Electric Vehicles in Thailand

7 hours ago, zoolander said:

Thanks. We will get another meter for the EV. 

It's to be installed in a car port, which is open on two sides. 

Shall wait and see what MG say and what they expects us to provide for them.

When I had mine installed, there was no mention of me needing another meter.

I don't understand why a second meter would be required.

8 hours ago, zoolander said:

Thanks. We will get another meter for the EV. 

It's to be installed in a car port, which is open on two sides. 

Shall wait and see what MG say and what they expects us to provide for them.

I think I understand now why you talked about a housing earlier: It's to protect it from the rain. Got it!

9 hours ago, macahoom said:

When I had mine installed, there was no mention of me needing another meter.

I don't understand why a second meter would be required.

Many house's existing wiring might not be up to code, should the Electric company come to inspect, it's probably safer/cheaper to install a separate circuit and meter than to upgrade wiring for the whole house, plus you can get TOU just for the EV meter in case of PEA so you don't have to have higher daytime rate for the rest of the house should you with to have the off peak rate

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, macahoom said:

Please let us know what your verdict is after driving your Good Cat for a few weeks. (What a strange name!)

If you buy an Ora Good Cat in the UK its had a name change new name for UK is Ora Funky Cat 

37 minutes ago, Klonko said:

Correction, the charger is on Plugshare. I forgot to change the vehicle in settings.

Show 2 CS along the route (G map), about mid way.  So don't see any problem, or shortage of CS.

image.png.edb00868f49b282b365023fa3fadc548.png

PS showing 1 additional, on 304, along with 7 more, if don't mind driving and extra 5 ish minutes off 304.

image.png.755653fca954666a602238b03afe752c.png

https://news.stanford.edu/2022/09/22/charging-cars-home-night-not-way-go/

More reports showing infrastructure is key in an EV adopted country, interesting to see Stanford go against many theories of at home charging being the key to EV's as well. 

I guess a few people owning EV's in Thailand hasn't stressed the grid out yet but once adoption happens it will, much like it is happening in China and US. 

On 9/22/2022 at 6:51 AM, seedy said:

Any condo owners / renters - or apartment renters reading this thread ?

Curious how many have EV charging points now, or under construction now, and whether they are slow, medium or quick rates.

Not interested in "plans" to install by 2035 or some misty, rose colored date in the future. We all know how promises are kept - both here in LOS and all other places on the globe.

"We will have ... In the Future ... Plans under way ... and my favorite - Soon" 555

Newer condos have them, even non-luxury condos, but only a few chargers (2-3) and people fight about them in group chats about people hogging chargers/not moving their cars right away.

Not practical to own an EV yet in Thailand if you live in a condo. 

Edited by dj230

3 hours ago, dj230 said:

https://news.stanford.edu/2022/09/22/charging-cars-home-night-not-way-go/

More reports showing infrastructure is key in an EV adopted country, interesting to see Stanford go against many theories of at home charging being the key to EV's as well. 

I guess a few people owning EV's in Thailand hasn't stressed the grid out yet but once adoption happens it will, much like it is happening in China and US. 

Newer condos have them, even non-luxury condos, but only a few chargers (2-3) and people fight about them in group chats about people hogging chargers/not moving their cars right away.

Not practical to own an EV yet in Thailand if you live in a condo. 

It will be very interesting to see how the grid will cope when EVs become more mainstream. One thing to note is that not all owners will charge every night. I guess for an average owner with an average EV, they might be charging twice a week, maybe even less? (Existing owners can confirm).

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

It will be very interesting to see how the grid will cope when EVs become more mainstream. One thing to note is that not all owners will charge every night. I guess for an average owner with an average EV, they might be charging twice a week, maybe even less? (Existing owners can confirm).

My driving locally, 10-13 kms a day, so once a month would be possible.

None of that is mandatory but what I usually do, and possibly equals many's commute.

On 9/18/2022 at 1:23 PM, roger101 said:

I had another look at DECO and the Family 2 looks more like what I want. Most of the time it will just carry 1 person. At 36,000 Baht it is something I'll have to give serious thought to as I said before it's 16,000 above my previous ceiling.

Hi, I have sent DECO 3 emails asking for more info and got nothing back.  Did you have any problems contacting them. Also can you tell me where you bought it, did you see it first and  do they deliver? All questions I expected DECO to answer.

1 minute ago, roger101 said:

Hi, I have sent DECO 3 emails asking for more info and got nothing back.  Did you have any problems contacting them. Also can you tell me where you bought it, did you see it first and  do they deliver? All questions I expected DECO to answer.

Guessing that's for me, I bought mine at EV Pranburi, almost local though 75 kms away.

Also popped into their manufacturing, warehouse facility since I was in the neighborhood.

Since I went to their showrooms contact was by me and yes they will deliver.

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Guessing that's for me, I bought mine at EV Pranburi, almost local though 75 kms away.

Also popped into their manufacturing, warehouse facility since I was in the neighborhood.

Since I went to their showrooms contact was by me and yes they will deliver.

