Electric Vehicles in Thailand

9 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I am not sure how that reduced range works - my MG HS PHEV also went from 67 km range to 66 km after about one year, bu now after over 18 months its back up at 67...........go figure.

There is head-room on the battery, even when new I was never able to put in more than 13.5 kWh, so this could all just be a function of their BMS.

Or black magic...........

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I hear you, although I find plugging in the e-scooter, a lot more convenient than topping up the Honda Wave of days past.  Especially since the local PTT isn't on the way to anything, actually annoying unless going to Global House for some reason ... rare.

image.png.f79779d7dd73aff441c780adaa525cd3.png

Now we know where you live.
This love heart which says "rental". Is this, were your part-time gig lives?

After watching loads of stuff on EV's etc, my conclusion for THAILAND is that if you want to go electric, then the PHEV must be the safest no hassle route...The ride is cheap to run and has "backup"....????

20 minutes ago, transam said:

After watching loads of stuff on EV's etc, my conclusion for THAILAND is that if you want to go electric, then the PHEV must be the safest no hassle route...The ride is cheap to run and has "backup"....????

I also thought PHEV is the way to go. today i think BEV is the right decision for myself.

PHEV:
- maintenance costs for 2 engines (ICE and electric)
- limited range if driven only electrically
- fuel consumption high when the battery is empty (extra weight)
- petrol is more expensive than electricity

BEV:
+ we usually don't drive more than 50-80 km per day
+ but we also go every year for one or more road trips (up to 4'000 km).

to plan charging stop is not an issue for me. we prefer  to have

a lot of breaks and we have plenty of time!
+ with a BEV it makes also sense to invest in solar 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

I also thought PHEV is the way to go. today i think BEV is the right decision for myself.

PHEV:
- maintenance costs for 2 engines (ICE and electric)
- limited range if driven only electrically
- fuel consumption high when the battery is empty (extra weight)
- petrol is more expensive than electricity

BEV:
+ we usually don't drive more than 50-80 km per day
+ but we also go every year for one or more road trips (up to 4'000 km).

to plan charging stop is not an issue for me. we prefer  to have

a lot of breaks and we have plenty of time!
+ with a BEV it makes also sense to invest in solar 

I agree on all of these, solar makes the most sense for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, eezergood said:

I agree on all of these, solar makes the most sense for sure. 

I think many of us don't spend hours on end in a car, but the car spends hours on end in a car port of some sort, so solar panels on the port roof, or nearby, would be an ideal free source of juice, if it is possible to do, then going to the shops for free....????

Not exactly a vehicle but I am wondering if there are any proper e-bikes or e-mopeds available in Thailand?

No china no-name <deleted> or Thai-made copies. I'm talking about brand names from the US or Europe or any Kickstarter / Indiegogo offer that has worldwide shipping options...

1 minute ago, CLW said:

Not exactly a vehicle but I am wondering if there are any proper e-bikes or e-mopeds available in Thailand?

No china no-name <deleted> or Thai-made copies. I'm talking about brand names from the US or Europe or any Kickstarter / Indiegogo offer that has worldwide shipping options...

Suspect the import duties of a high quality electric bike will be significant.

13 minutes ago, Excel said:

Most likely, yes. Unless they are covered under the current tax exemptions for EVs.

Apart from that, you can't ship the batteries by air freight. So for individual shipments, it must be separated.

Frame by air freight, battery by special battery courier service.

I am wondering why Decathlon doesn't offer e-bikes? Most likely they are made in China anyways...

temp.PNG

Edited by CLW
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Excel said:

I found this bike shop in Thailand. But for a price of almost 46k for a e-bike it's a no brainer. Honda Wave i 110cc is cheaper.

Unless someone set up a local manufacturing of e-bikes I see no future for them. Scooters and small motorcycles will be the majority in Thailand.

What a shame for Thailand. If you look at china, many cities banned motorized two wheelers and now there's almost all electric.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I would hold off buying an EMotorbike - I posted this on the first page of this discussion. ฿18,000 subsidy coming in soon

Bikes.thumb.jpg.04685f6e0bcaa601deaa3953d0fa6416.jpg

Better late then never. 18k should bring the prices of electric two wheelers far under the current ICE ones.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CLW said:

I don't believe so, and if so, probably silly priced.  e-bike is easy, and I converted my Schwinn to one, and really enjoy it.  e-bikes also available, though good ones are a bit pricey, depends on your use.

Wouldn't discount China made / imported / Thai assembled of same, e-motorcycles, whole of part.  Quite like mine, and very practical for around town, within 50 kms,

Range is a kill joy on e-motorcycles.  Local use only, IMHO, unless spending silly ... extremely silly money.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CLW said:

I found this bike shop in Thailand. But for a price of almost 46k for a e-bike it's a no brainer. Honda Wave i 110cc is cheaper.

