Electric Vehicles in Thailand

27 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The robot welding is quite impressive, but then you see a lot of bits, 'snapping' in place.  I'm sure they're securely tightened and all before it rolls off the line.  Just not something I'd want to be in, if taking a decent hit.  Like how they all get a little test drive after coming off the line.

They are produced to just knock around town.  Do wish they got some kind of govt incentive here, as they, Wuling & POCCO (฿500k range) both sell for 2X the Chinese price.  And not exactly spec heavy. 

https://www.autofun.co.th/news/เทียบสเปคกันชัด-ๆ-pocco-mm-vs-wuling-mini-ev-เจ้าจิ๋วคันไหนครองใจคุณ-37641

Definitely a step up from e-motorcycle, considering rain, or the extreme inexpensive tinker cars, with lead acid batteries for half price, the line of IMIO Mini EVs: https://pantip.com/topic/41327871

Especially when you have the Neta V hitting the market in the ฿600k range.  Seems silly not to spring for the extra 100 or 200k more.    If the Wuling meets your needs, and 200k more is a stretch, then it works fine.

Okay, so you're talking about having an accident in one.

Yeh, for sure, scary. 

• Like 1

In case you missed it: Thailand to only allow BEV sales from 2035

The Thai government will only allow purely electric vehicles to be sold from 2035 onwards. The aim is also for electric vehicles to account for 50 per cent – and not 30 per cent as previously planned – of all new car registrations by the end of this decade.

https://www.electrive.com/2021/04/23/thailand-to-only-allow-bev-sales-from-2035/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Thailand to only allow BEV sales from 2035

That means it is the intent to only sell BEV vehicles from 2035 onwards. From that date no ICU. However no doubt bribery and corruption could well push that date out as how can Thailand survive without the production of the highly pollutant diesel pick-up ?  

It stated vehicles, not just cars, so  unless there are vast strides in battery technology in the next 13 years, I can not see how practically commercial diesel/LPG trucks can be banned as the electric commercial truck seems a long way off, apart from Tesla of course.

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2022 at 11:14 AM, steve187 said:

i have been looking at a new suv, was thinking of hybrid, or ev, as the price of some brands have been reduced,

but ev's mg zs ev, havel, etc. are ok for short running about trips, but have a restricted distance, and no national network of charging ports, at home in some cases an extra electric metre is required, and for some households impossible to get a charging point fitted. condo's etc

hybrid nissan kicks, honda hrv etc. no problem with charging but, how good is the technology and is the increase mpg worth the possible future problems, 

in my mind the industry needs to improve as it will in the future, but for now buying maybe my last new car i think its worth sticking with the old reliable (not always), but been arounfd for a long time. so it ice for me

I've been thinking of an EV as well to replace our 2012 Honda Jazz. The issue as always is range. Most of the time it wouldn't be a problem but we do like to take longer journeys. We could rent for longer trips if it were only occasionally but I'd need to work out if it's funfairs a good idea for us based on the frequency. I've recently found availability to be a problem recently.

As for hybrids Honda and Toyota have been making them for years and my own 2009 Prius in the UK which I think is on around 108,000 miles from memory and runs well. Some of this should also feed into EV vehicles. 

I wish they did a hybrid Fortuner but nabbed they'll go EV soon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Excel said:

It stated vehicles, not just cars, so  unless there are vast strides in battery technology in the next 13 years, I can not see how practically commercial diesel/LPG trucks can be banned as the electric commercial truck seems a long way off, apart from Tesla of course.

That's just not true though, is it?

Here's a partial list of companies manufacturing EV semi trucks for instance, generated by a very cursory Google search.

Kenworth

Stellantis

Volvo

Tesla

Rivian

BrightDrop

Electric Last Mile Solutions

Nikola Motors

Daimler

Peterbilt

BYD Motors 

Mercedes

7 EV van and truck companies with big 2022 plans | Greenbiz

Future Electric Semi Trucks

(And though that link says "future," if you look at the article most of them are already in production).

Electric Mercedes eActros HGV review

And there are no doubt others I didn't find.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

Also, as the "Future Electric Semi Trucks" article mentions:

In addition to heavy-duty semis, we're also on the cusp of a revolution that will see electrified construction vehicles, electric school buses, garbage trucks that run on electricity and fleets of smaller electric delivery trucks ...

Again, many of these vehicles are already available.

5 hours ago, Excel said:

That means it is the intent to only sell BEV vehicles from 2035 onwards. From that date no ICU. However no doubt bribery and corruption could well push that date out as how can Thailand survive without the production of the highly pollutant diesel pick-up ?  

My friend in the UK works for an EV  heavy goods vehicle manufacturers.

Here is a photo of an EV dust cart, they are all over the UK.

568698714_Electrictruck.thumb.jpg.342c9c0b5be30fd43710b94d17e8f97f.jpg

Edited by transam
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, GroveHillWanderer said:

Also, as the "Future Electric Semi Trucks" article mentions:

Again, many of these vehicles are already available.

Well that is certainly interesting stuff to counter my post. But I just did a search and unless I am wrong, not one of them are currently for sale in Thailand. Did I overlook something perhaps ?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

My friend in the UK works for an EV  heavy goods vehicle manufacturers.

Here is a photo of an EV dust cart, they are all over the UK.

