Electric Vehicles in Thailand

8 minutes ago, Excel said:

Of course for short hops or city bound folk an EV  is usable, but as I illustrated, out in the provinces it is not yet a practical alternative for long journeys due to lack of charging stations so hence if you can not charge why would you buy one ?.

Just because you didn’t see any chargers doesn’t mean that don’t exist. 

7941B5EA-B2EE-4FEF-9FC0-437F5FB5B597.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bandersnatch said:

Just because you didn’t see any chargers doesn’t mean that don’t exist. 

7941B5EA-B2EE-4FEF-9FC0-437F5FB5B597.jpeg

Oh dear, already seen that. and of course they exist in some places so go back to read my post.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

88AF5C27-06FC-4DDE-AB35-433D4DEFDA80.jpeg.bde22ff30c1356e59521f14a6ed31137.jpeg

Not my route so please read my post yet again as it is significantly slower due to road conditions .  By the way this thread is not about your ability to get directions from Google maps or about advising of various routes that are available !!!!!   As I said had you had read my post properly "no charging stations that I have seen on my route",  and you would or have should have read I said Phitsanulok province, Not Phitsanulok

Edited by Excel
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Excel said:

What a stupid response. Why buy or "own" if you can not use the vehicle.

One could say, why do you comment on the unavailability of, unless YOU know as fact, from experience.

I have no fear in availability of charging stations in Thailand, so I'm buying in.   Ask me next year, I'll let you know how things are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Of course for short hops or city bound folk an EV  is usable, but as I illustrated, out in the provinces it is not yet a practical alternative for long journeys due to lack of charging stations so hence if you can not charge why would you buy one ?.

Currently, we would need to have two cars, and EV and a standard diesel for longer journeys. I don't see that as being very "green". Yesterday we did an unexpected  trip to visit a sick family member, Chiang Rai province to Chiang Mai and back in the same day, it was probably 500km return and of course over hilly terrain, bad for battery range, and return journey was in darkness. Tell me how that would be possible with current EVs ? We were only there for 2 hours at most, how much charge would a standard 230v outlet have given ?  Charging points at local MG dealer or shopping malls is irrelevant for that scenario. I'd love to have just an EV as a sole car, but it is the range more than anything else that is critical to me. That will come of course, as battery technology and technology in general improves. So, yes to an EV but "not yet" is my current view. It is great to see the government is providing some subsidies for sure.

44 minutes ago, Excel said:

Not my route so please read my post yet again as it is significantly slower due to road conditions .  By the way this thread is not about your ability to get directions from Google maps or about advising of various routes that are available !!!!!   As I said had you had read my post properly "no charging stations that I have seen on my route",  and you would or have should have read I said Phitsanulok province, Not Phitsanulok

Then talk to us, like the idiots you think we are.   Your definition of 'provinces' ?

If living in the provinces, up, down or around country, would you not be charging from home.  If not, then yes, buying would need a bit more research & consideration. 

Where I am, I can't go 180 kms and NOT charge up, if wanting.  Considering I'm in between Hua Hin & Chumphon, that's considered fairly rural, and still have 3 locally, that I know of, without looking for.  Local MG to MG Chumphon is 180 kms, and I haven't searched what if any in between.  I know there's more than a few on the way to Hua Hin, only 100 kms away.

If like myself, and have been on out & abouts around the whole country, looking at the available charging stations, I don't see many, if any 300 km gaps between stations.  Along with, using your 'granny' charger at you guesthouse, if it comes down to that.

You are obviously only looking at one source for charging stations.  Each vendor has their app w/locations, along with one site provided on this thread numerous times, and just about all inclusive, 'PlugShare', so please search that and find a 300 kms gap for us.

I find 'lack of charging stations' the worst reason to avoid EVs, at present anyway.  Since few EVs on the road.

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Then talk to us, like the idiots you think we are.   Your definition of 'provinces' ?

If living in the provinces, up, down or around country, would you not be charging from home.  If not, then yes, buying would need a bit more research & consideration. 

Where I am, I can't go 180 kms and NOT charge up, if wanting.  Considering I'm in between Hua Hin & Chumphon, that's considered fairly rural, and still have 3 locally, that I know of, without looking for.  Local MG to MG Chumphon is 180 kms, and I haven't searched what if any in between.  I know there's more than a few on the way to Hua Hin, only 100 kms away.

If like myself, and have been on out & abouts around the whole country, looking at the available charging stations, I don't see many, if any 300 km gaps between stations.  Along with, using your 'granny' charger at you guesthouse, if it comes down to that.

You are obviously only looking at one source for charging stations.  Each vendor has their app w/locations, along with one site provided on this thread numerous times, and just about all inclusive, 'PlugShare', so please search that and find a 300 kms gap for us.

