Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 10/7/2022 at 11:17 PM, edwinchester said:

So an extra 450k bht for 120kms of extra battery range and plugin charging.....I'm out. Quarter million too much.

Yes, I was disappointed, a 1.4/1.5 million tag would have peaked my interest but a little out of my budget range. 

13 minutes ago, ignis said:

You cannot trust this site to give accurate Thai prices.

For example: If you check their price for a Porsche Taycan, they quote about 50% of the Thai price. They just take the US price and convert to baht. 

Note: I'm not saying those quoted BYD prices are definitely wrong, just that they may be.

Edited by macahoom
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ignis said:

This site includes a price for the BYD Han in Thai Baht - I assume just a conversion of the price in China. So it’s not an actuate price list of BYD cars in Thailand. 

BYD has categorically said that “its older vehicles, including the Han sedan and Tang SUV, won't be built in right-hand drive. Everything we're bringing in the right-hand-drive market is either on the 3.0 platform or future platforms, where the Han and the Tang are built on a different platform that is not coming to right-hand-drive markets”

https://www.drive.com.au/news/byd-han-tang-song-ruled-out-for-australia/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From one site, to compare with the familiar MG ZS for most folks:

"The Atto 3's body dimensions are 4455 mm long, 1,875 mm wide, 1,615 mm tall, 2,720 mm wheelbase and 175 mm ground clearance, which is larger than the ZS EV in almost every dimension."

That's a bit of a stretch, but true;

4455/4323

1875/1809

1615/1649

2720/2585

175/161

Looking good, w/blade battery, and bit more range ????

https://www.autofun.co.th/news/2022-byd-atto-3-price-spec-annoucement-55248

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Klonko said:

Ora GoodCat 500 Ultra first impressions 

Last Friday we collected our Ora GoodCat Ultra 500 from the dealer. We ordered the car in March and could have it delivered in May, but waited while we spent the summer in Europe. Total cost including tinted foils, VCR, window deflectors and wall box was THB 1 Mio.

We purchased the car based on specs, Björn Nyland's videos, a short test ride, and in comparison with the Tesla Model 3 AWD Long Range  2020 which I drive in Europe and the Honda City 2015 which had been our car here to date. Other BEV with the same or more range are more expensive and mostly available in 2023 only.

The GUI is overloaded. Too many buttons and steps for my taste. Navigation is in Thai only but (1) I am more motivated to improve my Thai skills and (2) I can also use navigation apps with Apple CarPlay. Switching between Apple CarPlay and car menus requires a workaround. Voice commands are in Thai only.

Acceleration is good, regeneration braking acceptable. One pedal drive is harsh for parking and driving off and needs to be activated before each drive. I do not yet use it and brake to come to a complete stop. Adaptive cruise control and lane assistance work effectively, except at higher speeds when approaching  stopped cars ahead. Apart from that, I consider drive assistants overall as good as in the Tesla. Blind spot detection is good. Lights for night driving would be good but we have tinted windows. Rear window view in heavy rain is acceptable despite the missing rear wiper.

AC is working with less draft than in the Honda. It has a heating function for Northern Thailand. The ride is more comfortable than in the Honda. If you are looking for a sporty ride, choose another car. Sound insulation could be better, but overall noise level is lower   than the Honda. Seats are comfortable for me (185 cm). Seat memory is not usable because it requires cumbersome account change in the car menu. Not all functionalities as per manual are activated or installed (e.g. seat ventilation) for Thailand. The GWM app includes AC control, battery information, scheduled charging, charging map and booking services.

For our two person household without a farm, space is ample. The rear seats have more leg room than the Honda. However, luggage capacity is limited for 4-5 people traveling.

We have the two color white/turquoise version. Full white is more practical in hot weather but we did not like its dark interior. If looking for other colors, check with actual cars as the photos are misleading. We have good quality tinted foils and may not need and get rid of the wind deflectors.

After AC-charging to 90% over night the first time, the 12V-battery was dead at noon next day. Within an hour, a mechanic showed up at our house, as I did not have a jump starter. I know now that the AC-cable must be unhooked after charging to protect the 12V-battery.

I position the GoodCat, which costs 40% of the Tesla's European price, closer to the Tesla than the Honda. The drive feels good and is smoother than in a BMW X1 Hybrid. There are a some operating glitches which must be accustomed to and may require some enthusiasm for a BEV. I am happy with the Ora GoodCat and do not see an alternative for me for the time being.

Reporting on range and charging will follow.

Great report - thanks for sharing and keep us posted on any updates.

My MG has voice control and sometimes it understands me better than my Thai gf - that really pisses her off.

• Haha 2

On 10/7/2022 at 11:17 PM, edwinchester said:

So an extra 450k bht for 120kms of extra battery range and plugin charging.....I'm out. Quarter million too much.

PHEVs sales are basically dead in Europe, everyone wants to have pure EV.

