Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 5/25/2022 at 7:29 AM, KhunLA said:

Damn nice car, great range & feature packed.  ฿3m in the real world.

Almost reasonable.

But ฿8.6 on the way to ฿9m here  ...  ????

I just ordered 2.
One for me and one for the future girlfriend.
We have to impress when driving to the village.

• Haha 1

As I have previously posted here (page 1 of this thread) BYD plans to build a right hand drive EV factory in Thailand and so would be eligible for Thai EV incentives

They have just launched a BYD Thailand website which gives us an indication of what cars will be available in Thailand.       

https://www.bydthai.com/en/

The car that interests me most is the BYD Han with it's 76.9 kWh Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) Blade Batteries and V2L (Vehicle to Load). It is also available as a PHEV which is probably explains the reference to 1,400km range in the video below!

The base EV model is rear-wheel drive with a reported (NEDC) of 605 km (376 mi). It is powered by a 163 kW (219 hp) electric motor that can accelerate from 0 to 100 kph in 7.9 seconds. There are two versions of this base model: the basic "Luxury" model costs USD $32,800, while the more featured "Majestic" model costs USD 36,500 with extra advanced driver-assistance systems, blind spot detection, better stereo systems and other comfort options.

The high-performance "Flagship" model is four-wheel drive with an additional 200 kW (270 hp) front motor, bringing the total power output to 363 kW (487 hp), and reportedly can accelerate from 0 to 100 kph in just 3.9 seconds. It is rated at a NEDC all-electric range of 550 km (340 mi) with more added features than the "Majestic" model, and costs $40,000.

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Wouldnt buy one as there is no charging network available. Also if I have to wait a couple of hours for the batteries to charge it is going to make a long journey even longer.

Additionally the batteries dont last forever and are expensive. Environmentally, how will they dispose of the old batteries when you replace them, assuming you can afford to replace them?

wrong - wrong & wrong.  Try reading the thread, or the ICE vs EV thread, or even some minor research.  You're either very ignorant about EVs in Thailand, or simply trolling.

After you're research, pop over to this thread, and enter into an intelligent debate:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1246109-ice-vs-ev-the-debate-thread/#comment-17105595

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

You are very optimistic to be sure and disposal of the old batteries is a well known problem.

It is a well known problem. Look at the rubbish around the country now and does anyone really believe that getting rid of the batteries will help solve the problem?

Maybe time to post a general introduction to EVs in Thailand for those who might be interested. 

An MG would a good place to start as they are probably the most established brand for EVs in Thailand.

An MG EP EV  (known as MG 5 in Europe) is a good value car with 23% Government EV discount 771,000 Baht on the road including a free Home charger installed. The NEDC quoted range is 380km from it's 50.3kWh battery.

588473234_MG5.jpg.78b754751969c85cfac69bafb6cba5d1.jpg

On a long trip you could stop into an MG showroom and 20 minutes for a toilet break and a free coffee would add another 150km of range, but most of your charging would be done at home. A second TOU meter would allow you to charge using cheap rate overnight electric

2135942386_MEATimeOfRate.jpg.435bfd02ce00b1f821cd97d2bbb4bb0d.jpg

100% overnight charge would cost 132 Baht to give you up to 380km of range. If like me you have solar, you can dump excess solar production into your car and drive it for free. 

Where can you charge? MG dealers are the place to go for fast DC charging

1148932697_MGcharger.jpg.50e607e0a933e5de438e8539be98d880.jpg

But MG isn't the only place to charge (thanks to @Sophon for posting this from evat.or.th )

EVAT-Charging_Station.thumb.jpg.65d3ba13195410ef55dfa408a2486e30.jpg

Alternatively a MG HS PHEV would give you more luxury, a range of 70km on Battery which is enough for most daily journeys and an ICE   

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

As I have previously posted here (page 1 of this thread) BYD plans to build a right hand drive EV factory in Thailand and so would be eligible for Thai EV incentives

They have just launched a BYD Thailand website which gives us an indication of what cars will be available in Thailand.       

https://www.bydthai.com/en/

The car that interests me most is the BYD Han with it's 76.9 kWh Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) Blade Batteries and V2L (Vehicle to Load). It is also available as a PHEV which is probably explains the reference to 1,400km range in the video below!

The base EV model is rear-wheel drive with a reported (NEDC) of 605 km (376 mi). It is powered by a 163 kW (219 hp) electric motor that can accelerate from 0 to 100 kph in 7.9 seconds. There are two versions of this base model: the basic "Luxury" model costs USD $32,800, while the more featured "Majestic" model costs USD 36,500 with extra advanced driver-assistance systems, blind spot detection, better stereo systems and other comfort options.

The high-performance "Flagship" model is four-wheel drive with an additional 200 kW (270 hp) front motor, bringing the total power output to 363 kW (487 hp), and reportedly can accelerate from 0 to 100 kph in just 3.9 seconds. It is rated at a NEDC all-electric range of 550 km (340 mi) with more added features than the "Majestic" model, and costs $40,000.

still no information on potential release dates

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

You should watch this a little more carefully to see how silly it really is. 

The elephant (s) missing from that room are the following points - 

Where do the materials come from to make said batteries? 

How & who are mining these?

