24-year-old motorbike driver seriously injured after colliding with a pickup truck in Chonburi

snoop1130

77902-696x387.jpg

PHOTO: Wisarn Sangjaroen

A 24-year-old motorbike driver was knocked unconscious and severely injured after he collided his motorbike with a pickup truck in the Phan Thong district.

The Phan Thong Police were notified of the accident earlier this week, Tuesday, April 20th, around 4:00 P.M. on the Phan Thong – Aomkaew Road in the Phan Thong sub-district.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Emergency responders arrived at the scene to find the damaged motorbike stuck in front of a damaged white pickup truck. Mr. Wuttichai Salangam, 24, was found unconscious nearby. He was rushed to a local hospital for urgent medical assistance.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/21/24-year-old-motorbike-driver-seriously-injured-after-colliding-with-a-pickup-truck-in-chonburi/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-04-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Now, when riding defensively, I’d chose to make my intentions very clear. 

If turning right on a fast moving road, if I can’t make the turn comfortably and there is traffic approaching behind me, I move over to the left and wait for a gap, I don’t stop in the middle of the road (no on a motorcycle in Thailand). Or, I drive on further for a suitable place to turn (U-turn and come back). 

Very similar - on a highway or other fast road, I start watching traffic behind and around me when I'm way back from a right turn and try to adjust my speed to be able to get myself in a position to turn right. That's not always successful as it also depends on the traffic coming from the opposite direction.  Waiting to turn right in a car in Thailand can be a scary experience but on a bike its terrifying.  U turns, well known sources of accidents, are probably one of the only places that are safer for motorbikes and I agree, its often safer to go on and find one than to turn right.

You only have to be on a dual carriageway/multi lane system where there are road works to see why there's danger at a right time.  Thai driver's attitude when they see a lane closing because of roadworks is not to move over to the left as soon as possible - its to go as fast as they possibly can and in their minds, get to the front.  The apply the same mentallity when approaching a junction, bat on hell for leather, never mind if there might be someone waiting to turn right. Many's the time when I have been waiting to make a right turn and felt a little more than the wind from a passing car.

On the subject of the accident above, yes its easy to say that the truck should keep a safe distance but this is Thailand and accidents are not often as they seem.  Thai bikers (mainly smaller bikes) do some very odd things and rarely look where they're going.  The photo above throws up some questions - clearly the bike has been moved (text says is was stuck in the front of the truck.  The damage to the truck is not superficial yet the rear wheel of the bike appears undamaged.  The liquid on the ground looks like oil, why would the engine be damaged and the back wheel not be if the bike was hit from behind? 

I suppose the oil could be from the truck if its been moved back to free the bike. All a bit odd.

• Like 1

I just watched a thai guy leave a club and try to ride a motorbike, he was trying to ride it while unable to stand 

I have seriously zero sympathy if he rides into the back of a truck - but maybe lucky for him he won't get that far because he is just so ###### he will keep falling over 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, NE1 said:

If you rear end somebody , then it is your fault . It doesn't matter what the vehicle in front of you is doing.

He could have been braking to avoid a child or dog.

He could be stopped and parked, while he gets some noodle soup, or pops into the 7-11.... for a beer. 

9 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Very similar - on a highway or other fast road, I start watching traffic behind and around me when I'm way back from a right turn and try to adjust my speed to be able to get myself in a position to turn right. That's not always successful as it also depends on the traffic coming from the opposite direction.  Waiting to turn right in a car in Thailand can be a scary experience but on a bike its terrifying.  U turns, well known sources of accidents, are probably one of the only places that are safer for motorbikes and I agree, its often safer to go on and find one than to turn right.

You only have to be on a dual carriageway/multi lane system where there are road works to see why there's danger at a right time.  Thai driver's attitude when they see a lane closing because of roadworks is not to move over to the left as soon as possible - its to go as fast as they possibly can and in their minds, get to the front.  The apply the same mentallity when approaching a junction, bat on hell for leather, never mind if there might be someone waiting to turn right. Many's the time when I have been waiting to make a right turn and felt a little more than the wind from a passing car.

On the subject of the accident above, yes its easy to say that the truck should keep a safe distance but this is Thailand and accidents are not often as they seem.  Thai bikers (mainly smaller bikes) do some very odd things and rarely look where they're going.  The photo above throws up some questions - clearly the bike has been moved (text says is was stuck in the front of the truck.  The damage to the truck is not superficial yet the rear wheel of the bike appears undamaged.  The liquid on the ground looks like oil, why would the engine be damaged and the back wheel not be if the bike was hit from behind? 

I suppose the oil could be from the truck if its been moved back to free the bike. All a bit odd.

From my take on the photo  I don't believe the bike was moved.  Looking at the photo one can see impact was made on the left driver side. Having seen simulation of accident with bikes on contact a small tap would cause the bike to over turn.  Of course without seeing more of the photo marks on the floor match it with the scratches on the side of the bike would would confirm or denied. 

