD card slot for the camera is still there

SD.jpg.a7103a215b32e81f20184de017c649ac.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

For the Atto 3, yes. Everything off. The 'safety' features are (to me) not needed. The Autonomous Emergency Braking is downright dangerous. Predictive Collision Warning - pointless. Lane Keeping - maybe helpful if dog tired and on a long drive but otherwise useless.

At least since the last OTA update you can permanently disable all this stuff, not have to switch it off everytime you start the car.

Then there's the 'Adaptive' Cruise Control. I think the Atto cruise control is among the worst systems I've ever tried to use. Particularly frustrating is that it only allows for speed settings to change by minimum +/- 5 kmh, not 1 kmh. 

Apart from this stuff, it's a great car. Even the Batman Atlas tyres aren't as bad as some people claim. Speaking after 9 months of Atto ownership.

@BKKBike09

Since you have numerous months of Atto 3 use under your belt can you "manually" folder the mirrors as shown in below snapshot from page 132 of the owners manual.  I can't get them to manually fold...and I put some pretty good pressure.   They auto close just fine but I'm not sure I want them to auto close every time I lock the car. I'm use to the pressure required to manually fold my Fortuner mirrors which is not that much pressure.    Thanks.

image.png.3836737c026a048ed5b218ed675d18af.png

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Since you have numerous months of Atto 3 use under your belt can you "manually" folder the mirrors as shown in below snapshot from page 132 of the owners manual.  I can't get them to manually fold...and I put some pretty good pressure.   They auto close just fine but I'm not sure I want them to auto close every time I lock the car. I'm use to the pressure required to manually fold my Fortuner mirrors which is not that much pressure.    Thanks.

I have to confess I've never even thought about folding them manually. However - just for you! - I can confirm that they do fold manually just fine. Need to push with firm pressure; there's a fair amount of resistance and then it suddenly folds smoothly. 

In a highly-scientific comparison with my Scirocco, I can add that the Atto mirrors require much more effort to fold. However my Scirocco doesn't have power folding mirrors, so maybe that's not surprising (that they're easier to fold).

Happy folding.

• Love It 1

13 hours ago, Pib said:

@BKKBike09

image.png.3836737c026a048ed5b218ed675d18af.png

I might be missing something here but why would you want to manually fold them anyway when you can fold both by pressing a button ?

IMG_1501.thumb.jpeg.c26e99493389a30d16e55c3203e59395.jpeg

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I have to confess I've never even thought about folding them manually. However - just for you! - I can confirm that they do fold manually just fine. Need to push with firm pressure; there's a fair amount of resistance and then it suddenly folds smoothly. 

In a highly-scientific comparison with my Scirocco, I can add that the Atto mirrors require much more effort to fold. However my Scirocco doesn't have power folding mirrors, so maybe that's not surprising (that they're easier to fold).

Happy folding.

Thanks.   

When I read your reply this morning confirming they would manually fold but required much more effort than another of your cars I tried again with "extra-plus" firm pressure using one hand and they would fold.  And I was sure to apply pressure long the rotational axis.    I would estimate it requires twice the pressure of my Fortuner mirrors.

But I found out if I use "both" hands to fold the mirror by placing one on the outside edge of the mirror (like where the blue arrow is in earlier picture) and the other on the side facing the car/next to the window and then turning that the mirror it will fold without feeling like you are applying too much pressure....afraid you are going to break the mirror.

This two hand method seems to apply "a more even rotational force" and the mirror feels like it turns much easier...it doesn't feel like you are turning/pushing so hard you might break something.  Using both hands kinda like if you would put both your hands on someone's head by placing your hands over the ears and then turning the head.

Yea, the Atto external mirrors take a lot more pressure to turn compared to my Fortuner...and your Scirocco.   Thanks again.  One more thing figured out as I'm into day 5 of learning/checking out my new Atto.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I might be missing something here but why would you want to manually fold them anyway when you can fold both by pressing a button ?

I really don't want the mirrors to fold automatically each and every time when locking the car as it just raises the chances of early wear-out/breakage of the mirror closing assembly which ain't cheap to replace.  And there are many places a person parks (like at my home and many places I visit) there is really no need to have the mirrors fold even with the car locked. 

I would prefer to just close them myself "when I think it's necessary" versus automatically each and every time I lock the car  I would just use the button like you mention if I was still in the car...just before getting out.  OR, when the car is already locked (and I may not have the key on my person) and I decide I want to fold the mirrors then I just manually fold them with my hands.   

Additionally, whether I had the mirrors set to auto fold or not I wanted to ensure the mirrors could be manually folded which I now now they can be but requires significantly more pressure than what I have been use to on other cars.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Motorcycles would fold them for you, and unless it' been engineered to be pushed to fold both ways, gears could break

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

I really don't want the mirrors to fold automatically each and every time when locking the car as it just raises the chances of early wear-out/breakage of the mirror closing assembly which ain't cheap to replace.  And there are many places a person parks (like at my home and many places I visit) there is really no need to have the mirrors fold even with the car locked. 

I would prefer to just close them myself "when I think it's necessary" versus automatically each and every time I lock the car  I would just use the button like you mention if I was still in the car...just before getting out.  OR, when the car is already locked (and I may not have the key on my person) and I decide I want to fold the mirrors then I just manually fold them with my hands.   

Additionally, whether I had the mirrors set to auto fold or not I wanted to ensure the mirrors could be manually folded which I now now they can be but requires significantly more pressure than what I have been use to on other cars.

Okay thanks, I wondered if you had missed the part in the manual about using the button …… obviously not 👍