Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, mistral53 said:

Really? Most American muscle cars were sedans parading as sports cars, with 2 tons of an iron clump under the hood,

I guess it all depends on what is sport for you . 

1 hour ago, mistral53 said:

But hey, we were all kids at some point, but most of us moved on, had real jobs, maybe even family......... but not all did 

Not sure what you mean by that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

11 is correct, congratulation, you have learned something new today. 

Now that we agree to 11, it is showing how fast the EV propaganda machine was spinning when numbers of 100+ were shared by many EVanglists.

If you can articulate what part of the math u are unable to comprehend, maybe I can educate you.

I find it odd that you shoot the messenger rather than acknowledging that the Saul Goodman lawyer have bad data on their site. Even more so since the data are false both for ICE and EV.

The figure is over 100 for Hybrid ICE cars, about 140

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

MG 4 updates ...now available in orange too.

spacer.png

Official price (Thai assembly)

Comes with campaign promotions as follows:

Guaranteed vehicle quality for 4 years or 120,000 km.

Battery warranty for 8 years or 180,000 km.

Free first class insurance for 1 year

Free 1 set of MG HOME CHARGER

Free installation fee for MG HOME CHARGER

Free 1 set of V2L cable

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, matchar said:

MG 4 updates ...now available in orange too.

spacer.png

Official price (Thai assembly)

Comes with campaign promotions as follows:

Guaranteed vehicle quality for 4 years or 120,000 km.

Battery warranty for 8 years or 180,000 km.

Free first class insurance for 1 year

Free 1 set of MG HOME CHARGER

Free installation fee for MG HOME CHARGER

Free 1 set of V2L cable

Those prices should place some real pressure on BYD Atto and Dolphin sales.

2 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Last month the president of the Thailand used car association issued a memo to its members to exercise caution in accepting used EV's due to the fact that because of new car price cutting a  used EV will lose value on a daily basis. Today the head of GWM issued a warning that this year will see a price war among EV manufacturers in the Thai market. My first 32inch flat screen TV cost me 32,000 baht. One year later they were selling for 5,900 baht.

The legacy auto manufacturers will have no choice but to join the fight. Suzuki has already fired the first shot, more will follow soon.

Once the Chinese EV manufacturers start production in Thailand 🇹🇭, the auto industry will have to wake up from its slumber and offer newer, better and cheaper models.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Last month the president of the Thailand used car association issued a memo to its members to exercise caution in accepting used EV's due to the fact that because of new car price cutting a  used EV will lose value on a daily basis. Today the head of GWM issued a warning that this year will see a price war among EV manufacturers in the Thai market. My first 32inch flat screen TV cost me 32,000 baht. One year later they were selling for 5,900 baht.

Did the cheaper tv fill the room with noxious fumes or have a noticeably poorer picture quality ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mistral53 said:

The motors are not the problem..... your right foot is..........lol

My Seal AWD Performance displayed 100% range of 580km, but when I switched the range display to dynamic it dropped to 560km

“I know how you drive” 😳

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yep !, I took a weekend break in Hua Hin and drove 110-120 kph when I could but my route, from Ayutthaya, takes me via Bangkok so at times a lot of stop/start traffic.

My cumulative AEC went up to 13.5 kWh/100 km 😊

I drive fast when I can but a lot of short trips in the city, I don’t tear away from the lights and ignore those pickups that seem to want to race !!

Seems like i get taunted more now in a sportier car, didn’t notice so much in my Honda Jazz !

I notice I broke the 13 kWh/100 km and high 12s, when going from Hat Yai to Betong, on hwy #410, as lots of winding road & hills, allowing for lots of regen.   Usually at 14 kWh/100 +/- at highway speeds of 95+/- when possible.  120 kph only available when above HH, when heading to/from BKK to visit daughter, and only feel comfortable driving about 110 kph.   Thai road aren't the best for higher speeds.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I’m extremely disappointed that you hardly took any pictures of the models. I see only 2 or 3. Pretties I mean lol.

Ha ha. Actually there weren't any, maybe just a couple here and there.I haven't been to the motor show for a few years so not sure if they stopped them (I remember talk about this) or if they don't bother with them on press day and maybe only wheel them out on the public days.

Any volunteers to go and check (ad take pictures)?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Ha ha. Actually there weren't any, maybe just a couple here and there.I haven't been to the motor show for a few years so not sure if they stopped them (I remember talk about this) or if they don't bother with them on press day and maybe only wheel them out on the public days.

Any volunteers to go and check (ad take pictures)?

Do the manufactures from CH even bother with that type of promoting vehicles?   I always thought it was a bit degrading for the ladies, and an insult to my intelligence, if they thought I was that stupid, and thinking with the other head when making a purchase.

I shop the specs, before even looking at, or hands on any vehicle purchase.   Specs keep me from wasting my time at dealers.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Do the manufactures from CH even bother with that type of promoting vehicles?   I always thought it was a bit degrading for the ladies, and an insult to my intelligence, if they thought I was that stupid, and thinking with the other head when making a purchase.

