Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

My Free MG wall charger is dumb. I switch it on and authenticate with an RFID card. It starts charging immediately and stops when the car says it is full.

I guess you deliberately didn't mention the cell balancing the MG does after reaching 100% charge.

No point unnecessarily complicating this thread.

Oops! I just did!

I could be wrong, but I think MG is the only EV that balances the cells automatically after being charged to 100%.

Edited by macahoom

8 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I guess you deliberately didn't mention the cell balancing the MG does after reaching 100% charge.

Oops! I just did!

I could be wrong, but I think MG is the only EV that has to be balanced.

Just going to link to this thread on the MG EV Forum for anybody who wants to know more

https://www.mgevs.com/threads/battery-balancing.2787/

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Oops! I just did!

I could be wrong, but I think MG is the only EV that balances the cells automatically after being charged to 100%.

I believe both line of thinking, don't full charge & full charge are correct ... sort of.

My limited experience with and reading about LiPo of different materials, and seems consensus is, constant full charging does stress the battery.  Maybe why you always see 'charging from 30-80% in so so time".

BUT ... full charging occasionally, so battery cells balance is also important, so one cell doesn't krap out, going below minimum voltage, and compromise the rest of the battery bank, since most are a combination of series & parallel connections.

Also why, if & when the time comes for battery replacement, the whole bank rarely needs to be replace now, and just the 'low' voltage cells need tending to.

Not sure if necessary, but we made sure the house had 30A service, with an open breaker slot (30A) waiting for the MG charger install.  I believe the usual is 15A service from PEA for residential.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ignis said:

Thai friend has the new MG VS 

but needed home Electric changed as  three-phase power is needed for charging

Is that true ? 

With a maximum current of 16A, a 3-phase charging station delivers a charging power of 11 kW, which is three times faster than a 1-phase charging station. A battery with a capacity of 60 kW is then charged in less than 6 hours (instead of 16 hours).

https://www.soolutions.company/hello-world/

Some deliver over 20 Kw - link is for their chargers

Edited by seedy

17 minutes ago, ignis said:

Thai friend has the new MG VS 

but needed home Electric changed as  three-phase power is needed for charging

Is that true ? 

That comment does not surprise me at all. The company that MG chose to install my wall box said that 30A was a PEA requirement  - I didn't believe them and checked with PEA  -They said it isn't a requirement and also isn't necessary for a 7kW load if you don't have other high loads in the house.

There is a great deal of ignorance around EVs and Solar in Thailand as a result there are a great deal of "myths" floating about. If someone tells you something that doesn't smell right it's probably ????????

Some clarification regarding wall boxes and chargers:

Wall boxes are very often referred to as chargers. They are not chargers. The chargers are in the cars.

A wall box provides power at a higher rate than a standard three-pin plug socket.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Wall boxes are very often referred to as chargers. They are not chargers. The chargers are in the cars.

A wall box provides power at a higher rate than a standard three-pin plug socket.

You are correct, but as WallBox is now a trade name there is some potential confusion

711DA231FbL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.9f228ac10071e0b5c9f976b0c1911a20.jpg

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

I believe the correct term for the ‘wall box’ is EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment). 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Maybe I should explain the difference between dumb and smart wall chargers.

My Free MG wall charger is dumb. I switch it on and authenticate with an RFID card. It starts charging immediately and stops when the car says it is full. If I wanted to use it with a TOU meter with it I would have to start it a 10pm manually. If I set the power to the charger to come on at 10pm automatically I would still have authenticate with the RFID card (maybe I could stick the RFID card permanently to the face of the charger - never tried that)

The 2.3kW granny charger can be plugged into a smart socket and doesn’t need RFID so could be set to come on at 10pm.

Tesla’s wall charger is dumb but the car is smart so you can set charge time and % in the car or on the app.

The Zappi can set charge times; you can choose to only use solar - so charging rates will rise and fall with solar production; only use solar after your house batteries are full;  It can integrate with smart tariffs and only charge with cheap rates. 

Currently I charge my car when it’s sunny and try to remember to switch it off if gets too dark  - which doesn’t always happen ????

Thanks for the concise explanation. 

There’s another YouTuber, petrol ped, who installed a zappi. I find the different components, evse, hub, harvi etc a bit confusing and complicated. The hypervolt unit seems more straightforward and future proof.

Problem is I wonder if local electricians have the necessary expertise and knowledge to install such units.

15 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Well spotted @Andrew Dwyer - I missed that completely ????

If it is the MG VS  - then there no plug hole to plug into. 