568698714_Electrictruck.thumb.jpg.342c9c0b5be30fd43710b94d17e8f97f.jpg

Err , we are talking about availability of EV vehicles in Thailand, not the UK so perhaps you could remain focused on this country. Thanks and have a nice day.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Well that is certainly interesting stuff to counter my post. But I just did a search and unless I am wrong, not one of them are currently for sale in Thailand. Did I overlook something perhaps ?

I would have thought anything can be bought in Thailand if it is wanted...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Excel said:

Err , we are talking about availability of EV vehicles in Thailand, not the UK so perhaps you could remain focused on this country. Thanks and have a nice day.

Heeeeey, don't dodge, EV HGV's are out there if one wants to buy one. Don't hide behind the Thai thing, you were going on about batteries for HGV's..????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Heeeeey, don't dodge, EV HGV's are out there if one wants to buy one. Don't hide behind the Thai thing, you were going on about batteries for HGV's..????

Err, let me remind you again we are in Thailand so apart from your eagerness to post photos of EV commercial vehicles in other countries perhaps you could actually knuckle don and post which EV commercial vehicles are available here in Thailand. Or  does a big zero spoil yours and others nonsense postings ? 

16 minutes ago, transam said:

My point was there are batteries for EV HGV's which you were questioning.

But, just for you in LOS.....????

2033271081_Electricbus.jpg.a81b926318eaee1c16adeda6cb427412.jpg2034466986_Electrictruck.jpg.029c2c231cd94e6793f57af60761aec6.jpg

Nice try Transam, albeit a rather stupid one.  Firstly I was discussing commercial EV trucks if you had bothered to read my earlier post and the picture of the bus you posted is not a truck , well may be so in your eyes perhaps, and your picture of the Volvo truck has an ICU engine running on Euro 3 if you look. You really should try harder to be factual.   But thanks for the laughs anyway ????????????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Excel said:

Nice try Transam, albeit a rather stupid one.  Firstly I was discussing commercial EV trucks if you had bothered to read my earlier post and the picture of the bus you posted is not a truck , well may be so in your eyes perhaps, and your picture of the Volvo truck has an ICU engine running on Euro 3 if you look. You really should try harder to be factual.   But thanks for the laughs anyway ????????????

The bus is built the same as a HGV, Chassis and loads of wheels with batteries to propel it...In Thailand...????

Just now, transam said:

The bus is built the same as a HGV, Chassis and loads of wheels with batteries to propel it...In Thailand...????

Now you really are appearing foolish but carry on as you are giving several of us a good laugh at your expense ????  

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Great, let me know your comments on below.....????

Now please read the link....1718456035_Electrictruck3.jpg.cc2dc5ebf01e06deb4063c7048c35fae.jpg

https://www.thaiautonews.net/new-products/foton-launches-electric-commercial-trucks/

That's better Transam, some facts at last. That really is good news and I stand corrected, but pleased that there is at least one supplier already.  Given it is a Chinese truck and knowing your opinion of Chinese produced vehicles as you have stated numerous times and also as you previously has suggested regarding the longevity of batteries in EV vehicles, do you concur with me,  or not, that the targeted 2035 date will most likely not be the year Thailands vehicle sales, both passenger and commercial will solely be EV vehicles only meeting  that deadline ?

Edited by Excel

5 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Quite a few EV trucks at the Korat EV expo I attended last month 

I hope that this new breed of transportation will be better than the majority of under-powered and overloaded trucks on Thailand's major roads at present.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Excel said:

Many (if not most) of the companies I listed are international firms, well-used to selling vehicles all around the world.

If there's a demand for EV commercial vehicles in Thailand (oh, I don't know, if the government announces an intention to move to all EV's by a certain date, for instance) then quite obviously they'll be more than happy to supply them.

• Like 1

It takes too long to charge. Imagine the queues at charging stations. Not viable until they get the charging times down.

And what is your ev car's residual value at age 8 years when the expensive battery needs replacing.

I wish they would make an ice that runs on Hydrogen instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just don't see Thailand being ready by 2035, at least not outside the big cities. And even then, how are Condo owners going to home-charge ? Are there car park spaces for every occupant that has a car, and will they each have charging posts ?   I don't believe that current technology is suitable for widescale adoption.  Is rural Thailand ready for 100% EV ?  Charging times too long is the main issue where it has to be done away from the home. I have no doubt that the technology will improve, but when ?  Fortunately existing petrol and diesel cars will go on for 10 or 20 years after that date. Petrol stations will convert over to being electric charging points but they would retain petrol/diesel pumps in small volumes.

14 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Fortunately existing petrol and diesel cars will go on for 10 or 20 years

How do you know this? It is getting difficult already, with only Caltex and PTT supplying the Benzine 95 that my car needs. Most manufacturers will stop making petrol / diesel cars by 2030. Some have stopped already.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

How do you know this? It is getting difficult already, with only Caltex and PTT supplying the Benzine 95 that my car needs. Most manufacturers will stop making petrol / diesel cars by 2030. Some have stopped already.

That's one concern I have, as our car uses E85, which is hard enough to find as it is.  Would think that would be one of the first to be discontinued.  We don't like paying 37 baht, would hate to have to pay 46, as a 25% increase.

44 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's one concern I have, as our car uses E85, which is hard enough to find as it is.  Would think that would be one of the first to be discontinued.  We don't like paying 37 baht, would hate to have to pay 46, as a 25% increase.

Whoa ... that's a wee bit more than I'd thought.  Car has 30k kms on it now, and at 9 baht more a liter, that's and extra 25k baht.  I can think of better things to spend that on instead of a different grade petrol.