Electric Vehicles in Thailand

42 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

We have spent enough time answering the question:

“Is it possible to charge an EV on a long trip in Thailand?”

The answer is yes - so let’s move on.

The only caveat being it is easier if you choose an EV with good dealer charging support. Currently the clear winner in Thailand is MG. GWM has promised the same but has yet to be rolled out. Tesla has recently set up a company in Thailand and has a reputation of offering the best charging support of any EV manufacturer. 

MG fast DC charges charge at 94 kW DC adding 410km/hour so a 22 minute charge adds 150km of range. Tesla charge at twice that rate with some cars charging at three times.

Why, some readers may not be convinced, including me.  ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, macahoom said:

The road tax, per annum, for the MGZS EV is ฿1,300.

No idea how much for the ICE version, but I know it's more. 

ICE version ... ฿1647

16 hours ago, Excel said:

But as I said which some people have difficulty understanding, not on my route so if you search my posts you will find the facts.

People here are trying to help you but seem to ignore everyone advise or help. Good luck when asking next time

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CLW said:

People here are trying to help you but seem to ignore everyone advise or help. Good luck when asking next time

Help me ?  No they are just attempting to make out that there are charging points on the route I take when they are totally ignorant of what my route is.  A 12 year child these days have enough skills to firstly identify current charging points and then determine a route to use in order to use them but that is plain dumb.  And you seem another one who attempts to jump in with both feet without reading my posts. So, please show me my post in this thread where I asked for anything  as you stated I did ?

Edited by Excel
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, CLW said:

The OP has asked members to not ask any more questions on getting juice, which to me is a cop out, because the major factor with an EV is to not worry about juice top up.

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Are EV's in LOS unsellable at say 6 years old...?

Since most haven't been around for 6 years, guess it's a big ?????

Not sure what my ICE will be worth at 6 yr mark, as dealer / tent folks, only offer ฿350k, which is 50% off purchase of 2 yr ago.  See listed on FB for ฿400-450k.  I'd keep or give to our daughter before selling for ฿350k.

I know the EV will be my last car, as surely outlast me, barring any oops.  Actually expecting 20 yr / 300k kms out of it.  Hope everything lasts as long as the batteries & motors.  300 kms isn't really that much now of days.   Extreme negative, 1000 cycles @ 300 kms a cycle.

ICE @ 300 kms, just petrol cost alone is the price of the EV. 

300k kms / 11 kpL X ฿35 = ฿955k

So ... what other negative thought about EVs are you going to repeat or come up with ????

38 minutes ago, transam said:

Are EV's in LOS unsellable at say 6 years old...?

MGs come with an 8 year battery warranty and second hand models seem to hold their value but are only 3 years old.

4177EB2C-BB11-4243-A93E-5512A01504D1.jpeg.52efac96be3c68ade49ed34a11338b55.jpeg

Older EVs in the UK and US are selling for what they cost new

0DF9C36E-1E9A-421F-93DD-7D5736689683.thumb.jpeg.930864623df9c45a6069e3ac13f14164.jpeg

26074F90-616D-45DC-AC51-3F7EABAE3D56.jpeg.b82d3c68688735501b009cee0055d8de.jpeg

3 hours ago, Excel said:

Perhaps you should start a separate thread and name it "route Planning" ????

I'm not the one who needs it ... ????

"On the Road Again" ... damn near a theme song for us ... ????

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Since most haven't been around for 6 years, guess it's a big ?????

Not sure what my ICE will be worth at 6 yr mark, as dealer / tent folks, only offer ฿350k, which is 50% off purchase of 2 yr ago.  See listed on FB for ฿400-450k.  I'd keep or give to our daughter before selling for ฿350k.

I know the EV will be my last car, as surely outlast me, barring any oops.  Actually expecting 20 yr / 300k kms out of it.  Hope everything lasts as long as the batteries & motors.  300 kms isn't really that much now of days.   Extreme negative, 1000 cycles @ 300 kms a cycle.

ICE @ 300 kms, just petrol cost alone is the price of the EV. 

300k kms / 11 kpL X ฿35 = ฿955k

So ... what other negative thought about EVs are you going to repeat or come up with ????

My point was the cost of battery replacement at around 8 years old, who is going to buy a 6 year old electric car, it will cost as much as the car is worth to install a new battery bank...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

MGs come with an 8 year battery warranty and second hand models seem to hold their value but are only 3 years old.

4177EB2C-BB11-4243-A93E-5512A01504D1.jpeg.52efac96be3c68ade49ed34a11338b55.jpeg

Older EVs in the UK and US are selling for what they cost new

0DF9C36E-1E9A-421F-93DD-7D5736689683.thumb.jpeg.930864623df9c45a6069e3ac13f14164.jpeg

26074F90-616D-45DC-AC51-3F7EABAE3D56.jpeg.b82d3c68688735501b009cee0055d8de.jpeg

Read my next post. 6 year old car, and cost of battery bank replacement, I reckon they will be worthless...

8 minutes ago, transam said:

My point was the cost of battery replacement at around 8 years old, who is going to buy a 6 year old electric car, it will cost as much as the car is worth to install a new battery bank...

Repeating the same query over again, doesn't change the answer, which you already know.  The warranty is good for 8 yrs 180k kms.  The battery itself, is good for far longer.  

But you already knew that.   

You guys just made my ignore list, sad, as I like some of your replies elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Repeating the same query over again, doesn't change the answer, which you already know.  The warranty is good for 8 yrs 180k kms.  The battery itself, is good for far longer.  

You guys just made my ignore list, sad, as I like some of your replies elsewhere.

Found this after Googling, an interesting article from an Australian site

https://thedriven.io/2021/07/23/how-much-are-replacement-batteries-for-electric-vehicles-in-australia/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

That has nothing to do with my question, so let me put it very simple for you, ready.......

Who is going to buy a 6 year old EV if it is known the battery bank is stuffed at 8 years old, the battery bank change will cost as much as the six/eight year old car.

We all know that modern petrol or diesel cars go on forever and hold their value in THAILAND...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, transam said:

That has nothing to do with my question, so let me put it very simple for you, ready.......

Who is going to buy a 6 year old EV if it is known the battery bank is stuffed at 8 years old, the battery bank change will cost as much as the six/eight year old car.

We all know that modern petrol or diesel cars go on forever and hold their value in THAILAND...

I would never buy a 6 year old EV...   that would be utter foolishness at the moment. 

So, unless the batteries become more ‘interchangable’ between models its going to be tough unless manufacturers agree to continue to make the same batteries for the old models at a price which warrants the change rather than a new car. 

OR... the industry goes a different way... Cars are not bought, but leased... and we re-lease a car every 3,4,5 years etc...  and then IF the industry goes that way, are we only going to get cars that last for 5 years?...  Then, isn’t that somewhat of a throwaway society and not exactly environmentally friendly.. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Reminder this a discussion about EVs in Thailand.

This not a discussion about EVs v ICE cars  - for that go here:

I am talking about 6 year old EV's in LOS, please keep up....????

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Tinker Car assembly line ... impressive & scary, all at the same time ... ????

SAIC-GM-Wuling (฿400k range):

Nontheless it was (or still is) one of the best selling EVs in China.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Tinker Car assembly line ... impressive & scary, all at the same time ... ????

SAIC-GM-Wuling (฿400k range):

I see impressive, but not scary.

Why do you say scary?

I think the small wheels ruin the look.