Either a ZS EV or an HS PHEV …….. or the Thai owner is confused ????.

Saw the VS at a mall recently, looks nice, the unusual grill I’m not too sure about though !

DFB7DECD-ED49-4D84-8E54-ED5B65DA8719.jpeg.6e60f1a4ad561be27f325a162b3a67e6.jpeg

2FAE0E51-F06E-46E9-8823-309EE53FD43F.thumb.png.08bfb8ffee4a0679010f96e9fba3e260.png

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Thanks for the concise explanation. 

There’s another YouTuber, petrol ped, who installed a zappi. I find the different components, evse, hub, harvi etc a bit confusing and complicated. The hypervolt unit seems more straightforward and future proof.

Problem is I wonder if local electricians have the necessary expertise and knowledge to install such units.

I contacted WallBox as they claim the Copper SB Socket supports solar, but when I downloaded the manual and installation manual there was no mention of CT clamps or solar. I asked them why and haven't heard back from them.

As I have an existing EVSE???? fitting a replacement will be quite straight forward, so I will do it myself. The problem comes with connecting the Harvi CT clamps. I have joined the MyEnergi forum now so can ask about Battery CT clamp placement.

20221005_045736000_iOS.thumb.jpg.92fca211d32d2b8a92c9cdcdf1aefe6d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

I believe the correct term for the ‘wall box’ is EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment). 

Yes, but I'm not sure if that will be adopted as the standard nomenclature; it doesn't quite roll of the tongue!

If it ends up that wall box is commonly used, Wallbox (the company) will be very pleased. A bit like Hoover and Tannoy.

I like charging dock.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

As others stated, there's a dealer in Patts.  Maybe more within the area,as there were two in Hua Him / Pranburi area.

I'll have to leave it for a couple of months. My TV packed up, I was hoping that it was the Remote but no such luck, So a 36,000 Baht  purchase will have to wait a little while. Mind you with the weather at the moment  I wasn't looking forward to the ride to Bang Saen.

18 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

My Free MG wall charger is dumb. I switch it on and authenticate with an RFID card. It starts charging immediately and stops when the car says it is full. If I wanted to use it with a TOU meter with it I would have to start it a 10pm manually. If I set the power to the charger to come on at 10pm automatically I would still have authenticate with the RFID card (maybe I could stick the RFID card permanently to the face of the charger - never tried that)

Paul - I already mentioned to you on another thread that the MG wall charger can be programmed to operate without the RFD card. In that mode, it is possible to use a timer or via an app to operate the charger timed to your choosing.

I believe the RFD card is for chargers installed in public places, for private properties it makes no sense. Pity the installer could not instruct how to use the charger properly. If you need help to set up the charger sans RFD card, let me know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Paul - I already mentioned to you on another thread that the MG wall charger can be programmed to operate without the RFD card. In that mode, it is possible to use a timer or via an app to operate the charger timed to your choosing.

I believe the RFD card is for chargers installed in public places, for private properties it makes no sense. Pity the installer could not instruct how to use the charger properly. If you need help to set up the charger sans RFD card, let me know.

I charge when my solar system is producing excess power over and above what the house and home batteries need.

For safety reasons I keep the wall box powered down at it’s local breaker so this is an additional step for me before changing.

I do not need timed charging but maybe others do, so post instructions here and I’m sure others would appreciate it. 

11 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I charge when my solar system is producing excess power over and above what the house and home batteries need.

For safety reasons I keep the wall box powered down at it’s local breaker so this is an additional step for me before changing.

I do not need timed charging but maybe others do, so post instructions here and I’m sure others would appreciate it. 

You are funny - a timer or remote controlled switch is of course doing exactly that, turning the charging pile on when you want to charge.....or are you one of those individuals that wears suspenders and a belt?   ????

As for programming the charging pile to work without RFD card, this is how to proceed:

IMPORTANT: on the phone with the MG app running, Bluetooth, location, WiFi and cell services ALL have to be turned on.

go into the charging menu via the 'Charging' icon

Step 1: connect the phone to the charging pile via Bluetooth while the car is connected to the wall-box and charging

Step 2: click on the icon per arrow 2

Step 3: on the new window that opens, select card free

Step 4: a new window pops open, slide the selector to 'on', save, exit

VOILA! no RFD card is required ever again, life is easy, life is good.......no worries anymore!

Screenshot_20221006_133813.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, seedy said:

vehicle status - ABNORMAL

yeah........modern idiot tech - did a tire rotation front to back, now the TPMS is confused. We told the dealer to re-code, dealer - yes we did........well, obviously did NOT! now that's annoying