Security USB with FIDO-2 Security key

I would like some help if anyone can about how to obtain the above Security USB with FIDO-2 Security key

It appears my Bank of America is refusing to allow me to make an International transfer to Bangkok Bank unless i use this security USB or get a code sent to a phone number i have in America whilst setting up the transfer. 

Basically it means i am unable to start sending money to my Thai bank monthly to show income that is required for my visa process. Since the phone used in America is a home number and I have not been in contact with them for many years. My only other option is this USB. Which I guess i will need to find and perhaps have sent from America also. Does anyone know any other options? Or a local source to obtain this type of USB? Or even another means to send money from my Bank of America to my Bangkok bank where it will show monthly transfers from outside Thailand to meet the immigration guidelines for their marriage visa? 

56 minutes ago, thesetat said:

I would like some help if anyone can about how to obtain the above Security USB with FIDO-2 Security key

I've never heard of that.  How does that device work in order to make a transfer.

Why not just transfer to domestic WISE and let them make the transfers?  You can even set up automatic monthly payments.  Likely will not cost any more.  I have Wise set up to make a $1400 transfer on 2nd and 3rd of each month and seems to work well; using ACH payment from my bank that WISE draws.

Edited by lopburi3

36 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Why not just transfer to domestic WISE and let them make the transfers? 

Can you share any details which might help the OP?

Originating bank? Does it require 2FA as BofA does (for amounts greater than $1,000).

You use WISE to transfer to Bangkok Bank? What is "domestic" WISE? "Bank debit (ACH)"?

When I trialled WISE from BofA to Bangkok Bank, I was required to use PLAID, AND use 2FA.

46 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Can you share any details which might help the OP?

Originating bank? Does it require 2FA as BofA does (for amounts greater than $1,000).

You use WISE to transfer to Bangkok Bank? What is "domestic" WISE? "Bank debit (ACH)"?

When I trialled WISE from BofA to Bangkok Bank, I was required to use PLAID, AND use 2FA.

I use USAA for payment - but Wise has various options including cards.  Wise pulls via ACH from my bank account - no special requirements once set up (and was set up by logging onto bank online account page via 3rd party secure system years ago).  I also use a local Colorado bank for payments - same system.   ACH can be either pull or push but I use WISE pull - not sure of setup requirements to push from home bank.

Suspect it better to get current information by logging onto WISE web site but I know SWIFT is also much more of a chore with my banks than using WISE, which is one reason I use it.

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I use USAA for payment

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

also use a local Colorado bank

OK, so not BofA.

Were I the OP, with what little details have been provided, I'd courier a FIDO key today, and try to get some SMS-capable numbers (in the U.S.) set up ASAP.

Maybe ask a trusted family member to set up a Google Voice number for you? I use Talkatone as a back-up, works with BofA.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.talkatone.android

But I haven't used it recently, and Talkatone has introduced a new paid option for 4,5 and 6 digit Short-Code SMSes. You can always utilize the "Call me" option with BofA.

BofA charges $45 for an international wire transfer (in USD). WISE will yield more THB.

On 4/23/2022 at 5:19 PM, thesetat said:

It appears my Bank of America is refusing to allow me to make an International transfer to Bangkok Bank unless i use this security USB or get a code sent to a phone number i have in America whilst setting up the transfer. 

Yes I had to order a USB-fido security key last year to transfer money from BofA.   Yes ordered one from Amazon and it took a couple weeks.

Also had to download a WiFi second line app so I could receive a PIN code from BofA .  Code can only be sent to a U.S. phone number is why I had to get the "second line" app .

BofA website has the simple procedure once you log on and follow how to verify the security key.  It works 

18 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Yes ordered one from Amazon and it took a couple weeks.

You can buy one locally, easily have it couriered same day.

I used this company, also on Lazada:

https://anbsmarttech.co.th/en/purchase-yubikey-from-our-online-store/

I use the Yubikey 5 NFC (USB-A).

Just to be clear, the FIDO Key simply replaces the old SafePass digital-display security card.

Other forms of secondary authentication, required for certain activities, like SMS/Call me remain viable.

Two-factor authentication

Two-factor authentication is a way of verifying your identity that requires you to provide an additional piece of information beyond your User ID and Password.

The additional information is typically a one-time time-sensitive six-digit code sent to you via text message or email. This extra layer of authentication helps protect you in the event your User ID and/or Password are compromised.

We use two-factor authentication to verify your identity at various points in your Online Banking experience. In addition to signing in, this might include making a transfer, adding a new Bill Pay payee or signing in using an unrecognized device.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1