Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 5/31/2022 at 6:58 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Neta is a new Chinese EV manufacturer planning to develop a presence in Thailand this year.

https://www.facebook.com/NetaAutoThailand/

Neta Auto Thailand is continuing to develop the network for 2 more areas, including 12 locations, to meet the general needs of customers and to increase their confidence. You are safe in every journey with us.
New NETA Showroom in 2 Areas
???? NETA bypass-Chonburi
???? NETA informs Watthana-Muang Thong Thani.
Together with 10 more NETA Showrooms
???? NETA Laemthong-Rayong
???? NETA Mahidol-Chiang Mai
???? NETA Asia Highway-Uttaradit
???? NETA Ramkhamheng-Hua Mak
???? NETA Rama Two-Saedam
???? NETA Ratchapruek-Nakhonin
???? NETA Lopburi Rameswar – Hatyai
???? NETA Tivanon-Pathumthani
???? NETA Catfish Laduk-Bang Buathong
???? NETA bypass-Udon Thani
NETA Showroom is ready to welcome all customers from Q3 onwards.

Netta U Pro is the top model with an impressive 81kWh battery and claimed 610km range $26,000 in China

The currently only available model Neta V looks quite small and a bit akward. Can just be from the pictures, I need to see in real.

Neta S is awesome, that's the kind of EVs I would like to see in Thailand

1 hour ago, CLW said:

The currently only available model Neta V looks quite small and a bit akward. Can just be from the pictures, I need to see in real.

The youtube review I saw was not so amazing, to be honest it looked very cheap in terms of fit & finish 

• Like 1

Neta V is actually impressive, 'considering' what else (POCCO - tinker car / 550k) is on offer in the  < 600k baht range.  With a NEDC range of 380 km NEDC range, so not too shabby in that department.

https://mgronline.com/motoring/detail/9650000030324

Would like to see one and get hands on.  Heading to Krung Thep this month, and may have to take a peek at one. 

Not sure the wife would go for something smaller than the ZS, as I was fine with the EP, but she liked the higher seating, visibility of ZS.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not quite sure what SUV means any more:

Well it does say Compact SUV ????

More like a "crossover" if that has any meaning also !

6 hours ago, CLW said:

I agree with you, but if the Neta U is $26,000 the Neta V will be even cheaper - we definitely need some cheaper EVs in Thailand.

And yes the Neta S is awesome:

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I agree with you, but if the Neta U is $26,000 the Neta V will be even cheaper - we definitely need some cheaper EVs in Thailand.

And yes the Neta S is awesome:

Saw that YT-VDO, too.

Actually I don't really need lots of horsepower or range.

Just like the sedan design of the Neta S.

Something like this isn't available in Thailand yet (at least not in the normal price range).

I said it before, new MG5 as EV would be a hit here.

Looking forward to introduction and pricing of Tesla models here, too.

• Like 1

Based on what I have seen posted on other EV topics there are quite number of expats here who don't want to be seen driving a Chinese EV.

You could be leasing a BMW iX3 for ฿30,000 a month (It's made in China but the neighbours won't know that) 

521018016_BMWiX3lease.jpg.dcb698b86a08af000d62db22e465ed9e.jpg.c595ec738cd6dc44845c75ee4d792cc2.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

You could be leasing a BMW iX3 for ฿30,000 a month (It's made in China but the neighbours won't know that) 

Interesting, I didn't know BMW had a plant in China.

I think details of that financing agreement are:

*** Monthly installments are calculated from price with BSI STANDARD package according to the Hire Purchase with Balloon agreement, with a 35% down payment for a period of 60 months and a final 35% Balloon payment of the retail price

• Like 1

Just now, eezergood said:

Love this colour

Looks nice, wonder if it will come to Thailand ? Problem is insufficient charging points in the provinces which make long journeys almost impossible currently.

I have no doubt the usual boring dinosaurs will be along soon to add their usual criticism.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Excel said:

Looks nice, wonder if it will come to Thailand ? Problem is insufficient charging points in the provinces which make long journeys almost impossible currently.

I have no doubt the usual boring dinosaurs will be along soon to add their usual criticism.

Many, inclusive would disagree with that 'opinion'.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Many, inclusive would disagree with that 'opinion'.

Not those with a modicum of  knowledge who perhaps life outside the Bangkok/Pattya/Chiang Mai and other major city communes.  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Not those with a modicum of  knowledge who perhaps life outside the Bangkok/Pattya/Chiang Mai and other major city communes.  

Those who 'own', don't seem to be having much problem when out & about.  So I'll take their experiences over the non experienced.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Excel said:

I use EA Anywhere as a destination charger 7kW AC at Robinson Surin, Buriram. Khon Khen  has several EA chargers but not at the Malls. Couple of weeks ago I was at Pattaya Central Festival and charger there was free:

E54088D3-8C7A-47E8-99FD-D4EA949E527D.jpeg.a949f3d3be9e2c66fdc2e9ede5bae3ba.jpeg

The MG app maps out the DC fast chargers at MG showrooms:

8B0055DD-926F-4210-BE4D-D5D814B9A538.thumb.png.9f946d4d5df292b04bcdb0449017d22d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Those who 'own', don't seem to be having much problem when out & about.  So I'll take their experiences over the non experienced.