I can just imagine all the MG dealer car park full of folk like you, all queuing up for juice, picnic tables out, karaoke, stalls selling fried chicken and MG ball caps, so could be a bit of a blast whilst waiting hours to crack on.....????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Currently, we would need to have two cars, and EV and a standard diesel for longer journeys. I don't see that as being very "green". Yesterday we did an unexpected  trip to visit a sick family member, Chiang Rai province to Chiang Mai and back in the same day, it was probably 500km return and of course over hilly terrain, bad for battery range, and return journey was in darkness. Tell me how that would be possible with current EVs ? We were only there for 2 hours at most, how much charge would a standard 230v outlet have given ?  Charging points at local MG dealer or shopping malls is irrelevant for that scenario. I'd love to have just an EV as a sole car, but it is the range more than anything else that is critical to me. That will come of course, as battery technology and technology in general improves. So, yes to an EV but "not yet" is my current view. It is great to see the government is providing some subsidies for sure.

An MG ZS long range has a range of 365 km. An MG fast DC charger would charge at 94 kW DC would add 410km/ hour so you would only need to stop once for a few minutes. 

A granny charger that you plug into a wall outlet gives about 3kW/ hour

BDE4BD7C-71A6-4B92-8E1E-E5A4854A5ED6.thumb.jpeg.0f91a18e22e85feb9e785235250f613b.jpeg

so again totally possible 

1 minute ago, Bandersnatch said:

An MG ZS long range has a range of 365 km. An MG fast DC charger would charge at 94 kW DC would add 410km/ hour so you would only need to stop once for a few minutes. 

A granny charger that you plug into a wall outlet gives about 3kW/ hour

BDE4BD7C-71A6-4B92-8E1E-E5A4854A5ED6.thumb.jpeg.0f91a18e22e85feb9e785235250f613b.jpeg

so again totally possible 

I think what is missing is the convenience factor - for me personally I would need (ok technically want) one regular dinosaur bone fueled car and one EV 

Looking at 'PlugShare' map, I see one 'bare' area, inland from coast of Pattani & Narathiwat, though didn't see how far, actual kms, stations were far reaches of main hwy.  So some planning needed if living, visiting that area.

If going Phangna to Ranong, hwy 4, then there is a 250 kms stretch you should, would, be aware of when planning.

But besides those, and I'm not seeing any spots to be concerned about in Thailand.

image.png.f823789753727a26022c4f5af62e3a8c.png

26 minutes ago, transam said:

I can just imagine all the MG dealer car park full of folk like you, all queuing up for juice, picnic tables out, karaoke, stalls selling fried chicken and MG ball caps, so could be a bit of a blast whilst waiting hours to crack on.....????

I just peeked at 'PlugShare' ... holy c r a p, that stretch between BKK-HH-PKK-Chumphon, is full up with stations.

image.png.4d61b14f8d36ee662e42192815156bce.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I just peeked at 'PlugShare' ... holy c r a p, that stretch between BKK-HH-PKK-Chumphon, is full up with stations.

image.png.4d61b14f8d36ee662e42192815156bce.png

The thing is, when you pull into a gas station you have 10+ pumps to choose from, filling the tank takes a couple of minutes.

Do these EV juice stations have numerous hook-ups to cater for long wait top-ups and multiple customers.

No use planning on topping up at a place where they haven't got the infrastructure to cope with multiple customers. 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 12:02 PM, Bandersnatch said:

and it gives me a range of 70km which is enough for nearly all journeys

70 km would JUST get me to Makro/Lotus and back. I'll stick to my Vigo. 

I got 1 more Northern loop in me, BKK - Udon Thani - CM/CR area, then back home to PKK, IF & when that parcel of UT land sells.  Don't see any CS (charging station) issue along the way.  Maybe some planning needed from NE - N side, that's about it.  And if smog season, that will be a short trip.

Rest of our travels will be local, PKK, within 150 km of for daily or overnight round trips..  Then further out & abouts southward.   More than enough CS southward, as no desire to go to bottom of Thailand.  Daughter is < 300 kms away at Krung Thep, so driving @ 90 kph, no issues.

Actually now, stay very local, and no real day trips, within 150 km.  Besides busy with house, can't see spending 300-500 baht in petrol with the ICE, for seeing what we've already seen, or exploring what else may be there.   When the EV arrives, actually can see ourselves out & about locally a lot more, a good thing, as I'm going nuts the past 6 months, staying near the house build.

Out & about to us is, we'll drive somewhere, 100 kms or so, for lunch, coffee, pastry, dinner, sunrise or sunset, a different view, a snapshot, maybe of different bird species.  Who knows, anything to get us out of the house.  Dog gets to sniff a new area, I get to fly the drone, wife buys a plant ... ANYTHING ????

EV will free my cheap charlie A$$ up ... worth it just for the smile factor.

Oh yea ... and Save the Planet, man ... ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, transam said:

The thing is, when you pull into a gas station you have 10+ pumps to choose from, filling the tank takes a couple of minutes.

Do these EV juice stations have numerous hook-ups to cater for long wait top-ups and multiple customers.

No use planning on topping up at a place where they haven't got the infrastructure to cope with multiple customers. 

