Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 6/14/2022 at 3:15 PM, Bandersnatch said:

Home solar and EVs work well together. Once your house batteries are full put the rest in your car. My next EV will have V2L so I can feed back power into the house when needed.

B45EEC80-253A-4431-AE5E-B2EBE4B138B6.jpeg.71d429198f0a89e0bab47ac518449729.jpeg

Talking about solar charging, would the car be “smart “ enough to charge only from solar power and not from the grid, in the case where it’s an overcast day?

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Talking about solar charging, would the car be “smart “ enough to charge only from solar power and not from the grid, in the case where it’s an overcast day?

I think that is controlled by the solar power installation / grind inverter and not by the EV. But should be possible to program

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

MG for example accepts both, AC & DC charging.  My motorcycle does not.

https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/mg-zs-ev-charging-guide/

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Zappi chargers can match charge speed to solar production. 
https://myenergi.com/product/zappi/

I have the grid connection switched off most of the time and tend to charge my car mostly in the middle of the day. I can monitor the state of charge of both my car and my house batteries from my phone, so it is easy to balance them. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes

Not sure about that, though yet to see one being cited.  Have a few locally.

I know golf carts & ATVs are not allowed on the road.  Not sure what these 3 & 4 wheelers would need to be registered.  Or if any regulation would be enforced.

I know the low spec'd ticker cars can not be registered IMIOs & such, unless something changed in the last 6 months or so.   Wuling & POCCO, can be.

I would be surprised if anyone would care, as long as not making a nuisance of one's self, and sticking to small sois, or village areas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

kse1.jpg.f500616e35e4cb0ddf4744d4c1ca3406.jpg

Electric scooters are in high demand of late in Korat city, Nakhon Ratchasima province, after fuel price increase. A typical one can run for 50 after being charged once. The charging fee costs 9 baht. Thongdee Lodphukiew, 45, bought one from a shop recently. He said he can’t cope with the rise in petrol price and will use the scooter around residence and buy goods from nearby fresh markets. His expenditure was reduced from 250 baht per week for his motorcycle petrol to 18 baht now.

kse2.jpg.abcf70aead27d7b5d063af59671a65b5.jpg

Source: Khaosod English

I did look at electric motorbikes a few months ago, but I am waiting for the EV grants  - EV motorcycles priced up to 150,000 baht can receive 18,000 baht. Prices listed below are before the grant.

I did see some assembled in Thailand kits imported from Taiwan. I have LFP batteries in my solar system and they have a long life.

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/en/

1614426910_Photo15-1-22081436.thumb.jpg.7e3e0cd537110a86982b64a2dc1bde77.jpg

1745144071_Photo15-1-22081543.thumb.jpg.c7b19ad90dfcc8d537157429ead68fcc.jpg

Edited by Bandersnatch

Plugging into the future with EV mobility in Thailand (EVs in the News)

https://www.nationthailand.com/specials/40015527

"A package of incentives covering the period 2022-2025 

In the first two years, the measures will focus on encouraging widespread domestic use of EVs by providing tax breaks and subsidies for imported models and those made locally. The purchase of an EV made by a participating brand will see the buyer receive a subsidy of Bt70,000 to Bt150,000, depending on the type and model of the vehicle.

In the last years of the package, the support will mainly be on promoting domestically produced EVs, while cancelling some benefits for imported models."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I am not sure why Japanese legacy autos are so slow to adapt.

That's easy, it's because compared to American automakers, they are much less susceptible to government mandates. 

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I own the DECO SUSU model (3000w/72v50Ah) and love it.  Not pictured in promos above, but on their website.

2000w motor models would more than suffice, and the 1000w models have removable batteries for those living in condos or apartments. <2hr to full charge.

20220628_065221469_iOS.thumb.jpg.9fcbb3e320cf7ea2f39fc276d5bc3874.jpg

Went to visit my local Deco dealer today to ask about the EV grant. They said that they would start selling the 8 approved models with a grant discount later in the year. Even without the grant they said sales of EV motorbikes are increasing rapidly due to the rising price of 91 and 95.

gf took a 1,000 kW motor model out for spin and said it was great fun.

According to the shop these models are all grant approved:

20220628_065636645_iOS.thumb.jpg.b0bed206890a96629a287d3f743e3af5.jpg

Deco.thumb.jpg.02279aa89f69332c4dc6bd84f9b4682c.jpg

1989801261_Deco2.thumb.jpg.b688f3824201575d4bbcc9d2237b20cd.jpg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thanks 1

Finally.

Almost glad mine didn't make the list, didn't miss anything ????

As I said a few time, on mine once, usually twice a day.  Where the Honda Wave sat, unless needing to fill the tires, or put gas in it, to ride once every 2 weeks to keep the battery charged.  Sold it after a couple years of that.  Was just a spare in case an oops with the car, which never happened.

7 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Why are these limited to 100kmh? to artificially preserve battery life and integrity I'm assuiming.

Not that this is a race car, but there are times when above that speed is required. 

You just have to plan a little, what's the hurry? 

Not often you have the opportunity to exceed 100km/h in Bangkok, not legally anyway. As a daily-driver it would be fine.  

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

You just have to plan a little, what's the hurry? 

Not often you have the opportunity to exceed 100km/h in Bangkok, not legally anyway. As a daily-driver it would be fine.  

I don't live in Bangkok - the fact that it is limited so low is the concern 

3 hours ago, eezergood said:

Why are these limited to 100kmh? to artificially preserve battery life and integrity I'm assuiming.

Not that this is a race car, but there are times when above that speed is required. 

It could be to enhance the range, as well.

Electric cars top speed: Are they slower than normal cars?

This is because most manufacturers of electric cars limit the top speed to preserve battery charge. Aerodynamic drag increases significantly as speed rises and hence battery power is consumed more rapidly when a high cruising speed is maintained.

I agree that sometimes you need to be able to go over 100 kph. I can't imagine doing a long distance journey in Thailand (or in most countries, for that matter) and being limited to 100 kph. You'd be stuck in the middle lane in among convoys of 10-wheelers for much of the time, unable to get past them.

• Like 1