I shop the specs, before even looking at, or hands on any vehicle purchase.   Specs keep me from wasting my time at dealers.

One thing you are overlooking is that such events are great opportunities for the pretties to get themselves one or more sugar daddies. It’s not degrading at all, it’s their livelihood and most that I know are satisfied with their career choice.

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I just got back from the Bangkok Motor Show.  Highlights:

The MG Cyberster looks fantastic in the flesh, and very nice on the inside too. @JBChiangRai you will be happy.

The Ioniq 5 is also great.
Xpeng G6 and G9 very interesting, the P7i was pretty wow.

I hadn't heard of this before but there is a Neta GT and it looks great inside and out. Could be a real Seal challenger.

GWM Tank is a beast and very cool.
Volvo XC30 feels superb inside but unfortunately a bit small for my needs as I am tall and there's hardly any room behind if you have your seat right back, but otherwise a fab car.
The Xeekr 007 and Xeekr X look interesting if a little quirky. The other Xeek'rs were a bit weird for my taste.
The Lumin actually feels like a really solid little city car. The interior feels well made with very good quality switch work, everything felt very solid for a car of that price.
BYD Sealion feels good too.

Forgot to mention Vinfast. I know they are investing a huge amount into Thailand and will have something of a marketing blitz, but their cars were very uninspiring. Not very pleasant to look at and felt a bit cheap inside - nowhere near to the quality of the Chinese brands. 

I think they’ll struggle against that competition unless they are going to be very very cheap. We’ll see. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Forgot to mention Vinfast. I know they are investing a huge amount into Thailand and will have something of a marketing blitz, but their cars were very uninspiring. Not very pleasant to look at and felt a bit cheap inside - nowhere near to the quality of the Chinese brands. 

I think they’ll struggle against that competition unless they are going to be very very cheap. We’ll see. 

I am in Hoi An currently, I have been in the larger VF8, I agree, totally uninspiring.

On 3/22/2024 at 11:49 PM, KhunLA said:

I must really be F'g bored ... hmm, let me see ... searching for just the fast chargers...

... nope can't find any, so if living in Chonburi, use the baht buses ... :coffee1:

Photo below is obviously fake, as the guy on the barstool next to me, told me there is no fast charging network in TH.

image.png.f2809c4d244cb4a60d338aacce5c3757.png

This looks a lot different on PlugShare filtering by 100kW+ chargers (aka fast chargers). Why is that? And all the chargers I looked at on PlugShare are single chargers with max 2 plugs.

ChonburiEvFastChargers.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jake72 said:

This looks a lot different on PlugShare filtering by 100kW+ chargers (aka fast chargers). Why is that?

Just done the same filter and found very few chargers in my location. Many missing that I knew were over 100kW.

I then looked for all chargers over 50kW and it didn't add any more! 

I think PlugShare relies on users to upload information. It's like Wikipedia for chargers, so maybe once a charger is added, nobody is checking to see if there in any info missing or inaccurate.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I don't think anyone will be bothered about insulting your intelligence....🤭

Do the big names like Ferrari, Porche have female attendee's/staff....?

8 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Just done the same filter and found very few chargers in my location. Many missing that I knew were over 100kW.

I think PlugShare relies on users to upload information. It's like Wikipedia for chargers, so maybe once a charger is added, nobody is checking to see if there in any info missing or inaccurate.

But PlugShare does have all the chargers, however most of them are just 3-5kW wall chargers, not fast chargers:

ChonburiSlowChargers.png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jake72 said:

This looks a lot different on PlugShare filtering by 100kW+ chargers (aka fast chargers). Why is that? And all the chargers I looked at on PlugShare are single chargers with max 2 plugs.

ChonburiEvFastChargers.png

20 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

filter <50kW  (48 or 49).   Still pretty fast, and since many EV, mine include, won't accept 100kW, then seems a bit senseless.  MG ZS will accept 76kW.  I usually only need about 30kW when topping up, if that, as will leave somewhere between 85-95%, or whenever we're done doing what we're doing.   Actually made to 100% the other day, but don't think we start much below 45%, as needed a toilet break & a munch.

Also, which I just realized the other day when planning, the PhugShare site & app, show vastly different number of chargers.   For some reason, app show many more.  Thought that a bit strange.   Charge Loma app a bit better, but still not as good as the vendor apps, as current.  Most of apps on wife's phone, so I just ask her to pick the next one/EV Station Pluz, when time to stop to 'P' & munch.

My screenshot was probably from Charge Loma and are fast charger 49kw & up

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't think anyone will be bothered about insulting your intelligence....🤭

Do the big names like Ferrari, Porche have female attendee's/staff....?

Hmm ... buy one of those, or a house, let me think a sec...

... a house seems a bit more practical, and every house I've owned cost less, and appreciated.

I don't do car show, so couldn't tell you.  Only shop when ready to buy something, as looking at cars, doesn't do much for me.   The lasses wouldn't be too hard on the eyes to peek at though.   I do prefer a more natural look, without the applied coverings & exaggerated features.