Just a generalization but these pickups with the tin can on the back delivery trucks in Pattaya the last few years I considered to be some of the most dangerous they travel through small neighborhood Soi at excessive speed tailgating everything in sight then you got motorbikes not understanding the proper use under and overtaking which in Thailand is a violatonship if done 200 or so meters from an intersection.

Edited by thailand49

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Translation.... "I was speeding an didn’t slow down for a stopping motorcycle, I was driving dangerously and carelessly, and I’m a an utter liar"

Just one other point - why does the vehicle in front need any reason to stop ?

IF the vehicle in front stops, so do you regardless if they have a reason or not. 

Now, when riding defensively, I’d chose to make my intentions very clear. 

If turning right on a fast moving road, if I can’t make the turn comfortably and there is traffic approaching behind me, I move over to the left and wait for a gap, I don’t stop in the middle of the road (no on a motorcycle in Thailand). Or, I drive on further for a suitable place to turn (U-turn and come back). 

The  one thing you can be sure of 100% with Thai  drivers  is  they will  do the stupidest thing possible at any given time and this is why they end up dead. They also do not learn and do the same thing repeatedly even after a close  shave, seen it many times,  just recently cars  too close almost rams the one in front and after the near miss  also helped by two other  morons  crossing a  dual carriageway and trying to go the wrong way up it then  proceeeds to tailgate the car he almost just  rammed.............dont believe me heres  the video,,,,, Note the two pick ups  causing the first problem, follwed by the cretin being to  close. After this he  undertook carried  on down the raod and tailgated the next vehicle, and finally the last  pick up still waiting at the U  turn then did the same as his  two  pals  crossing the road to go up it the wrong way. I treat every Thai driver as a  moron, its the only safe way, also to  note the front retard who as often the case  refuses to keep left when the road is  100%  clear.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

If you rear end somebody , then it is your fault . It doesn't matter what the vehicle in front of you is doing.

Not true. Google is your friend.

In rear-end car accidents, the rear driver is presumed to be at fault. However, this is not always the case, and depending on the circumstances of the accident, you may or may not be at fault.

https://www.thelawplace.com/faqs/can-i-be-found-guilty-in-a-rear-end-car-accident/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

The  one thing you can be sure of 100% with Thai  drivers  is  they will  do the stupidest thing possible at any given time and this is why they end up dead. They also do not learn and do the same thing repeatedly even after a close  shave, seen it many times,  just recently cars  too close almost rams the one in front and after the near miss  also helped by two other  morons  crossing a  dual carriageway and trying to go the wrong way up it then  proceeeds to tailgate the car he almost just  rammed.............dont believe me heres  the video,,,,, Note the two pick ups  causing the first problem, follwed by the cretin being to  close. After this he  undertook carried  on down the raod and tailgated the next vehicle, and finally the last  pick up still waiting at the U  turn then did the same as his  two  pals  crossing the road to go up it the wrong way. I treat every Thai driver as a  moron, its the only safe way, also to  note the front retard who as often the case  refuses to keep left when the road is  100%  clear.

Hmm, I don't see anything out of the ordinary in your video.  Just a normal day on the roads in Thailand!

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Having looked through this , all it is , is a bunch of excuses for rear ending somebody and saying " it's not my fault "

If you are driving any vehicle and driving to the road conditions and with due care and attention , then there is no excuse for rear ending somebody.

25 minutes ago, NE1 said:

If you are driving any vehicle and driving to the road conditions and with due care and attention , then there is no excuse for rear ending somebody.

That is still not true. So who's at fault if there are more than 2 cars involved in a shunt? 

As a lead/front driver, you could be liable for a rear-end accident if you:

• Didn’t have working tail lights and brake lights
  • Stop suddenly for no reason and remain stopped
  • Stop or slow down to make a turn, but do not turn
  • Drive in reverse
  • Fail to use your hazards to communicate with other drivers, or
  • Are distracted and fail to move through an intersection after a traffic light turns green.

•  
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

That is still not true. So who's at fault if there are more than 2 cars involved in a shunt? 

a shunt is avoidable if the person who started the shunt is driving to the road conditions and with due care and attention.

So it is the shuntee who is responsible.

34 minutes ago, NE1 said:
39 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

a shunt is avoidable if the person who started the shunt is driving to the road conditions and with due care and attention.

So it is the shuntee who is responsible.

I think he means...  If someone shunts you, and that shunts you into the car in front. 

If I’m not mistaken, there is a law in Thailand which states when stopped you have to leave a 5m gap to the car in front. 

Thus: IF the car in front hits you and shunts you into the car in front, it ‘could’ be your fault if you didn’t leave that 5m gap. Realistically, if its a lorry etc, then 5m isn’t going to make a difference.

Thus: each situation is dynamic and individual - not always the fault of the car which hit the vehicle in front & there are various possibilities, not only in multi-car pipe-ups, but also with someone pulling out and slamming on the brakes etc (i.e. insurance scammers).

So no - its not always the fault of the driver of the car who rear-ended someone. But, most of the time, under normal driving conditions it is. 

In this case one poster has alluded to the possibility of the motorcyclists riding poorly and into the path of the faster truck - possible.... and thats why its important to always have a dash-cam running (to protect us). 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1