What a stupid response. Why buy or "own" if you can not use the vehicle.

1 minute ago, Bandersnatch said:

I use EA Anywhere as a destination charger 7kW AC at Robinson Surin, Buriram. Khon Khen  has several EA chargers but not at the Malls. Couple of weeks ago I was at Pattaya Central Festival and charger there was free:

E54088D3-8C7A-47E8-99FD-D4EA949E527D.jpeg.a949f3d3be9e2c66fdc2e9ede5bae3ba.jpeg

The MG app maps out the DC fast chargers at MG showrooms:

8B0055DD-926F-4210-BE4D-D5D814B9A538.thumb.png.9f946d4d5df292b04bcdb0449017d22d.png

I regularly drive from Udon to Phitsanulok province and there is not one charger on my route that I have seen.  Under normal driving conditions very few EV vehicles have a range in excess of 560 km + a bit to spare.  Of course if one has to divert 40 or 50 kms to a major town where there is a charger it really defeats the whole object does it not ?  Most certainly when PTT or others get their act together in the provinces an EV will be my 1st choice but currently not.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 10:07 AM, Bandersnatch said:

In October of this year BMW will be releasing the iX1  - currently no info on prices. 

When I spoke to BMW staff at the Korat Motor Show in March they said they were hoping to assemble the iX1 at the Rayong plant and so be eligible for the government EV incentives, but at the time negotiations were on still ongoing. 

https://www.bmwgroup-werke.com/rayong/en.html

If the government were serious about EV’s they would reduce the import tax on them. 

They don’t... its clear they care about the money more than reducing pollution in the cities etc.

If the government cared about pollution in Thailands towns and cities they’d have been running Electric busses in cities such as Bangkok over the last 10 years or so (instead of planning to spend billions on submarines).

The are of course major ‘grid’ issues if many get EV’s... the night time demand will overwhelm the network, huge electrical infrastructure needs to be developed - As it stands every time there is a storm a nearby transformer blows and we have a power cut... Thus we have a cut about once or twice per month on average...  

Does anyone want to take up to find their car is not charged ?

The Thai Government has been excellent at not ripping off the general population with Gas (Petrol Prices), whereas in the UK we see the fuel prices rising incredibly as the price of oil increases yet we didn’t see the fuel prices drop with the price of oil dropped so significantly over previous years (down to less than $30 per bbl for a while). 

Will other countries, and Thailand hike the prices of electricity when night time demand increases as more and more people have EV’s ??

Then there is the a further facet, the resale value of EV’s... Do people want to buy second hand EV’s when  a new battery is so expensive or worse, may not be available on an older model car (which is 8 years old etc) ?

EV’s are great in theory and I think would be great for nipping around town, the shopping and school run etc (same for electric motorcycles when that market matures a little) - but the costs remain prohibitive if the government are still charging crazy tax.

Example: a basic Tesla Model 3 is US$40,000 (1.3MB) in the US...   how much is it in Thailand ? 3-4 million Baht ?

8 minutes ago, Excel said:

Why buy or "own" if you can not use the vehicle.

The vast majority of my charging is done at home. It is only rare out of province trips that require public chargers. I have owned an EV for over a year. An EV in Thailand is definitely possible. Anybody who says it is not possible here doesn’t know what they are talking about.

84DC8804-FA6A-4F02-87E1-3569FB9EB4AD.jpeg.b3b9bceff5bcdfb6defa2f830e0f691c.jpeg

883BF049-4513-4084-939C-37E67804C138.thumb.jpeg.88981072a6c20d7fbdaef06109845cd8.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Example: a basic Tesla Model 3 is US$40,000 (1.3MB) in the US...   how much is it in Thailand ? 3-4 million Baht ?

Please read my opening post to this topic if you do not want to get your post deleted. This is a discussion about EVs in Thailand or coming to Thailand not imports at stupid prices. If you had bothered to read previous posts you would know that Tesla has recently registered a sales company in Thailand. 

D10ED189-D7F1-4C83-BC71-E59D95078C91.jpeg.fd93d3040a9aea9421e9996acb5d47d5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

The vast majority of my charging is done at home. It is only rare out of province trips that require public chargers. I have owned an EV for over a year. An EV in Thailand is definitely possible. Anybody who says it is not possible here doesn’t know what they are talking about.

84DC8804-FA6A-4F02-87E1-3569FB9EB4AD.jpeg.b3b9bceff5bcdfb6defa2f830e0f691c.jpeg

883BF049-4513-4084-939C-37E67804C138.thumb.jpeg.88981072a6c20d7fbdaef06109845cd8.jpeg

Of course for short hops or city bound folk an EV  is usable, but as I illustrated, out in the provinces it is not yet a practical alternative for long journeys due to lack of charging stations so hence if you can not charge why would you buy one ?.