Afore mentioned magical elements are finite - unless they are the magic ones then I shall shut up?

Huge (like PROPER BIG) increases in power consumption require (to the astonishment of no-one) more power which comes from?

That said I would and am considering an electric vehicle as a 2nd car - I have the ability to charge at home, I'm home daily & my daily commute is 50 km max 

3 minutes ago, eezergood said:

The elephant (s) missing from that room are the following points - 

Where do the materials come from to make said batteries? 

How & who are mining these?

Afore mentioned magical elements are finite - unless they are the magic ones then I shall shut up?

Huge (like PROPER BIG) increases in power consumption require (to the astonishment of no-one) more power which comes from?

That said I would and am considering an electric vehicle as a 2nd car - I have the ability to charge at home, I'm home daily & my daily commute is 50 km max 

It was amusing. While they do talk about where lithium is minds, and the are careful to point out how much energy was "wasted" getting oil out of the ground, they left out how much oil is burned getting the lithium out of the ground...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, eezergood said:

still no information on potential release dates

I spoke with a number of senior BYD staff (not sales girls)  at the recent Korat EV show and they could not give me any firm dates. Wheels are in motion but there is clearly a lot of Thai paperwork to wade through first.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I spoke with a number of senior BYD staff (not sales girls)  at the recent Korat EV show and they could not give me any firm dates. Wheels are in motion but there is clearly a lot of Thai paperwork to wade through first.  

within the year?

45 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of EV's currently available in Thailand? perhaps including those that will be available within the year? Domestically available only 

I posted this pic earlier in the discussion.

The problem worldwide currently is that all EVs are delayed due to multiple problems: rampant demand for EVs due to rising cost of fossil fuel; chip shortages; battery supply cannot meet demand; Shanghai Covid lockdown; Ukraine wiring harness factories have been shuttered by the Russian invasion, forcing them to curtail production.  MG has told me that the made in Thailand HS PHEV is the only car they have stock of, all others are delayed 6 months plus 

FLn50s-aIAIWqiB.thumb.jpg.87311e5574b5e67265c5f2acc935f89a.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

they could not give me any firm dates

Ditto.  Simply told if not delivered (MG) within 6 months, then deposit will be refunded, if wanting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2022 at 9:07 AM, Bandersnatch said:

MG update from Korat Show.

MG HS PHEV gets a refresh  - just seems to be cosmetic outside. It comes in 2 model trims D and X

20220520_060005047_iOS.thumb.jpg.a1a972b2095118bc148fff263ffd41c0.jpg

20220520_060013786_iOS.thumb.jpg.d117e6b1659abae2b40db002790093f5.jpg

The new model MG ZS EV was there as well and looks great. Much improved inside. The battery capacity has increased from 44kWh to 50.3kWh. Unfortunately we won't be getting the Long Range with the 72.6 kWh battery available in the UK. It also comes in 2 model trims D and X

20220520_083339632_iOS.thumb.jpg.704afe476eee508e57aec6cb647fd210.jpg20220520_083334847_iOS.thumb.jpg.d32a53ccdd687a44c54e9b23f363f003.jpg20220520_083358673_iOS.thumb.jpg.0dd794f519af351da6d27f4d8a491ce0.jpg20220520_083349784_iOS.thumb.jpg.1bc7092d9c5d2d5c8fb225d78fda2c46.jpg20220520_083442525_iOS.thumb.jpg.6c0da34fa79db98216eb97294bb8f49d.jpg

Good car but that front end looks terrible and the wheels cheap and nasty. Shame they couldn't replicate the grill on the PHEV imho.

8 Pages and no mention of the volvo's. FYI i went today to Phuket dealer and was told the bookings are closed for the XC40 recharge pure electric Tho the C40 recharge pure electric can still be ordered with an estimated delivery time for the last quarter of this year

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ludzilla said:

8 Pages and no mention of the volvo's. FYI i went today to Phuket dealer and was told the bookings are closed for the XC40 recharge pure electric Tho the C40 recharge pure electric can still be ordered with an estimated delivery time for the last quarter of this year

Thanks @Ludzilla I must admit I am not an expert on volvos , so thanks for the update  - last quarter of this year is not bad considering the global situation.

Would you mind updating us on the specs/prices and what you think of the cars? I am sure it would be appreciated.  

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 6:37 PM, Bandersnatch said:

I posted this pic earlier in the discussion.

The problem worldwide currently is that all EVs are delayed due to multiple problems: rampant demand for EVs due to rising cost of fossil fuel; chip shortages; battery supply cannot meet demand; Shanghai Covid lockdown; Ukraine wiring harness factories have been shuttered by the Russian invasion, forcing them to curtail production.  MG has told me that the made in Thailand HS PHEV is the only car they have stock of, all others are delayed 6 months plus 

FLn50s-aIAIWqiB.thumb.jpg.87311e5574b5e67265c5f2acc935f89a.jpg

thank you - sorry I didnt see this earlier - certainly makes the MG EP wagon look like a class leader in terms of bang for buck 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eezergood said:

thank you - sorry I didnt see this earlier - certainly makes the MG EP wagon look like a class leader in terms of bang for buck 

Especially when the incentive brings the price down to ฿771k

image.png.ca9673a34dbc4689cf55dacee0b50209.png

• Like 2