You reserve your charging time on their app.  Don't think Qs will be a problem for a few years.

I'm not a big fan of driving further than 1 charge will get me anyway, so for us, it will be charging overnight at hotel, if having CS, or using granny charger at GH.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

I quite agree and my point exactly that the range between charging stations means an EV is of no use to me until more charges are built. However there seem to be a body of folk on here who can not comprehend that and they poodle around in town or else are so parochial they think a journey of nearly 200 km is a long way. 

7 minutes ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

I predict fatalities among the many pedestrians who use engine sound as their cue that oncoming traffic is approaching.

Definitely, as I've spooked more than a few on my e-scooter.  Am guilty of using sound when on my ebike, and caught myself a few times, not turning my head completely before changing road position ... so I can see more peds getting whacked crossing the street when EVs are popular.

Some places have 'mandatory sound producing laws' for EVs ... ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Definitely, as I've spooked more than a few on my e-scooter.  Am guilty of using sound when on my ebike, and caught myself a few times, not turning my head completely before changing road position ... so I can see more peds getting whacked crossing the street when EVs are popular.

Some places have 'mandatory sound producing laws' for EVs ... ????

This does seem quite prudent - that said with most modern cars & the amount of beeps & bongs that go off in the cabin we should get a pedestrian warning system coming soon (unless we already have) 

7 hours ago, Excel said:

I regularly drive from Udon to Phitsanulok province and there is not one charger on my route that I have seen.  Under normal driving conditions very few EV vehicles have a range in excess of 560 km + a bit to spare.  Of course if one has to divert 40 or 50 kms to a major town where there is a charger it really defeats the whole object does it not ?  Most certainly when PTT or others get their act together in the provinces an EV will be my 1st choice but currently not.

PTT alone or in cooperation with PEA has installed many chargers upcountry at NGV stations.

Those who search, will find

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, eezergood said:

This does seem quite prudent - that said with most modern cars & the amount of beeps & bongs that go off in the cabin we should get a pedestrian warning system coming soon (unless we already have) 

Drivers seeing the pedestrian isn't that much of a problem.  Stepping off the curb without looking seems to be.

This isn't the UK or EU where people actually stop at crosswalks in their vehicle.  And y'all take that stuff serious, as I watched YT vid of people just crossing and not looking.  That's crazy in my world, and you wouldn't do that in the USA.

Here even crazier, as the crosswalks are in stupid places, and not maintained, repainted every so often.

Actually, newer better insulated, smaller engine cars are pretty quiet.  Our Vios & Mazda 2 wasn't so much, but the MG ZS is rather quiet idling or cruising at low speed.  I need to use caution when driving by the fresh market, as people have stepped out in front of me.

All scooters are noticeable, along with diesels.  E-motorcycle, e-scooters (stand up) and ebikes will be involved with more than a few, as small profile besides being quiet.  Latter 2 hopefully at slow speeds.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

PTT alone or in cooperation with PEA has installed many chargers upcountry at NGV stations.

Those who search, will find

But as I said which some people have difficulty understanding, not on my route so if you search my posts you will find the facts.

3 hours ago, Excel said:

But as I said which some people have difficulty understanding, not on my route so if you search my posts you will find the facts.

Phitsanulok Province, and distances from Phit town, to surrounding provinces.

What are we missing ?

image.png.d7f6e5925587b4bbf3a55156fa733962.png

• Like 1

We have spent enough time answering the question:

“Is it possible to charge an EV on a long trip in Thailand?”

The answer is yes - so let’s move on.

The only caveat being it is easier if you choose an EV with good dealer charging support. Currently the clear winner in Thailand is MG. GWM has promised the same but has yet to be rolled out. Tesla has recently set up a company in Thailand and has a reputation of offering the best charging support of any EV manufacturer. 

MG fast DC charges charge at 94 kW DC adding 410km/hour so a 22 minute charge adds 150km of range. Tesla charge at twice that rate with some cars charging at three times.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Excel said:

I regularly drive from Udon to Phitsanulok province and there is not one charger on my route that I have seen.  Under normal driving conditions very few EV vehicles have a range in excess of 560 km + a bit to spare.  Of course if one has to divert 40 or 50 kms to a major town where there is a charger it really defeats the whole object does it not ?  Most certainly when PTT or others get their act together in the provinces an EV will be my 1st choice but currently not.

image.png.6b279ed692ab8451e224a09bba6e5c96.png

• Thanks 2

A question to those who own an EV. 

How much is the road tax in Thailand on an EV, is it the same as on ICE cars? As an example, what would the road tax be on a MG ZS EV compared to a petrol powered MG ZS?

4 minutes ago, Sophon said:

A question to those who own an EV. 

How much is the road tax in Thailand on an EV, is it the same as on ICE cars? As an example, what would the road tax be on a MG ZS EV compared to a petrol powered MG ZS?

The road tax, per annum, for the MGZS EV is ฿1,300.

No idea how much for the ICE version, but I know it's more. 

• Thanks 1