Reasons amongst are the high price and additional cost for maintenance.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, CLW said:

PHEVs sales are basically dead in Europe, everyone wants to have pure EV.

Reasons amongst are the high price and additional cost for maintenance.

Long way to go before ICE and PHEV are dead in Europe

Despite the strong increase in sales seen in recent years, alternatively-powered passenger cars still make up only 5.3% of the total EU car fleet. Battery electric cars and plug-in hybrids account for just 0.5% and 0.6% of the fleet, while 1.2% of all cars on EU roads are hybrid electric – see page 14.

https://www.acea.auto/publication/report-vehicles-in-use-europe-2022/

• Like 1

Big holiday like Songkran sees even petrol station packed with queues on certain routes, 

with limited DC quick charge spots, longer ranged plug in hybrids makes sense only for some people. 

The H6 PHEV almost have enough real world range to last most people's monday-friday commute without needing to switch to petrol,

but if you managed to fit your lifestyle around keeping it in EV mode, charging overnight if you live in a house that can manage it, or public charger every couple of days if you live in a condo without charging spot... then you won't be able to enjoy the less maintenance/servicing of a pure EV, sure the scheduled serviced plan is included, but there's also higher initial cost of the PHEV

If you are committed enough to keep the PHEV in EV mode only for most of your use, it might be cheaper to get a proper EV and rent ICE cars for the trip upcountry. 

But if you want to fil and forget and just use whatever's convenient, without having to plan your life around charging, then PHEV will let you enjoy the savings from being an EV for sure

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Do at least some basic research before reposting rubbish you find on the internet!

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/10/07/florida-state-fire-marshal-tells-crazy-lie-about-evs/

Remember this discussion is about EVs in Thailand. There are plenty of other treads for EV bashers.

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Do at least some basic research before reposting rubbish you find on the internet!

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/10/07/florida-state-fire-marshal-tells-crazy-lie-about-evs/

Remember this discussion is about EVs in Thailand. There are plenty of other treads for EV bashers.

So the video of firefighters around a burning EV is fake?

You're right, there are other threads that can accept a balanced view of EV's - the positives and the negatives. That's not bashing, it's rational thinking.

You think you are saving the planet? If the world converted to EV's overnight, it would reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 8%. Coal, oil and natural gas are the major contributors.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You're right, there are other threads that can accept a balanced view of EV's - the positives and the negatives. That's not bashing, it's rational thinking.

You think you are saving the planet? If the world converted to EV's overnight, it would reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 8%. Coal, oil and natural gas are the major contributors.

:offtopic:

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

:offtopic:

The only items that are on topic on this thread consist of positives, no discussion of negatives allowed. One hand clapping.

Have you heard of V2L ? That technology is on the latest MG EV's. Basically, the car battery can be connected to a household to power appliances in the event of a grid failure, or cut costs by feeding in electrons during times of peak tariffs.

Creating a thread which only permits positive references is of little value to prospective EV buyers.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have no reason to believe the video is a fake but all it provides evidence of is one fire with one vehicle. It is not evidence of "tons" of vehicles catching fire.

As the statement from the US National Fire Protection Association in the link from @Lacessitputs it, such fires, although possible, are "not a common occurrence."

As the article also points out the person making the claim is someone with no expertise in firefighting. He's a restaurateur-turned-politician who, as the state's CFO, gets the title of state fire marshal only because the state's organisational structure puts the fire marshal office under the CFO.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I have no reason to believe the video is a fake but all it provides evidence of is one fire with one vehicle. It is not evidence of "tons" of vehicles catching fire.

As the statement from the US National Fire Protection Association in the link from @Lacessitputs it, such fires, although possible, are "not a common occurrence."

As the article also points out the person making the claim is someone with no expertise in firefighting. He's a restaurateur-turned-politician who, as the state's CFO, gets the title of state fire marshal only because the state's organisational structure puts the fire marshal office under the CFO.about a

ICE vehicles have stored energy, in the form of fossil fuel. EV's have stored energy as electricity.

You may be right, the person making the claim is wildly exaggerating. However, there is a ship at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, with the most probable cause thought to be an EV fire.

The point I am making is ICE producers have had nearly a century to get the stored energy of the vehicle into a safe condition. Permit me to doubt the stored energy of an EV has reached that level, given the pace with which automotive manufacturers are attempting to achieve market share with EV's.

IMO current EV owners are lab rats. While I think EV's will eventually replace ICE's entirely, I see no reason to become one myself.

What is the biggest selling vehicle in Thailand? An Isuzu pickup. There's several reasons for that.

On 10/10/2022 at 2:37 PM, josephbloggs said:

Does anyone on here own a Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric?

I have seen a few around and they look cool, would be keen to hear of any first hand experience as I am interested.

@josephbloggs Sorry for the late reply. I knew that we had at least one post over the last 31 pages but it took a while to find. 

@Ludzilla reported on a test drive of the XC40 electric back on May 31 - you find his post on page 8 of this thread