As I live in Pattaya that's a bit too far. Any suggestions.

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I saw that study, currently where there are time of use electric rates they are not dynamically following the wholesale markets but are broadly fixed. “Economy 7” in the UK and TOU rate 10pm-9am in Thailand. EV owners aren’t stupid they will charge when rates are cheapest and smart chargers can be programmed to dynamically switch on an off as wholesale rates change. In the same way Solar producers like me shouldn’t be restricted by stupid rules in Thailand. I produce more power than my house and car can use, but I am not allowed to sell back to the grid at all. 

With solar, house batteries and an EV in Thailand I attempt to load shift to match consumption with times when I am producing the most power, so I charge my EV in the middle of the day and my freezer is on a timer to switch off at night. 

Teslas virtually power plant in California uses customers powerwalls to sell electricity at times of peak demand. That model can be expanded to include EVs. 

Thailand unfortunately seems very slow adapt to these new ideas of a distributed power grid 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I saw that study, currently where there are time of use electric rates they are not dynamically following the wholesale markets but are broadly fixed. “Economy 7” in the UK and TOU rate 10pm-9am in Thailand. EV owners aren’t stupid they will charge when rates are cheapest and smart chargers can be programmed to dynamically switch on an off as wholesale rates change. In the same way Solar producers like me shouldn’t be restricted by stupid rules in Thailand. I produce more power than my house and car can use, but I am not allowed to sell back to the grid at all. 

With solar, house batteries and an EV in Thailand I attempt to load shift to match consumption with times when I am producing the most power, so I charge my EV in the middle of the day and my freezer is on a timer to switch off at night. 

Teslas virtually power plant in California uses customers powerwalls to sell electricity at times of peak demand. That model can be expanded to include EVs. 

Thailand unfortunately seems very slow adapt to these new ideas of a distributed power grid 

Your post raised a few questions in my mind.

You said you’re not allowed to sell back to the grid? Is this because your local PEA can’t manage this or because you’re completely off grid? My solar power installer is currently in the process of liaising with PEA to install a TOU meter as well organise selling any excess power I produce back to the grid.

You also mentioned switching off your freezer at night. This can be simply done by plugging in a smart switch, controlled via an app. Does this really save a significant amount? I have a chest freezer as well as a huge double door fridge and two other normal fridges. I already have my instant hot cold water filter (drinking water) on such a plug.

22 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Your post raised a few questions in my mind.

You said you’re not allowed to sell back to the grid? Is this because your local PEA can’t manage this or because you’re completely off grid? My solar power installer is currently in the process of liaising with PEA to install a TOU meter as well organise selling any excess power I produce back to the grid.

You also mentioned switching off your freezer at night. This can be simply done by plugging in a smart switch, controlled via an app. Does this really save a significant amount? I have a chest freezer as well as a huge double door fridge and two other normal fridges. I already have my instant hot cold water filter (drinking water) on such a plug.

5kW of PV is the maximum solar you can have on single phase, so my system is too big to be allowed to feedback. 

I have smart switches which shut off phantom loads at night. The chest freezer is loaded up with ice and we don’t open it at night. It probably doesn’t save too much but every little counts. We have an ice making machine which just runs in the middle of the day. 

My free mg wall box is dumb. I am looking at replacing it with a smart wall charger that matches EV charging rate to my solar production. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roger101 said:

As I live in Pattaya that's a bit too far. Any suggestions.

As others stated, there's a dealer in Patts.  Maybe more within the area,as there were two in Hua Him / Pranburi area.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

My free mg wall box is dumb. I am looking at replacing it with a smart wall charger that matches EV charging rate to my solar production. 

Really, keep us apprised when you get that sorted ...????

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

5kW of PV is the maximum solar you can have on single phase, so my system is too big to be allowed to feedback. 

I have smart switches which shut off phantom loads at night. The chest freezer is loaded up with ice and we don’t open it at night. It probably doesn’t save too much but every little counts. We have an ice making machine which just runs in the middle of the day. 

The 2 smart chargers I’ve heard of are Zappi and Hypervolt I believe.

There’s a very good YT channel called Artisan Electrics. They install a lot of chargers. Those guys look like they really know their stuff.

Edited by Gweiloman
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

The 2 smart chargers I’ve heard of are Zappi and Hypervolt I believe.

There’s a very good YT channel called Artisan Electrics. They install a lot of chargers. Those guys look like they really know their stuff.

I follow Artisan electrics and have posted one of their videos in this thread.

I have contacted My Energi about the Zappi and they will ship to Thailand. It costs about £1,000. You don’t need the hub anymore as it’s built into the latest Zappi. The Harvi comes one ct clamp costs £50. I will need CT clamps for my grid connection, solar and batteries. 

I plan to join the My Energi forum. Also the MG EV Forum podcast has a plan to interview Jordan Brompton from My Energi so I might join that one.

301220C4-F5AC-4D1D-93ED-ED22191982A9.jpeg.0a687e0cd67f8fe89bb5db981dd9c4dc.jpeg

• Thanks 1