Unless someone set up a local manufacturing of e-bikes I see no future for them. Scooters and small motorcycles will be the majority in Thailand.

What a shame for Thailand. If you look at china, many cities banned motorized two wheelers and now there's almost all electric.

Is this the ebike shop: https://www.bkkebike.com/e-bike-thailand?gclid=CjwKCAjw46CVBhB1EiwAgy6M4icqfpXsSKoDelk9oC75Yo4zZ-xBQsj1mmVyNj4hc6ZID31nI0-1WhoC-rkQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CLW said:

Better late then never. 18k should bring the prices of electric two wheelers far under the current ICE ones.

They're inexpensive now, but range is limited.  Not sure if you've seen this photo before.  There is also a 3000w / 72v50Ah model available, but a bit pricey @ ฿74k:

DECO line up.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They're inexpensive now, but range is limited.  Not sure if you've seen this photo before.  There is also a 3000w / 72v50Ah model available, but a bit pricey @ ฿74k:

DECO line up.jpg

I've seen some of them. Still hesitate to buy one. No brand name, means pretty much no after sales service outside of Bangkok and resale value quite low. I'm not in a hurry and waiting for proper ones

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

DECO line up.jpg

Recently I came across a review of a Zero electric motorcycle. Oh the joy, give me one of those and I'll drop the key of ICE motorcycle immediately and forever. Hope someday they'll be available in Thailand

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

This is one EV that I suspect won't make it to Thailand, but you never know.

The tiny electric car that’ll take you to the office and back ... for £20 a month (msn.com)

The issue with possible availability here is no market presence of GM or Citroen in Thailand. At least it's already available as right hand drive, which is a major problem for those tinker cars from China. They get imported from China and modified by the importer in Thailand. Hence the relatively expensive prices

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CLW said:

The issue with possible availability here is no market presence of GM or Citroen in Thailand. At least it's already available as right hand drive, which is a major problem for those tinker cars from China. They get imported from China and modified by the importer in Thailand. Hence the relatively expensive prices

Actually one of the SAIC - Wuling production models, the Baojun E100 is badge as  'GM', and comes out of their 'joint' production line, as do other, under different badges; Volkswagen, Skoda, Audi, GMs-Buick, Chevrolet, Cadillac in different markets.

I'm partial to the Baojun E300, as looking very futuristic ... ????  Already available for Left Handed Traffic, marketed in India.

Screenshot (430).png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

These lower cost small EVs definitely have a role to play. For a short trip to the markets for some shopping say, or short journeys in cities.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

These lower cost small EVs definitely have a role to play. For a short trip to the markets for some shopping say, or short journeys in cities.

Exactly - perfect for my/wifes daily commute 50-100km range

9 minutes ago, eezergood said:

But no vehicles available ???? 

Did they sell out the Thai allotment ?   Or simply need to order one ?  

A bit of good business, along with supply & demand with practical delivery date sort of.  Within 6 months is a bit vague ????

Annoying having to wait, but if helps them control inventory & price, guess it's worth it.  Actually surprised it didn't happen earlier.   Never understood the ol' USA auto manufacturers forcing dealers to take so many units every year.   Meant selling leftovers from previous year at little profit, just to make way for new inventory. Proved to be a failed system.

I even had to wait for my e-scooter (DECO) as they didn't have one in red.  When I went to the manufacturer/importer's showroom in Nakhon Pathom, they didn't even have any of the SUSU models to test ride, and actually test drove a customer's scooter around the parking lot.  All I really needed to do, to test torque and that sold me.

Had 50+ sold scooters sitting in shipping area waiting to go to dealers.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Did they sell out the Thai allotment ?   Or simply need to order one ?  

A bit of good business, along with supply & demand with practical delivery date sort of.  Within 6 months is a bit vague ????

Annoying having to wait, but if helps them control inventory & price, guess it's worth it.  Actually surprised it didn't happen earlier.   Never understood the ol' USA auto manufacturers forcing dealers to take so many units every year.   Meant selling leftovers from previous year at little profit, just to make way for new inventory. Proved to be a failed system.

I even had to wait for my e-scooter (DECO) as they didn't have one in red.  When I went to the manufacturer/importer's showroom in Nakhon Pathom, they didn't even have any of the SUSU models to test ride, and actually test drove a customer's scooter around the parking lot.  All I really needed to do, to test torque and that sold me.

Had 50+ sold scooters sitting in shipping area waiting to go to dealers.

As i understand the ORA will not resume order taking until Oct - I assume due to chip shortages etc....

• Like 1